Arrow building app

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
How interested would you guys be in an archery calculation app, that displayed your KE at a varying distances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Im not sure if the Pinwheel software that I have does that, I never really used it that way.

About 3 years ago I put together a couple of spreadsheets with trajectory table and kinetic energy value up to 60 yards in 5 yard increments that used exit speed and arrow weight. It was more of a fun exercise than anything because nothing seemed that critical for what I was doing. It seemed more about the trajectory and arrow drop than about the KE.

I applaud you for being smart enough to figure that out. I had to dust off my physics skills when I worked on my charts.

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
I’ve never seen an app that provides down range KE. Everything is based on at the point of release values. The significance I saw in the tables I built were that you could evaluate your arrow build based on its down range performance. I simulated my current set up for 27.5” at 75#, 520grain 26.5” arrow with 25 grains on the string. Off the bow it shows me producing 83 ft/lbs of KE, and it stays over 70 ft/lbs over 70yards.
I think the advantage to the data it produces illustrates the effects of speed and mass on KE, and how fast KE dissipates on lighter set ups. For guys considering mech heads it’s something to think about when you crunch the numbers in the tables.

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
Im not sure if the Pinwheel software that I have does that, I never really used it that way.

About 3 years ago I put together a couple of spreadsheets with trajectory table and kinetic energy value up to 60 yards in 5 yard increments that used exit speed and arrow weight. It was more of a fun exercise than anything because nothing seemed that critical for what I was doing. It seemed more about the trajectory and arrow drop than about the KE.

I applaud you for being smart enough to figure that out. I had to dust off my physics skills when I worked on my charts.

I’d love to see your work if you don’t mind sharing.
careyhamil@gmail.com.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I would be interested in seeing it. I don’t use mechanicals and have focused on FOC. Read Dr Ashby’s stuff two years ago and made the switch. But I am always up to learn as a bowhunter.

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
It’s still in work, I’m not to savvy on the tech side. The physics is above my level, so figuring out the math side of that is a bit complicate when I’m research how to make a realistic formula for arrow penetration.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
All I know is my arrows have PLENTY of KE and momentum to pass through a deer's boiler room at the max distance I'm willing to shoot one. And that is significantly less than the distance I can keep a tight, on-target group. The time of flight is my major concern here ... whether it be the deer jumping the string or the deer just moving because deer will move for whatever reason / sound they hear.

But I DO love the exercise in physics and calculations ... even if they don't matter in my case.