Auto insurance

rescue934

Twelve Pointer
Long story
Monday afternoon I was rear-ended on 1-40.
I have two boondoggles in the next 4 weeks. Lots of time and money in the nonrefundable trips. All the tail lights are busted out and the tailgate is trashed. His insurance company is giving me the runaround on a rental. Telling me to go through my insurance. I'm about to lose it on these people. Auto owners is his company. Telling me they have to decide fault. The highway patrol already did

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I really don't like dealing with attorneys unless it is necessary. But if you are in a time crunch that would be your best bet. And most likely they will get their fee out his company in the end.

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
Your insurance should have their own attorney working for you! Go ahead and get a rental. Either your insurance or his will pay for it.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Long story
Monday afternoon I was rear-ended on 1-40.
I have two boondoggles in the next 4 weeks. Lots of time and money in the nonrefundable trips. All the tail lights are busted out and the tailgate is trashed. His insurance company is giving me the runaround on a rental. Telling me to go through my insurance. I'm about to lose it on these people. Auto owners is his company. Telling me they have to decide fault. The highway patrol already did
Highway patrol (nor any LE Agency in NC) does not determine or find fault. That’s up to insurance. They may issue a citation to help the insurance company determine who is at fault.

Your insurance company should be acting on your behalf.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Highway patrol (nor any LE Agency in NC) does not determine or find fault. That’s up to insurance. They may issue a citation to help the insurance company determine who is at fault.

Good luck with that....mine didn't. Told me that I had to deal with it myself since I was rear ended.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
This stuff makes my back hurt thinking about it!
Some people claim the pain doesn't set in until 2-3 days after the accident.... In the current environment, even if they agreed today, you might not be able to get it fixed by then. Might want to look into borrowing a vehicle, using temporary taillights, or, as others have said, go rent one, it may be a while, but you "should" get your money back. Agreed with others, I would call my agent and ask him to contact the other guys. Oh, don't forget that all correspondence should be by email/writing.

Johnnie

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so what I have learned, and may only pertain to my insurance company and not others, but I expect they are all about the same

if you have "rental car" coverage/rider/clause on YOUR policy, then your insurance company will deal with the other drivers insurance company on who pays for that rental car

if you DON'T have that "rental car" coverage/rider/clause you need to work it with the other company

now, my insurance company adjusters will "make a call" but it's up to the other company on how tough it will be

We've been lucky so far - other companies covered it

timber

Twelve Pointer
Had same thing happen. Was rear ended totaled both vechicles along with my back. My insurance company arranged for the rental all i had to do was go pick it up. Guess they work it out among themselves. Which didnt need it keep it one day and took it back. Im not a car person

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Auto owners insurance is the worst had a wreck 8/2017 had to file with my insurance company. We are still pending court case because they are denying responsibility because they are claiming because I was driving a dark color vehicle it was part my fault. The other driver turned in front of me and had macular degeneration and shouldn’t have been driving. Have 180,000. In medical expenses and they offered 40,000.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Auto owners insurance is the worst had a wreck 8/2017 had to file with my insurance company. We are still pending court case because they are denying responsibility because they are claiming because I was driving a dark color vehicle it was part my fault. The other driver turned in front of me and had macular degeneration and shouldn’t have been driving. Have 180,000. In medical expenses and they offered 40,000.

If you health insurance company has medical leins against the accident between that and attorney fees you want get much

timber

Twelve Pointer
Its amazing how much the at faults drivers statement can change once they sit down with there insurance company’s attorney

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
You can call your insurance company, and get them to cover everything and then go after the other party's insurance. Only issue there is it can take a while to get it sorted out.
I HATE dealing with insurance companies.
In my experience they tend to act like it's your fault that the driver they cover hit you.

USAA was a B to deal with when my wife's parked car was hit,
whereas Nationwide was awesome when my parked truck got hit.
Other person's fault both times (since we weren't even in the vehicle)
Hers had a police report, mine did not. I think a lot of it comes down to the individual adjuster you get, and the insurance agent.
Her 4runner is newer and lower miles than my Tacoma, but it took over a month to sort out and they were forced to use used/repaired parts.
From accident to repaired I had my truck back in about 10 days, fixed with all OEM parts.

Last edited:

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns

In mvas with fatalities, HP investigation determines that a driver is at fault and ends up being charged. So if this happens, can the insurance company ignore the results of the HP investigation and determine fault as they see fit?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
In mvas with fatalities, HP investigation determines that a driver is at fault and ends up being charged. So if this happens, can the insurance company ignore the results of the HP investigation and determine fault as they see fit?
They will determine appropriate charges but they do not find fault in North Carolina. Findings of fault are left to the insurance companies. There is no where on any DMV-349 that shows who is a fault - just contributing circumstances

Last edited:

rescue934

Twelve Pointer
Talked with them again today. The other driver accepted total responsibility for the wreck. I had to almost argue to get a truck. I am supposed to pick it up on Monday.
They set it up with enterprise. They called said they may have a vehicle on Tues but could not guarantee it would be a truck. I found a truck in their commercial division(also in Asheville). You can not use a rental to pull anything. I only have an ATV trailer to pull to camp.so I had to get the insurance company to ok a 250 to drive

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They will determine appropriate charges but they do not find fault in North Carolina. Findings of fault are left to the insurance companies. There is no where on any DMV-349 that shows who is a fault - just contributing circumstances
Yep. Have had to deal with that twice. First when my dad was killed in an accident 22 years ago, the other insurance company denied fault and faught it. We won. Going thru it now with my mom, she was killed in an accident August 29th. They have admitted fault, but now we are working on under insured thru her insurance company. A rule a lot of people don't know about, but one our lawyer is an expert on.