ATF released new info and input time for Brace!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The ATF has a new proposed check list for guns using braces.

Weight, sights, LOP, type and design of brace. Grip for second hand or hand stop....

Looks like a joke.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

Because short-barreled rifles are among the firearms considered unusual and dangerous, subjecting them to regulation under the NFA, it is especially important that such weapons be properly classified. Indeed, firearms with “stabilizing braces” have been used in at least two mass shootings, with the shooters in both instances reportedly shouldering the “brace” as a stock, demonstrating the efficacy as “short-barreled” rifles of firearms equipped with such “braces.”

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
ATF worksheet 4999
Factoring criteria for rifled barrel weapons with accessories.

Attachments

• atf_worksheet_4999.pdf
    290.7 KB · Views: 21

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Must weigh 64 oz min
Can not weigh more than 120 oz max
LOP more than 10.5" dings you
Must be more than 12 and less than 26 overall

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Under this criteria everything is an SBR, which was the goal.
Not really.
If they made them an SBR they would need to register them.

I think they want to make them illegal, making law abiding people owning them a felon.
There goal is to control, register gun, and remove them from our hands is the main goal.

This is a step in that direction.

Not just say they are an SBR for say.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
A. Current Unlicensed Possessors

In order to comply with the provisions of the NFA, current unlicensed possessors
of a firearm equipped with a “stabilizing brace” and a barrel length of less than 16 inches
that would qualify as a “short-barreled rifle” as indicated on the ATF Worksheet 4999
contained in this proposed rule would need to take one of the following actions before the
effective date of a final rule.

1) Permanently remove or alter the “stabilizing brace” such that it cannot be
reattached, thus converting the firearm back to its original pistol configuration (as
long as it was originally configured without a stock and as a pistol) and thereby
removing it from regulation as a “firearm” under the NFA. Exercising this option
would mean the pistol would no longer be “equipped with” the stabilizing brace
within the meaning of the proposed rule.

2) Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer barrel to the firearm thus
removing it from the provisions of the NFA.

3) Destroy the firearm. ATF will publish information regarding proper destruction
on its website, www.atf.gov.

4) Turn the firearm into your local ATF office.

5) Complete and submit an Application to Make and Register a Firearm, ATF Form
1 (“Form 1”). As part of the submission, the $200 tax payment is required with
the application. Pursuant to 27 CFR 479.102, the name, city, and state of the
maker of the firearm must be properly marked on the firearm. All other markings,
placed by the original manufacturer, should be adopted. Proof of submission of
the Form 1 should be maintained by all possessors. Documentation establishing

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
In the main 71 page document, they had photos of the SBA3/4 and the KAK with their new interpretation under it , summary ….they are SBRs. I made the comment earlier as most of the market is SB tactical braces of some sort. It doesn’t take much to get to their 4 points. Further it stated if if was based on any current or prior stock, nearly all of them have the appearance of a prior or current stock. What they are failing to acknowledge here is that it was ATF whom gave the initial ok for them and continued to allow them to be manufactured and sold. It is not like any of this was a secret for the last 8-9 years. Now 4-7 million units later they want a do over. Any proposed regulation needs to come from Congress.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
I sent emails to my Senator and Representative. I don't know that it will do any good, but it can't hurt.
This is what I sent:

Hi, I hope you are doing well. I'm writing to you concerning the ATF changing their stance on pistol braces. For the past several years they've given approval on several pistol braces to be used on AR and other style pistols with barrels shorter than 16". Now, after millions have been produced and distributed to the general public, the ATF has reversed their decision and created a "worksheet" with arbitrary points being awarded for certain features of pistols with braces. If the total number of points is above 4, then the pistol is now considered a "short barreled rifle" and subject to NFA regulations. It seems that the ATF is trying to legislate instead of enforce laws, and they have approved and baited millions of law abiding gunowners into buying products, and then declaring them illegal. Thereby making millions of people into felons overnight.
This seems like a gross injustice to law abiding citizens that have done no harm. I am seeking your opinion on the matter, and hoping you can help combat the ATF's decision on this matter.
Thank you for your time.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Wonder how a form 1 would be different for a pistol with brace vs a home built.
If they add a form or use form1.
It will be very hard to put the information needed if you planned to form 1 a plastic gun.
Talking mainly of the Smith 1522 with brace. No way to add permanent markings on plastic.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
Just as an update, this is the response I got from Rep Greg Murphy's office.

