Archery Hunt for Black Bear

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have hunted black bear with a rifle before, but never a bow. I will be attempting that this year. I drew a bear tag in CO and additionally my dad and I are finally cashing in on our deposit we made a couple years ago and hunting black bear in Canada.

What can you tell me about hunting them with a bow? I have seen several archery (black bear) hunting DVD's and I am competent with a bow BUT, I would love to hear any first hand experience from anyone who has shot one (with a bow).

**Edit
**Canada will be hunting over bait
**Colorado will be spot and stalk

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
about the same as hunting with a rifle,,,,only closer!! stick him well and he'll go down quick,,,,mess it up and he won't,,,,,,,it's a fun spot and stalk,,,,,I love it,,,,,,never hunted over bait but from what I know be patient,,,,,,,,

rem1148

Haven`t had the opportunity to take one with a bow but have been on hunts where others did. Shot placement as with any other game is critical. One 658lb boar took an arrow thru both lungs and rage broadhead clipped the top of his heart. He traveled 29 feet and expired. The shot was 9 yards.

Last edited:

Biggin

Four Pointer
Killed a 450 lbs in New burwicks Canada. With my Bow at 15 yards over bait. Like deer hunting from a deer stand. Shoot them through the lugs. One thing don't forget your themo sell . I was only10 foot off the ground n a ladder stand.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I've never bow hunted bear, so take this for what it's worth. They're heavier skinned than deer, so while you're tuning your bow I'd opt for power over velocity. Maybe heavier arrows and a heavier broad head than you would use for deer.

As has been said earlier as well, shot placement. You're probably not gonna bust through a bear's shoulder with a bow, and an injured bear is dangerous to track. Good luck, it sounds like fun.

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Hearing that death moan would give me the heebee jeebees ....

Having only rifle hunted bears thus far, I am determined to take one with the bow. HOWEVER, I have heard the death moan (from a bear down 15 yards from the tree) and it is certainly my least favorite part of the experience. It is one of those sounds that you (unsuccessfully) try and forget.

blackheel

Twelve Pointer
I took one here in NC with my bow last year. Also witnessed some bears lost by bow shot by others. My biggest suggestion is to deliver the most KE you can to the bear, ie heavier arrows with the most poundage you can pull and handle. I had right at 80 ft/lbs of KE out of mine and the arrow went right through him at 17 yds. Good luck!

SM270

Ten Pointer
This is my bucket list of animals. Is a black bear with a bow along with and Elk a d I would then feel like I have killed the animals that I have always wanted to kill in my lifetime.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
I'm going to try bow hunting a bear this fall in NC in the mountains. Got a friend with some private ground that is loaded up with bear.