Are you scared for me?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I have zero experience doing this. I have read 2 books worth of articals. And 3hours on you tube. I hope the action comes out of the stock.
8fd89b95278e0acdfa0a6f923ad22173.jpg
11077b827fd080de25b8ae75978b957e.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Taped up and put a thick tape ring on the barrel to make sure even floating clearance in the forend. I drilled small holes where I put the jb compound to insure some additional adhesion.
c6e634ebeb0d43ca043cd5cc34830669.jpg
81002c5970c29bdf37c64a75a04e2899.jpg

Last edited:

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I'm surprised it didn't stick bad at all. I used bow string wax as the releases agent.
d20e55195708e1cdfecf1fdcfcaf5501.jpg
cb94fedd81307274063dac06d1bc5fef.jpg
6d1248e21410a5a11e17e36bba3f8a0b.jpg

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you use good release agent you will be fine. If you miss a place or mess up and use something that isn't compatible with your bedding compound you will have a first class mess on your hands.

The only thing I can caution you on is depending on what you bed with (I always use AccuraGlass) if it says 4 hours, 6 hours or 24) make sure and leave it what it says. I was in a hurry for one I was doing and rushed one and knocked it apart and it appeared solid. But turns out to it had fully cured after I had knocked it apart it had swelled and the action wouldn't fit back in it. I had to grind it out and redo it. So I didn't save a bit of time.

I personally like some of the spray release agents.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
I have always used surgical tubing to hold action in place instead of tape. Just throwing that out there.

evansperf

Eight Pointer
Nothing wrong with jb weld for bedding. I've bedded tons of benchrest stocks with it as well as marine tex and both do an awesome job! Shoe polish is the best release agent known to man. I've only accidently glued in one rifle out of 60-70 and it was with brownells spray release agent.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used jb weld. Seemed to work. I am excited to group shoot it.

That'll work. Sometimes it can be a bit tougher to work with if you're in a hurry, but for a personal project it will work fine as long as you roughed up the area that it will be sticking to (wood or plastic). You definitely don't have to worry about it once it's cured, that's some tough stuff.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have not been able to shoot it since I bedded it.

How did you keep the JB Weld out of the front action screw? Looks by the pics that you filled the screw hole full of JB Weld?

Curious as i am going to be bedding one of my own soon...

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
How did you keep the JB Weld out of the front action screw? Looks by the pics that you filled the screw hole full of JB Weld?

Curious as i am going to be bedding one of my own soon...
I didn't completely. I put a little ball of playdough in the action screw hole before I spread the jb weld. I put bow string wax on the action screw bolt as release agent and just ran it all the way through to the action when I tightend it all up to let cure. Some jb weld did get down the action screw hole and around the threads. Its still there but with the release agent on the action threading and the action bolt the weld didn't stick and the action bolt has its own bedded threading to go up through the action.

Last edited: