Are the Turkeys made out of gold on this property?

outdoorNC

Spike
There are some mind blowing prices on turkey leases across the country. $2,800 for a turkey lease on a 258 acre farm.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
As the popularity grows so does the price. Lot people think in terms of deer price not realizing turkey season is short and less tags. Also take into account lot property people hunted deer but fished or had to much work in spring and didn't fool with turkeys now they do so supply and demand comes into play big time. That is ridiculously high price because turkey ain't deer on that small property you could really get screwed come spring they could use other land bad local hatch and list goes on. I just kinda smile when hear peopkevtalk about all the turkey on the small plots land they see during deer with corn going

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
The Internet and tv have turned hunting into another rich mans sport. About the same as MB, Daytona, and Sturgis with Harley guys

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Even bigger issue than price is guy thinks 4 people can hunt that small piece land I need bigger piece than that my self. 4 guys is 8 birds if everyone tags out you would be going in knowing some would not get shot at tom

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Even bigger issue than price is guy thinks 4 people can hunt that small piece land I need bigger piece than that my self. 4 guys is 8 birds if everyone tags out you would be going in knowing some would not get shot at tom
Exactly right......leaves nothing for seed at that rate of kills on that little piece.......the next year would likely be dismal for whoever leased it.........and likely wouldn’t have a clue it was wiped out the year before.......and who knows when it was REALLY last hunted prior to this years Clist ad

edward.penny

Button Buck
You can thank all the hunting shows for the prices. It's good we have a lot of people wanting to hunt but has driven the prices to crazy highs. I hunt alot of public land for turkey and get on them every year. I'm not the best turkey Hunter by any means but know what to look for. I'm part of the public land hunt club also!

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Too much for me

But I tell ya what I’ve been working a lot in KY the past 6 months and it’s crazy how many turkeys you can see in the fields. Was on I 65 from elizabethtown down the TN state line the other day and lost count of how many birds I saw,

South central And NE KY seem to have a bunch as well, I hope to take a trip down in the spring to mix some work with hunting, I have access to a small private farm and the DBNF is a few miles from it as well.

outdoorNC

Spike
Too much for me

But I tell ya what I’ve been working a lot in KY the past 6 months and it’s crazy how many turkeys you can see in the fields. Was on I 65 from elizabethtown down the TN state line the other day and lost count of how many birds I saw,

South central And NE KY seem to have a bunch as well, I hope to take a trip down in the spring to mix some work with hunting, I have access to a small private farm and the DBNF is a few miles from it as well.
Kentucky is a great place to hunt turkeys. The DBNF is good along with 170,000 acres of Land Between the Lakes and 50,000 acres of Peabody WMA.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Turkey hunting is as cheap as it will be right now. The cost of hunting goes up every year. A downturn in the economy could possibly shrink demand, and prices, but prices won't dip much.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
As long as you live in N.C. you should never have to pay to hunt you may have to work a little harder to get to prime spots and hunt the middle of the week but we are blessed with turkeys and game land.
maybe up your way but down here (central) it's draw or limited and crowded.. and middle of the week is not possible for many. plus Sunday is out for public.
Private is the only hope for most.

Reactions: jug

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
maybe up your way but down here (central) it's draw or limited and crowded.. and middle of the week is not possible for many. plus Sunday is out for public.
Private is the only hope for most.
Nothing beats a week of mtn camping and tons land to hunt. I would highly recommend getting out of high populated central nc for clean mtn air for week if at all possible and bring the trout pole frying pan flour and grease for creekside meal fit for king

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing beats a week of mtn camping and tons land to hunt. I would highly recommend getting out of high populated central nc for clean mtn air for week if at all possible and bring the trout pole frying pan flour and grease for creekside meal fit for king
I haven't had a week that I could devote to turkey hunting yet. But that sounds like a fine way to spend one.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
f28a9f3e1668b038631b9e92a0804782.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD1107

Spoke with a guy a few weeks ago that wanted to lease his “50 acre field” no woods what so ever for $600.

outdoorNC

Spike
The guy has now dropped the price to $2,200, what a steal!!

JD1107

He'd have pay me to hunt a 50 acre field I hate field birds? in all seriousness if someone sees a hen out in that field he'll probably get paid
Ive seen plenty of birds in the field over the past two years which is why I asked, but theres no way in heck that I’m paying $600 to hunt just a field.