Attracting deer to the back yard

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
My home is right in the middle of 15 acres of mature hardwoods mainly Beech and Oak, there are some pines. The woods is mainly open but there are some thicker areas where trees fell during storms in the past. I did hinge cut some of the smaller Beech trees. There is agriculture around me so there are a few deer that pass through from time to time. I was thinking of tilling up some of the more open areas and maybe plant something to attract more deer and maybe some type of fruit trees around the edges of my yard. In the fall I do have right many acorns in here. Anyone have any ideas of what else I might could do to keep more deer. Thanks

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
Corn definitely works, I put it last year and it drew them in for sure. I was want to plant something though some type of fruit tree or small food plot. I will definitely be putting some more corn out when it get closer to bow season.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
With mast and agriculture in the area it does not sound like food is necessarily the issue. Pick a few dominate oaks around the property and release them by felling surrounding trees. This will increase acorn production, get some sunlight to the ground to promote growth and put some brush on the ground for some quick cover. Fruit trees, clover in the yard and a corn feeder will not hurt, but if you can see from one side of the 15 acres to the other not much will be hanging around the area.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Corn definitely works, I put it last year and it drew them in for sure. I was want to plant something though some type of fruit tree or small food plot. I will definitely be putting some more corn out when it get closer to bow season.

Soft mast could provide something unique to the area you've described. They do like variety.