Asheville Nov 5-9th trip

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've got a class I need to attend on Nov 8th. So I'm thinking of heading out there the 5th for the weekend and heading home on the 9th. Bringing my 2 girls and a friend with her daughter.
looking for a good place to stay. I do have a camper I can drag over or we could do a cabin or something similar.
Any recommendations?

KrisB

Ten Pointer
it actually looks like I just came out of the woods...🤣
I swear, a cashier at an upscale grocery store here had an attitude towards me one time when she was tallying up my bill and getting my groceries in the bags 'cause I was wearing my hunting clothes and looked like I'd just rolled off the game lands. I was only there to pick up some stuff for my mother. She didn't say anything, but it felt like there was just something in her demeanor. She was really friendly to the person after me in line.

That's the only time I've ever experienced that, apart from being called a "beaver murderer" while on a ride-along with a trapper mentor. My mentor called the game warden afterward to let her know she might be getting a call from the lady that was yelling all that at us. We laughed about it afterward:

"Now this is how you set a 330 in a channel--"

"Beaver murderers!"

LOL :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I've got a class I need to attend on Nov 8th. So I'm thinking of heading out there the 5th for the weekend and heading home on the 9th. Bringing my 2 girls and a friend with her daughter.
looking for a good place to stay. I do have a camper I can drag over or we could do a cabin or something similar.
Any recommendations?
Where’s the class? You’ll want to stay out of downtown.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
We rented a small house last time in Swananoa from carolina mornings. It was the best option we could find. 10-15 minutes from downtown. I recommend checking out the pinball museum. Worth the 15 bucks per person for unlimited play

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
we have done the pinball museum and the kids want to hit it while there.
want to hit the woods a little and see the mountains. Have yet to do biltmore.

I believe the class is near Carabas. Been a while since I did one there.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I swear, a cashier at an upscale grocery store here had an attitude towards me one time when she was tallying up my bill and getting my groceries in the bags 'cause I was wearing my hunting clothes and looked like I'd just rolled off the game lands. I was only there to pick up some stuff for my mother. She didn't say anything, but it felt like there was just something in her demeanor. She was really friendly to the person after me in line.

That's the only time I've ever experienced that, apart from being called a "beaver murderer" while on a ride-along with a trapper mentor. My mentor called the game warden afterward to let her know she might be getting a call from the lady that was yelling all that at us. We laughed about it afterward:

"Now this is how you set a 330 in a channel--"

"Beaver murderers!"

LOL :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like..umm...fun?? lol

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Dick there are some good rental cabins out here in Yancey county. You’d be 45-60 min away from AVL. You’d be able to take a ride up to Mount Mitchell(highest point east of the Mississippi!) if you wanted. A day in Asheville is worth it to people watch. There are a lot of street walkers but it’s no Atlanta, Philly, Baltimore, SF, Chicago etc. Dumb stuff happens there but anyone with street smarts and a concealed carry will be more than ok.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
There are a lot of good breweries to visit in/around Asheville if you like beer, and a few other ok places, but nothing I'd go out of the way for.
I like New Belgium and Sierra Nevada as they were cool to walk around with the wife and kids (plus beer and food)
My youngest brother is an Ag teacher in Madison county so when I go visit him we'll hit up a few breweries and restaurants and stuff, but overall it's definitely not my scene.

Jarhead

Button Buck
Dick there are some good rental cabins out here in Yancey county. You’d be 45-60 min away from AVL. You’d be able to take a ride up to Mount Mitchell(highest point east of the Mississippi!) if you wanted. A day in Asheville is worth it to people watch. There are a lot of street walkers but it’s no Atlanta, Philly, Baltimore, SF, Chicago etc. Dumb stuff happens there but anyone with street smarts and a concealed carry will be more than ok.
^^^ this for sure.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
so,,,,

does anyone have a recommendation of where to stay?

just a heads up. I've been to Asheville a few times and I am aware of the large amount of losers in the area and how it's not what it used to be.

i have to go so i just want to make the best of it and enjoy the mountains and some of the good food.

just looking for a place to stay that's not too far out of the way. I can bring my camper if there is a good campground with full hookup. Or I could do a cabin or house rental. hotel would work but that generally puts you in areas that i generally like to avoid.

thanks again.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
so,,,,

just a heads up. I've been to Asheville a few times and I am aware of the large amount of losers in the area and how it's not what it used to be.

i have to go so i just want to make the best of it and enjoy the mountains and some of the good food.

just looking for a place to stay that's not too far out of the way. I can bring my camper if there is a good campground with full hookup. Or I could do a cabin or house rental. hotel would work but that generally puts you in areas that i generally like to avoid.

thanks again.
Will be nice time be in mtns you can still have great time in area its not that hard to avoid the rift raf. Thousands of acres publuc right around if your a squirrel hunter can take some really nice walks in cool mtn weather. As far as place stay I camp in ntnl forest so I'm no good to you there but I'd bet vrbo has lot cabin options in area with reviews

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
so,,,,

thanks again.
I'd look to Airbnb or the like - finding a place in this area during leaf season is next to impossible

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Yep, Airbnb is your best bet for a cabin.
For a hotel, I’ve stayed here before and it’s not bad. Close to town, but not in town.
-Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts Asheville, an IHG Hotel.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Plenty of hotels on the outskirts of Asheville and you would not be far from the Blue Ridge Parkway or Pisgah Forest if you can't find a cabin or house

A trip on the Parkway or up to Cataloochee might be nice

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Yep, Airbnb is your best bet for a cabin.
For a hotel, I’ve stayed here before and it’s not bad. Close to town, but not in town.
-Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts Asheville, an IHG Hotel.
I‘ve stayed at the Crowne Plaza a couple times for work. Don’t they have some cabins on that property as well?? Also stayed at the Doubletree a few times (easy access to I-40).