Arrow Development

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Do you fletch your c0ck vane parallel or perpendicular to the flat line isolation of the shaft?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
parallel or perpendicular to the flat line isolation of the shaft

now we are getting serious!

tunanut,,,,heard you had a video on your tools for measuring FLO (or is it FLI?) - can you point me there?

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I got really "obsessed" with POC shafts several years ago. Wanna talk about spending a lot of time and money buying shafts and spine testers, taper tools, etc, and testing each shaft and getting a dozen that match! Then fletching with the grain, etc. Now I shoot aluminum and don't worry about it,. LoL.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Do you fletch your c0ck vane parallel or perpendicular to the flat line isolation of the shaft?

All that flew right over my head lol. I do build my own arrows but all I do is buy raw shafts, cut them to length, install inserts, fletch and start shooting. I pick out the best shooting arrows to hunt with and practice with the others. I do however always test my arrows that i'm going to hunt with to insure they are straight, spin true and hit where i'm aiming. That's about as deep as I go. :)

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For me it's bare shaft testing. I get purely anal about making the bare shaft fly true out to my max range because that starts me out closest to the middle of the of accuracy spectrum. The closer I can get to the middle, the more forgiveness is inherently built in. So even if I flub my release a little I can still expect a better result than just counting on the fletching to cover up my sins...

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
The deepest I go now is to spin em. Check.
Stand at 20yds with the bare shaft. If it shoots at 20yds within an inch of fletched shaft it gets fletched. Preferably low and right a hair. This would show a high left tear through paper with fletched. If it shoots with the rest of the fletched at 60yds, maybe I have to rotate a nock or two. Then they get a number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
K.I.S.S.
I used to be all into that stuff. If it flys with the rest, shoot them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I don't go as crazy as i used to with my arrows. I'll spin test em, check the spine and put the cock vane on the stiff side of the arrow on carbons. Usually weigh em after they are finished.