"Thank you for contacting my office regarding steps the Biden Administration, Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) have taken that would turn millions of lawful gun owners into criminals overnight. As a proud supporter of our right to bear arms in America, I appreciate you taking the time to inform me of your thoughts on this issue.

As you may know, the DOJ and ATF have proposed new arbitrary regulations concerning the classification of pistol braces in relation to short-barreled rifles (SBRs). Under this proposal, virtually all AR-pistols would be considered illegal SBRs, requiring Americans to destroy their firearms, register their firearms with the federal government, which requires the purchase of a tax stamp, or face criminal prosecution and severe penalties.

The ATF has no constitutional authority to pursue this type of capricious regulatory action. I am proud to cosponsor legislation in Congress that ends these unconstitutional acts and preempts state and local laws imposing taxes and licensing requirements on SBRs. Americans do not wish to have a rogue agency infringe upon their liberties. Please know I will continue to uphold our Constitution and support our Second Amendment rights."

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I sent emails to my Senator and Representative. I don't know that it will do any good, but it can't hurt.
This is what I sent:

Hi, I hope you are doing well. I'm writing to you concerning the ATF changing their stance on pistol braces. For the past several years they've given approval on several pistol braces to be used on AR and other style pistols with barrels shorter than 16". Now, after millions have been produced and distributed to the general public, the ATF has reversed their decision and created a "worksheet" with arbitrary points being awarded for certain features of pistols with braces. If the total number of points is above 4, then the pistol is now considered a "short barreled rifle" and subject to NFA regulations. It seems that the ATF is trying to legislate instead of enforce laws, and they have approved and baited millions of law abiding gunowners into buying products, and then declaring them illegal. Thereby making millions of people into felons overnight.
This seems like a gross injustice to law abiding citizens that have done no harm. I am seeking your opinion on the matter, and hoping you can help combat the ATF's decision on this matter.
Thank you for your time.
This was really well written, I think I'll use most of it on my Congress critters if you don't mind.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Say something is ok until there are7 million braces in circulation. Then say it's too dangerous unless you pay us $200 a pop to SBR. That's quite the shakedown.

And if you don't pay up or destroy it, they will burn your wife and children alive, as is ATF tradition.
Yeah but if I and pretty much anyone has to get a $200 stamp that brace is going into the trash and a real stock is going on it

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah but if I and pretty much anyone has to get a $200 stamp that brace is going into the trash and a real stock is going on it
Funny just remove the brace and add a cheek rest. Working on one now. Adds mass and support to pistol tube ..

The funny thing all their BS to ban them. Everyone can still remove the brace and party on with no problems.

Last edited:

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
guess I am just wierd,,, I let rifles be rifles and handguns be handguns,,,,

That's what we'd all like to do, but since the govt sets an arbitrary min length for rifle barrels, it complicates matters.
They need to just repeal/revise the NFA act, but i doubt that will happen anytime soon...

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
That's what we'd all like to do, but since the govt sets an arbitrary min length for rifle barrels, it complicates matters.
They need to just repeal/revise the NFA act, but i doubt that will happen anytime soon...
It won’t happen, Trump couldn’t even get silencers removed from NFA with both houses of Congress and the White House. You will never see more firearms freedoms . Remember the original NFA was an attempt to ban “concealed pistols” for the common folk. The short rifles were added into the bill during the legislative process however support to ban concealable handguns were less favorable so it was abandoned and the limits on rifles/shotguns remained.