Ar10

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Seriously contemplating selling my ar15 & building an ar10 in 308.. Looking at PSA, I know they have their own pattern. Anyone have any experience with their ar10’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I stopped using PSA years ago with all tye QC problems they had and shipping or delays.
I when to CMMG for AR10 platform and picked up lower local then ordered the parts to build a few 308 and 6.5 guns.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’d go with aero or cmmg, much better quality and the parts are dpms pattern which give you a larger selection of build resources

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just ordered and received one from Palmetto State for my brother in 7.62. It's a nice looking rig but when you add a full 30 round mag I think a cement block may weigh less....that's a heavy rascal.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Bought 2, both shoot great no issues.

PSA is gtg...just because they had delays in the "obama" days, so what.....EVERYBODY did.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I have multiple 5.56 rigs, a 6.8, and 308 from psa and no issues with any of them fyi.

Also have a AA 50 beowulf on a psa lower, no issues

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Suggest you keep the AR15 for cheapness of ammo (assuming 5.56) and weight. AR10s get heavy and you'll miss the balance and ease of carrying the 15. Get both :)

CD

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Currently i have a 300BO. I built it for hunting, I either stand or blind hunt so the weight isn’t a huge factor. I just really like the ballistic advantages of the larger round & the bullet options.

Definitely a “want”, not a “need”.. I’ve been thinking about getting a 308, the AR won out over a Henry Long Ranger.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Might think about a 6.5 Grendel too, lil things are hammers.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
They are heavy rigs, 12 lbs on MWS, around 11 on OBR. They have their place, if wanting to go long range, greater than 800 yds I would suggest a different platform.

Glennwl

Button Buck
For the money you cannot beat PSA. Just make sure you clean and lube it after firing and before you shoot it from the box. If you experience any jams it will most probably be a magazine problem not with the weapon. Try different magazines if this occurs. I would also suggest stainless. If you watch their sales you should be able to come in around 700.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah I'm leaning towards PSA. Have a PSA lower on my AR15 & have not had any issues. With a complete lower & the sales they are running on uppers, looks like I could be in around $615 with FFL fee.. Oddly it seems to be cheaper to buy an complete lower than building it.. Plan was to sell my current AR to fund the build, but a new purchase will be on hold until I'm back to work.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Figured I would update this- Was able to sell my 300BO, & buy an ar10. It’s a Delton 16”, seems to be a solid gun but haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. Any hunting ammo recommendations? I know whatever the gun shoots the best will be the determining factor ultimately..

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Figured I would update this- Was able to sell my 300BO, & buy an ar10. It’s a Delton 16”, seems to be a solid gun but haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. Any hunting ammo recommendations? I know whatever the gun shoots the best will be the determining factor ultimately..

True, depends on what your rifle likes. Just remember with a 16" velocity will be down so choose a bullet that will expand at those reduced velocities. I would focus on 125-150 gr bullets.

CD

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep 125 grn will work fine.
Been loading the 125 N BT Hunter and it has done fine for many deer.
Short range you can use the 150 and 180 but best to stick with the lighter bullet like the 125.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
The 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip will expand nicely from a 16" and 18" barreled .308Win. I can vouch for that. The Winchester Deer Season XP 150gr does expand violently from an 18" barreled .308Win and being you'd only loose around 50 fps with a 16" barrel I highly suspect it will work with a 16" barrel also.

<>< Fish

nontypical

Ten Pointer
My Lr-308 16" barrel shoots the Federal nontypical 150's and 180's well. The 150 has killed 3 deer so far for me. Haven't hunted with the 180's yet. Good thing is this ammo is usually one of the cheaper selections on the shelf. Another suggestion is to upgrade your trigger if it is factory. Larue MBT was on sale for 87.00, probably still is. Easy drop in installation.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My Lr-308 16" barrel shoots the Federal nontypical 150's and 180's well. The 150 has killed 3 deer so far for me. Haven't hunted with the 180's yet. Good thing is this ammo is usually one of the cheaper selections on the shelf. Another suggestion is to upgrade your trigger if it is factory. Larue MBT was on sale for 87.00, probably still is. Easy drop in installation.

I may upgrade the trigger, definitely going to polish & see what I can do, was able to get my PSA trigger a lot better on the last rifle.the seller had already installed lighter springs, so it’s better than stock.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd done some trigger work on my stock PSA trigger as well and figured I'd gotten it to an acceptable point...until with advice from forum members I replaced it with the Larue. Ridiculously smooth and breaks like glass....well worth the $87 I paid for it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry I was reading you were going to shoot the 300Bo
For the 308 you are fine with a 150 165 across the board even with that barrel length.
Would also kill about anything even with a 125 grn, same bullet many shoot in the BO.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve shot fed fusion 150gn in mine and it’s done well. Only drawback is remember that you’ll have abit more drop at 200-300 yards

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’ve shot fed fusion 150gn in mine and it’s done well. Only drawback is remember that you’ll have abit more drop at 200-300 yards

Yeah 200 is about the farthest we have on our spot. Just going to be nice to buy 2-3 boxes for what I was paying for one box of 300Wby.

DrAsus

Spike
Who else makes AR 10 lowers besides PSA and CMMG? I think I'd like one and do a spray paint camo job on it.

DrAsus

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Who else makes AR 10 lowers besides PSA and CMMG? I think I'd like one and do a spray paint camo job on it.

DrAsus

There are several different types of ar10/sr10 receivers. I would take a look at this site...