Avon

fishhunt365

Headed to Avon for 2.5 weeks In October. Oceanfront home across from Frank and frans. Does anyone know if the dunes are real steep on the oceanside. Hard to tell from pics.

fishhunt365

Just curious about the tote from the house down to the beach. Sometimes it's an easy walk down with fishing cart ,dog, wife ,awning. Sometimes it's a hike back up to the house. Never been to Avon. Always fort Fisher so this is a new thing something different.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
In Avon, the dunes north of the Avon pier are still pretty much intact and fairy steep when we stayed in north Avon the last week of October and first week of November last year. The dunes south of the pier were pretty much gone after some storms in the spring of 2018 and then Hurricane Florence last fall, but they were building those back up as of April and May this year. We've been staying in a couple beach front houses in Avon the past several years, one about 1/4 or so north of the pier and one in south Avon across from the Food Lion shopping center. About 25% of the houses on the north side of Avon have built up walk ways but most have sand paths to the beach. Starting 15 October you can drive on the beach there in Avon if you have a 4WD vehicle but, you'll also need a ORV permit which you can get at the Cape Hatteras lighthouse ranger office.

fishhunt365

Yep I've got my pass already. We are basically staying in front of Frank and frans. But I will have my Toyota there. The weekend we leave they open up that stretch in front of our house for orv. But now we all will have to deal with the no flounder thing,but I get it

fishhunt365

In Avon, the dunes north of the Avon pier are still pretty much intact and fairy steep when we stayed in north Avon the last week of October and first week of November last year. The dunes south of the pier were pretty much gone after some storms in the spring of 2018 and then Hurricane Florence last fall, but they were building those back up as of April and May this year. We've been staying in a couple beach front houses in Avon the past several years, one about 1/4 or so north of the pier and one in south Avon across from the Food Lion shopping center. About 25% of the houses on the north side of Avon have built up walk ways but most have sand paths to the beach. Starting 15 October you can drive on the beach there in Avon if you have a 4WD vehicle but, you'll also need a ORV permit which you can get at the Cape Hatteras lighthouse ranger office.
Thanks for the info. We are basically in front of Frank and frans. For the first 2 weeks of October

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Really couldn’t tell you. It’s been so long since I’ve left from home, and not work, in Charlotte, that I can’t remember. Plus I always make a few stops once I get to Nags Head. I can be at Oregon Inlet in 6hrs..... did in 5:15 one Sunday morning about 15 years ago before I knew better. ?

About 30min south from there

fishhunt365

That's purdy good. My wife says 8 hours with our dog. Figure five keave Lincoln co by should be there by 2. The dog doesn't have to pee that much.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
From the house up in Rockingham Co., north of Greensboro, I can be crossing the new Bonner Bridge (I know is called Bassnight but it will always be the Bonner to me) in 5.5 hours, doing the speed limit to +5. Add another 45 minutes to Avon.

Watch out when you leave Columbia and get on that stretch of 64 going through East Lake and into Manns Harbor, as the troopers are hot and heavy on that stretch all the time. On Hwy 12 south the Dare County deputies have been pretty thick on it the last 2 or 3 months.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
From the house up in Rockingham Co., north of Greensboro, I can be crossing the new Bonner Bridge (I know is called Bassnight but it will always be the Bonner to me) in 5.5 hours, doing the speed limit to +5. Add another 45 minutes to Avon.

Watch out when you leave Columbia and get on that stretch of 64 going through East Lake and into Manns Harbor, as the troopers are hot and heavy on that stretch all the time. On Hwy 12 south the Dare County deputies have been pretty thick on it the last 2 or 3 months.
Thanks for the reminder, I'll be trying to get to Hatteras asap tomorrow afternoon and I sure don't need to donate to the trooper fund.

fishhunt365

Good info thanks. I'm just west of Charlotte by about 20 minutes. We got an early check in at 1:30. So probably about 7 hours then. I have a new truck but damn that's still a long ride. But I'm sure it will be worth it.?

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
To the OP's original question, I stayed at an oceanfront house in north Avon for a week last October, and would not even have attempted a walk to the beach. It was just too far. Dunes were not steep, we had an unobstructed view of the ocean, but at a distance. We drove everywhere we wanted to fish, so no problem. In all my years down there I never realized some ocean front houses were so far from the water. But we had previously stayed at Buxton or Frisco, first time ocean front at Avon.