Atlantic beach/Morehead City

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Heading down early Friday for a business/pleasure trip with the wife. Weather looks ok enough I believe I'm gonna pull the boat with us for our first time ever to the beach. Probably be more of a learning experience than anything being I'm not all that familiar with that area on a boat, I spent majority of my water time around sneads ferry/ topsail when we had our other boat.

Anything I should be aware of boating wise? Any interesting places to check out on boat? Probably take a couple rods just to bounce some live bait on the bottom in a few areas inshore, looks a little too sporty for my skiff until I get a little more experience with that type of boat. Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I would put over at the public ramp on the north side of Radio Island (on the left just over the 1st bridge on 70 going towards Beaufort) as you have a straight shot towards the backwaters or to the inlet and all inshore areas around AB and MC. Just be aware of shallow water when going around the islands around Shackleford Banks, Lookout or anywhere out of the channel.

A fun trip is to go down Taylor Creek (by the Beaufort waterfront) and follow the posts & buoys out towards Harkers Island then turn south towards Lookout...again being aware of shallow waters outside of the main channels.

23mako

Ten Pointer
As Apexhunter said put in at Radio Island and tie up some 2 hooks bottom rigs with shrimp, fishbites, or whatever bait you can get your hands on and fish around the turning basin and the inlet.

May be able to get into some mullet, gray trout, and blow toads on the bottom.

If you venture out the inlet be on the lookout for blues or false albacore.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
We actually have a boat slip reserved at the hotel we re staying at in Atlantic beach which is convenient. The wife wants to take the boat over to the public docks at morehead and walk around one evening. Probably cruise by shackleford banks, and i ve heard the mullet are around just inside the inlet. Id love to get just of the the beach to look for albacore but 2 to 4 seas are a little to much with the wife with me in a DLV. I was mainly concerned with the creeks and areas that get really low at low tide. But like i said itll be more of a learning trip to get familiar with the area.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
x2 on the shallow water warning above. God put a lot of water in Carteret county but he spread it really thin.

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
A very prophetic statement right there...haven't heard it put any better!

The same Capt that shared that also said there were only two types of boat owners in Carteret county. those who admit to "runner aground" and liars! :)

<>< Fish

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
The same Capt that shared that also said there were only two types of boat owners in Carteret county. those who admit to "runner aground" and liars! :)

<>< Fish

That's the truth! It took me a few years of stupid before I learned to just stay in the channels on my boat around AB.

To add to the OP, please keep an eye out for the NO WAKE signs around the turning basin. Nothing burns me more than when someone comes running through there on plane bobbing and weaving through the boats! Yes it takes a while to get through there but it's a major intersection and running through at speed can be dangerous to you and others.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer

<>< Fish
Or a very similar adage about boat owners around that area: Those that have run aground and those that WILL run aground.
Both are 100% true either way.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer

<>< Fish

That's the truth! It took me a few years of stupid before I learned to just stay in the channels on my boat around AB.

To add to the OP, please keep an eye out for the NO WAKE signs around the turning basin. Nothing burns me more than when someone comes running through there on plane bobbing and weaving through the boats! Yes it takes a while to get through there but it's a major intersection and running through at speed can be dangerous to you and others.
Yeah I'm well aware of that no wake zone. We went last year on a holiday weekend in my cousins sea hunt and the idiots we 're abundant that would come flying up and then realize, oh crap no wonder everyone is going so slow.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Appreciate the advice so far. We will probably do a lot of riding and learning this weekend. We plan to start spending more time in that general area, we like it so much. My wife really likes going to shackleford.