Arborist

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have a maple tree in my front yard. It has several large limbs at about eye level. I'd like to remove some lower branches to give more space under the tree. This may also let more light in to the grass underneath. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and cut the lower branches or if I should hire an arborist for advice. I'm concerned I may be damaging the tree too much because all the limbs are near each other. Maybe an arborist would advise just to cut down the whole tree. I'd prefer to keep it. Cut or call an expert? Where to find an arborist near Apex?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Your not going to damage the tree. Make proper cuts. Research “how to cut a limb” it should be easy to see the branch collar on a maple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Your not going to damage the tree. Make proper cuts. Research “how to cut a limb” it should be easy to see the branch collar on a maple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My concern is the the branches are lined up like spokes on a wheel around the tree. It's not like they at different elevations as you go around the perimeter. Therefore, there would be a lot of cut branches in a ring. How that heals and how it looks is a concern.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
BTW, Justin, while you're here. What is the largest practical size of tree that be moved by a common person? I have a japanese maple that's about 10' tall in my back yard. I no longer want it but I'd post it up on craigslist as "free tree" if it was possible to dig up and move. I had to just cut it down and dispose of it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have a maple tree in my front yard. It has several large limbs at about eye level. I'd like to remove some lower branches to give more space under the tree. This may also let more light in to the grass underneath. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and cut the lower branches or if I should hire an arborist for advice. I'm concerned I may be damaging the tree too much because all the limbs are near each other. Maybe an arborist would advise just to cut down the whole tree. I'd prefer to keep it. Cut or call an expert? Where to find an arborist near Apex?
you are in the hotbed of those way past "tree cutters" a search should give you many choices.
but justin is gold on this stuff.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
That’s a pretty subjective question, subject to way too many factors to armchair quarterback. I don’t trust some people even holding a chainsaw with a spark plug removed.

Last edited:

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Don't you belong to Arbor Day Foundation, like all homeowners sposd to?...…….they have a site where you can learn a bunch and ask pro's.
We did "drop crotch pruning" on some large oaks a few yrs ago...….research if that will help your situation.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Don't you belong to Arbor Day Foundation, like all homeowners sposd to?...…….they have a site where you can learn a bunch and ask pro's.
We did "drop crotch pruning" on some large oaks a few yrs ago...….research if that will help your situation.

How long ago has that been? What species of oak? Pics of the size of the cuts? What was the reasoning for drop crotching? I’ve been leery of making true “drop crotch” cuts, though some subordination pruning sort of crosses over into that realm. I’ve always thought I’d drop crotch pruning to be main leader cuts and on larger wood than standard subordination pruning.