Archery equipment changes out for comment

BRed

Button Buck
My son has a youth compound that is set at 25lbs. I have been working with him and teaching him how to shoot. I guarantee that if I could put a broad head on one of his arrows that it would take down most any deer that we see in Durham county. Especially at the 15 to 25 yards that most of us shoot at. I have personally never even tried to shoot one over 35 yards away. I know what the rules say about bows but I have never heard of anyone being ticketed for shooting a bow with to low of a weight. Personally I think everyone who shoots a bow good enough to take a deer will be ok with whatever they are able to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
No minimum poundage for small game anymore if this passes

Just deer , pig, bear, turkey, elk, alligator

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My son has a youth compound that is set at 25lbs. I have been working with him and teaching him how to shoot. I guarantee that if I could put a broad head on one of his arrows that it would take down most any deer that we see in Durham county. Especially at the 15 to 25 yards that most of us shoot at. I have personally never even tried to shoot one over 35 yards away. I know what the rules say about bows but I have never heard of anyone being ticketed for shooting a bow with to low of a weight. Personally I think everyone who shoots a bow good enough to take a deer will be ok with whatever they are able to shoot.

The reason you haven't heard of anyone being cited for an under poundage bow is field officers have never had equipment to check it. And I checked with one last year, and they still don't.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
That’s to prevent the state from allowing disabled hunters to use airbows in archery only season

TN legalized airbows for some disabled hunters recently in their archery deer season

DADOGG14

Eight Pointer
That’s to prevent the state from allowing disabled hunters to use airbows in archery only

And you know this how? Google tell you this or did you sit in one of the meetings? I highly doubt the rule is specifically written to keep disabled folks from hunting. Wow.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Does anyone know what the rational for dropping the prohibition on barbed arrows is?

Lance

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
nice try

it prevents all hunters,,,not just disabled,,,and it's a good call by the WRC

airbows are fine,,,,in firearm season,,,they are a gun that shoots a bolt,,,not a peice of archery gear

TN just legalized airbows in archery deer season for some disabled hunters.

In 1993 NC legalized crossbows for disabled hunters during archery season.

In 2010 NC legalized crossbows for everyone in archery season.

Some folks see legalizing airbows for disabled hunters as the fore runner for eventually legalizing airbows for everyone in archery season.

So this is a move by the North Carolina Bow Hunters Associaiton to make sure that doesn't happen anytime soon.

I have no problem with disabled hunters being able to use airbows in archery only seasons. Tennessee got that right.

“Commissioners were voting to give qualified permanent disabled hunters another means of enjoying the outdoors,” noted Lt. Col. Cape Taylor of the TWRA Law Enforcement Division. “They are the only ones who can use this device during archery-only big game hunts.”
The Airbow, however, can be used by any hunter during modern gun seasons in Tennessee, explained Taylor.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/news/2018/5/25/new-airbows--airgun-hunts-2018.html

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

doesn't have anything to do with teh NC Bowhunters,,,,,webster's is my man,,,

ar·cher·y
/ˈärCH(ə)rē/
noun
the sport or skill of shooting with a bow and arrows, especially at a target.

bow1
/bō/
noun

a weapon for shooting arrows, typically made of a curved piece of wood whose ends are joined by a taut string.
synonyms:longbow, crossbow;recurve

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
nice try

it prevents all hunters,,,not just disabled,,,and it's a good call by the WRC

airbows are fine,,,,in firearm season,,,they are a gun that shoots a bolt,,,not a peice of archery gear
Well he was on a roll in an attempt to stir the pot, he tried on several different threads.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
So?

This proposal actually defines the term ‘bow’ if passed but there is nothing in state law prohibiting the WRC from legally classifying an airbow as a bow at any time in the future or now.

Maybe folks who are afraid of airbows being classified as bows or allowed in archery only seasons get the state legislature to legally declare them not archery equipment.

The WRC not Webster’s determines what’s legal.

Last edited:

popekilldragon

Button Buck
Does anyone know what the rational for dropping the prohibition on barbed arrows is?

Lance

The general consensus on barbed arrows seems to be that if you hit a non-lethal shot with one, there's no chance of it coming back out of the animal if/when it escapes, so it's not ethical to use them.

If I had to venture a guess as to why the restriction is being removed, it'd probably be that someone finally realized that the poundage requirements we already have make it pretty unlikely any arrowhead isn't going through and through.

Last edited:

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
The general consensus on barbed arrows seems to be that if you hit a non-lethal shot with one, there's no chance of it coming back out of the animal if/when it escapes, so it's not ethical to use them.

