Archery equipment changes out for comment

BRed

Button Buck
My son has a youth compound that is set at 25lbs. I have been working with him and teaching him how to shoot. I guarantee that if I could put a broad head on one of his arrows that it would take down most any deer that we see in Durham county. Especially at the 15 to 25 yards that most of us shoot at. I have personally never even tried to shoot one over 35 yards away. I know what the rules say about bows but I have never heard of anyone being ticketed for shooting a bow with to low of a weight. Personally I think everyone who shoots a bow good enough to take a deer will be ok with whatever they are able to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Thread starter #4
No minimum poundage for small game anymore if this passes

Just deer , pig, bear, turkey, elk, alligator

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My son has a youth compound that is set at 25lbs. I have been working with him and teaching him how to shoot. I guarantee that if I could put a broad head on one of his arrows that it would take down most any deer that we see in Durham county. Especially at the 15 to 25 yards that most of us shoot at. I have personally never even tried to shoot one over 35 yards away. I know what the rules say about bows but I have never heard of anyone being ticketed for shooting a bow with to low of a weight. Personally I think everyone who shoots a bow good enough to take a deer will be ok with whatever they are able to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The reason you haven't heard of anyone being cited for an under poundage bow is field officers have never had equipment to check it. And I checked with one last year, and they still don't.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Thread starter #7
That’s to prevent the state from allowing disabled hunters to use airbows in archery only season

TN legalized airbows for some disabled hunters recently in their archery deer season

DADOGG14

Four Pointer
That’s to prevent the state from allowing disabled hunters to use airbows in archery only

And you know this how? Google tell you this or did you sit in one of the meetings? I highly doubt the rule is specifically written to keep disabled folks from hunting. Wow.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
hat’s to prevent the state from allowing disabled hunters to use airbows in archery only season
nice try

it prevents all hunters,,,not just disabled,,,and it's a good call by the WRC

airbows are fine,,,,in firearm season,,,they are a gun that shoots a bolt,,,not a peice of archery gear

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Thread starter #11
nice try

airbows are fine,,,,in firearm season,,,they are a gun that shoots a bolt,,,not a peice of archery gear
TN just legalized airbows in archery deer season for some disabled hunters.

In 1993 NC legalized crossbows for disabled hunters during archery season.

In 2010 NC legalized crossbows for everyone in archery season.

Some folks see legalizing airbows for disabled hunters as the fore runner for eventually legalizing airbows for everyone in archery season.

So this is a move by the North Carolina Bow Hunters Associaiton to make sure that doesn't happen anytime soon.

I have no problem with disabled hunters being able to use airbows in archery only seasons. Tennessee got that right.

“Commissioners were voting to give qualified permanent disabled hunters another means of enjoying the outdoors,” noted Lt. Col. Cape Taylor of the TWRA Law Enforcement Division. “They are the only ones who can use this device during archery-only big game hunts.”
The Airbow, however, can be used by any hunter during modern gun seasons in Tennessee, explained Taylor.
https://www.tn.gov/twra/news/2018/5/25/new-airbows--airgun-hunts-2018.html

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
doesn't have anything to do with teh NC Bowhunters,,,,,webster's is my man,,,

ar·cher·y
/ˈärCH(ə)rē/
noun
the sport or skill of shooting with a bow and arrows, especially at a target.

bow1
/bō/
noun

a weapon for shooting arrows, typically made of a curved piece of wood whose ends are joined by a taut string.
synonyms:longbow, crossbow;recurve

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
nice try

Well he was on a roll in an attempt to stir the pot, he tried on several different threads.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Thread starter #15
So?

This proposal actually defines the term ‘bow’ if passed but there is nothing in state law prohibiting the WRC from legally classifying an airbow as a bow at any time in the future or now.

Maybe folks who are afraid of airbows being classified as bows or allowed in archery only seasons get the state legislature to legally declare them not archery equipment.

The WRC not Webster’s determines what’s legal.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the rational for dropping the prohibition on barbed arrows is?

Lance
The general consensus on barbed arrows seems to be that if you hit a non-lethal shot with one, there's no chance of it coming back out of the animal if/when it escapes, so it's not ethical to use them.

If I had to venture a guess as to why the restriction is being removed, it'd probably be that someone finally realized that the poundage requirements we already have make it pretty unlikely any arrowhead isn't going through and through.

Last edited:

Bud B.

Four Pointer
The general consensus on barbed arrows seems to be that if you hit a non-lethal shot with one, there's no chance of it coming back out of the animal if/when it escapes, so it's not ethical to use them.

If I had to venture a guess as to why the restriction is being removed, it'd probably be that someone finally realized that the poundage requirements we already have make it pretty unlikely any arrowhead isn't going through and through.
I was present at the commissioner's meeting in Raleigh when it was discussed. All that was said was that it had been a regulation for a long time and was considered "archaic." I am quite certain they had no clue why it was there to begin with and that thru-and-thru shots were not considered. It got about a 5 second mention. Any other discussions that occurred outside the meeting were not mentioned, either.