Back at it!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some serious shoulder issues sidelined me back in September of '17. I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in my bow shoulder and the days of shooting 4,5,6 tournaments a month and 30-40 arrows a day to stay competitive came to a screeching halt. My Doc was talking about shoulder replacement. At 65 I've never been cut on intentionally and I've been looking for treatments that might keep that from happening. In October last year she suggested trying some injections and I've had two rounds of them now with pretty good results. I also found some OTC meds that have been awesome in reducing the inflammation, in fact so well that I actually picked up a few of my longbows and flung a few last week. .

Experimenting with new ways to come to draw I found a method that eliminated that spot in raising the bow where I'd felt like I'd been shot with an 8D ringshank. With positive results during the week I decided to shoot my second tournament in 18 months yesterday. Jay Sea and the guys at BOCO laid out an awesome new course and I had a blast seeing my old archery buddies again!

It wasn't pretty, had some 5's on the longer targets, but I did manage to get the W with a 175 on 20 targets, even managed a few 12's in there. The great thing is that I'm not hurting today! Traditional archery had become such an important part of my life that not shooting is just not an option if there's a way. So as long as the meds and shots keep working I'm gonna keep flingin'!

Attachments

• 12s.jpg
    12s.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 22

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How many people shoot traditional 3D, nowadays? How many at your last tournament? Previous state championships?

I've been out of it for a long time. It sure was fun, back in the day, though. We'd have HUNDREDS at ETAR, ATAR, Union Cross, etc... Snakeskinner used to have some GREAT tournaments.

Glad your shoulder's doing better. I've had surgery on both of mine and they're much better for it.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How many people shoot traditional 3D, nowadays? How many at your last tournament? Previous state championships?

I've been out of it for a long time. It sure was fun, back in the day, though. We'd have HUNDREDS at ETAR, ATAR, Union Cross, etc... Snakeskinner used to have some GREAT tournaments.

Glad your shoulder's doing better. I've had surgery on both of mine and they're much better for it.
Thanks DB, glad it worked out well for you bud! Surgery wouldn't bother me too much I don't think, my doctor was talking full replacement. That scares the crap out of me and as long as I can control the inflammation and pain I'm going to put it off as long as possible...

There aren't many trad shooters these days here in North Carolina any more DB, it's a little pond unless you're shooting wheels. Maybe 6-8 serious shooters and a small handful who just want to shoot a State Championship show up on a regular basis. And it's like you've said in the past, you can only shoot against the ones who show up. Our border states shoots, SC and VA, I don't think are any better. I do know the scores I've seen from them wouldn't ordinarily hold up here at one of our State shoots. I know because I've shot against the guy who's been winning all of them many times and as of the State Championship last year he hadn't gotten past me. I'm not bragging, it's just fact.

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Not many do the ASA shoot longrifle. We have 40 to near 60 shooters a month at CTA. Probably that many at Barefoot's when their shoots occur, 3rd Sat in March, May, and Aug.

There is talk of a state trad shoot in Guilford County in late May. It is just talk for now. Gotta work out the kinks.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bud if things work out with this shoulder I'd love to try to make some of those but they're so danged far away for me to shoot regularly! I live slam out on the coast!
What rules do they use equipment-wise?

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
I’m an old traditional shooter my self went through the compound stage for many years still have quite a few. I shot a lot of indoor spot shoots from early 90s With compound I was N.C. state champion In bow hunter freestyle for 6 years straight 96 - 01. Twice won the southeastern championship Stop shooting in 01 started back a few years back first year back won state championship in Senior bow hunter freestyle then put the compound down and built a long bow and have won a state championship in senior traditional class All the 3Ds that I have been to the past couple years have been shooting tradional I have built over a dozen bows over the last 5-6 years I just about finished with the latest for a young man that shoots for a local school team. He just won his class in the state shoot using an old 1964 bear Kodiak special that I let him use His bow that I’m working on is a takedown 64” deflected/reflex longbow it has bocote riser with curly maple at the grip area and up through the shelf. Osage limb laminates under clear glass with bamboo and carbon core. 42# @28”
Here is just a few of some I have made25315253162531825322

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All I can say is WOW NC bowjunkie! Outstanding work! It's an honor to have that kind of talent and archery history here on NCH&F! Best of luck to you sir, hope we meet on a course sometime!