If I had to venture a guess as to why the restriction is being removed, it'd probably be that someone finally realized that the poundage requirements we already have make it pretty unlikely any arrowhead isn't going through and through.

I was present at the commissioner's meeting in Raleigh when it was discussed. All that was said was that it had been a regulation for a long time and was considered "archaic." I am quite certain they had no clue why it was there to begin with and that thru-and-thru shots were not considered. It got about a 5 second mention. Any other discussions that occurred outside the meeting were not mentioned, either.

letstalk

Four Pointer
I had a conversation with a Game Warden and he said it was because barbed isn't well defined or easily understood with some of the modern broadheads. For example, many of the new broadheads actually have a less than 90 degree angle on the rear or is it greater than 90 degrees, guess that depends on which way you are looking?

Perhaps a picture describes the issue better, Is the
Rage Two Blade Chisel pictured below a "barbed" broadhead or not? The angle of the blades when open is not 90 degrees, it creates a barb just like a fish hook has. There are a lot of broadheads on the market like this now, expandable and fixed. Since nobody could really determine why this type of broadhead would not be ethical and humanely kill an animal, and there is no good way to explain what a barb is or isn't, just let the seven-eighths width be the requirement for "big game".

1545320733016.png

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I do not agree.

Most children are going to be shooting a bow with a lower speed rating to begin with, and setting one up to shoot at 25 pounds and shooting anything other than something at about 15 yards or less is asking for trouble.

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
The Rage blades swivel, correct? Not barbed.

The Cliff Zwickey is a barbed head. The theory, in times past, was that the broadhead would not fall out of an injured deer, thereby raising the potential for infection and a slow death with a poor hit. The head would stay "hooked" in the deer, like a fish hook, was the thought. Many heads back in the 30 thru the 50s were barbed. As laws were enacted to regulate the use of barbed broadheads in various states, the designers changed their designs to neutral or "swept-wing" blades.

The folks in Raleigh now have no connection to the past, hence their non-recollection of why the law was enacted to begin with. It was pushed back then by hunters across the country as being more ethical on the game we pursued.

Arrows sticking out of live animals wandering around housing developments would now never make the news or social media. Right?

I think the barbed restriction should stay in place. The only head made today, to my knowledge, that is barbed is the Cliff Zwickey. I am sure there are others. I think some multi-blade short heads made nowadays are technically barbed. Not certain of that, however.
cliff_zwickey_2_edge_edited.png

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Commented against maintaining minimum poundage requirements because they are not enforced

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My bet is .....most of the deer we see photos of with arrows sticking out of them — weren’t shot with broadheads at all.

Last edited:

letstalk

Four Pointer
40 old heads I have collected. 1950s thru recent times. Only one is considered barbed. Right side, second row from top.
The Rage blades swivel, correct? Not barbed.

The Cliff Zwickey is a barbed head. The theory, in times past, was that the broadhead would not fall out of an injured deer, thereby raising the potential for infection and a slow death with a poor hit. The head would stay "hooked" in the deer, like a fish hook, was the thought. Many heads back in the 30 thru the 50s were barbed. As laws were enacted to regulate the use of barbed broadheads in various states, the designers changed their designs to neutral or "swept-wing" blades.

The folks in Raleigh now have no connection to the past, hence their non-recollection of why the law was enacted to begin with. It was pushed back then by hunters across the country as being more ethical on the game we pursued.

Arrows sticking out of live animals wandering around housing developments would now never make the news or social media. Right?

I think the barbed restriction should stay in place. The only head made today, to my knowledge, that is barbed is the Cliff Zwickey. I am sure there are others. I think some multi-blade short heads made nowadays are technically barbed. Not certain of that, however.
View attachment 23722
Serious question, as I have never actually used them or held one in my hand, I just pulled the rage picture off the internet because it was the first I saw with back of blades pointing backwards.. I use Muzzy 3-blades.

What difference does it make if it swivels? Isn't is still barbed given the definition of a barb: : a sharp projection extending backward (as from the point of an arrow or fishhook) and preventing easy extraction? Don't those blades extend backwards? Does the swiveling do something to the blades that would allow it to be easily extracted?

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Airbows will try to go the same backdoor route that crossbows did. Get them in under the "disabled" banner for starters....

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The state legislature legalized crossbows for disabled people not the WRC.

The general assembly could always pass a law that allows airbows in archery season for disabled people regardless of what the WRC does.

Last edited: