Ararat River Trout Report and Other Things (Jan.1 2015)

wademaster

I had to get out today. Should've gotten out the last few weekends but I've had to finish up on the house and baby stuff. I've read reports from the Ararat for months now and they've seemed to be almost all unproductive. Lots of guys say they didn't see any fish or they've all been poached in public waters. I think to get a true account of anything you need to put the footwork in and form your own opinion.

I stepped in the water before the sun was up this morning around 6:55 and the temp was 21 degrees. Eyelets and reel froze up until about 10 or so. This is one of the biggest pains ever. It made for aggravation. I toughed it out.

I had action on a black woolly bugger, a black hares ear and also a slump buster. I found it productive to work an area that looked good then change to a different tactic/fly and hit it again after a bit. Caught multiple fish in the same areas like this. It only takes a minute to change flies/tactics. It's worth it. I caught fish drifting nymphs, drifting the streamer and by letting the slump buster reach the bottom in large deep pools. I caught quite a few, lost quite a few and lost the largest one mid battle. It looked in the vicinity of 16"-18". Oh well.

I grabbed lunch and went to explore other areas I won't name but had to cut that short due to a worsening headache. I toughed it out until about 3 then hit the road.

P.S. In my opinion most places aren't as poached/fished out as most folks like to claim.

fd09535c14254b0ff884c18f3b9bd7cf.jpg

28ad54ea5f1fc7681fb91ba1cff9d296.jpg

2965250f9f6e1b3bf7be521e886eaaa7.jpg

14abc12eb87eea5163897966971b9e8f.jpg

28cc2a02df089c6737eecc5e9a018e2d.jpg

5bbfda357772f2bf3e20688bb192ba96.jpg

9516d60ef38e1a8eb9ba5b1477964fb5.jpg

6313e2f49126920be3184dd8bfa2e118.jpg

b8764305a3543960a7b11b6fa2ea69fe.jpg

3b7b725ee79578b7f01093a92bc317e9.jpg

Sent from my kayak...

Last edited:

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Nice. Made me cold looking at the pics. Guess I'm a fair weather fisherman.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

wademaster

oldest trick in the book- declare a water fished out.

True. However many guys fish waters when it's freshly stocked and catch lots. Then after a while the fish have been pressured and seen many people making them wise to tactics. Then the same guys come back and don't do so well and say well the fish are "all gone" or it's been "poached out" when lots of times it's simply not true.

bdmglockfan

I went out this morning to fish the Ararat. Had lots of ice to contend with. Still worth it though.
6d402fcf09eebebfd8c3d8dd1e6dfe4a.jpg
bf471afae52e6567b11da3abff6e552e.jpg
a835f98900b272b65323ebc6583d8422.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wademaster

I was there as well only much earlier I suspect. I was there before 7 and stayed for a couple hours. River was almost completely iced over. My truck thermometer read 11* when I was driving there. Everything would freeze up. My line even freeze up into a string of ice.

28ae4c0881999c5157ab2167c2900ee2.jpg

ba0e6b7ec094a2dacb56234d2349d05a.jpg

I went home and assembled baby furniture.....

Sent from my kayak...

bdmglockfan

I got to go back today, only had 30 minutes before dark, but they were a productive 30 minutes.
4eb836e0264d011cecec8c68fa0a97ee.jpg
e8e92a2c2eedc6757e3b9884bf119703.jpg

bdmglockfan

Yep, olive wooly bugger #8

wademaster

Yep, olive wooly bugger #8

Thought so, nice. I have lots of luck with em. However I use them mostly in slower deeper pools now.....with a bead or cone head. Nymphing is my go to tactic in the quicker runs even though I've had luck with streamers.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Thought so, nice. I have lots of luck with em. However I use them mostly in slower deeper pools now.....with a bead or cone head. Nymphing is my go to tactic in the quicker runs even though I've had luck with streamers.

You're missing out!

Some of my best fish have been on dead drifting a wooly bugger in faster water, just like any other nymph.

wademaster

You're missing out!

Some of my best fish have been on dead drifting a wooly bugger in faster water, just like any other nymph.

Not really. I use the woolly bugger in drifts just not all the time. Lots of times I'll get a fish or two on it in a drift then switch to nymphs and catch more in the same run.

Sent from my kayak...

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Not really. I use the woolly bugger in drifts just not all the time. Lots of times I'll get a fish or two on it in a drift then switch to nymphs and catch more in the same run.

Sent from my kayak...

I fish midges more than I do anything but when the water gets high and swift, I go big and light colored. I caught these 2 in swift, dirty water on a white woolly bugger, in the same run. If a fish is in swift water, he's most likely looking to be opportunistic feeders, so they aren't as picky as long as it is presented correctly. Now in slow, low clear water, especially in typical winter water, I go small with very light tippet.

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Before you know it, in February we're going to have a BWO hatch. That is going to be a fun time. The uglier the weather, the more you'll see. It's the dangdest thing.

wademaster

Before you know it, in February we're going to have a BWO hatch. That is going to be a fun time. The uglier the weather, the more you'll see. It's the dangdest thing.

Nice. Do you fish the midges like nymphs? Drag free drift.....?

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Nice. Do you fish the midges like nymphs? Drag free drift.....?

Yes sir. 6x tippet for most midges I fish. Heaviest midge closest to the fly line, and I usually fish 2 or 3. No indicator. You want to go as unnoticeable as possible with midges, they'll be your best friend if you do.

wademaster

Yes sir. 6x tippet for most midges I fish. Heaviest midge closest to the fly line, and I usually fish 2 or 3. No indicator. You want to go as unnoticeable as possible with midges, they'll be your best friend if you do.

I've been planning to pick up some midges soon. I always forget. I'm beginning a tying course soon so hopefully before too long I'll be tying whatever I want as I need it.

Sent from my kayak...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I fish midges more than I do anything but when the water gets high and swift, I go big and light colored. I caught these 2 in swift, dirty water on a white woolly bugger, in the same run. If a fish is in swift water, he's most likely looking to be opportunistic feeders, so they aren't as picky as long as it is presented correctly. Now in slow, low clear water, especially in typical winter water, I go small with very light tippet.

Nice ones Alt.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I've been planning to pick up some midges soon. I always forget. I'm beginning a tying course soon so hopefully before too long I'll be tying whatever I want as I need it.

Sent from my kayak...

You'll love tying! It's like fishing without having to be on the water, just letting it play out in your imagination while your tying flies.

wademaster

You'll love tying! It's like fishing without having to be on the water, just letting it play out in your imagination while your tying flies.

I'm hoping so. It'll be very convenient to be able to tie what I need as I need it. Especially at night when i have nothing much else to do.

Sent from my kayak...

wademaster

Alt, clean your inbox out. Pm me afterwards. Thanks.

Sent from my kayak...

Last edited: