AR style hunting rifles

edward.penny

Button Buck
How many here hunts with a AR style gun. I have a LR-308 but tend to grab for something lighter. I enjoy shooting the LR and have shot a deer with it but hard to tote a 10+ pound rifle around the woods.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Same for me. Have both the 308 and 6.5, they are a little heavy some times.
If I go for 3 days or a week I will carry a few, light weigh bolt heavy bolt and an AR 15 in 300 BO or the AR 6.5 creedmoor.

Truth be told thd Ruger America 6.5 Pred has been my go to the last few years.
Light weight for what it is and still long range capable.

When I hunted heavy woods and short range the 16" 300 Blk AR was all I carried. Small and compact carry, light weight and would kill everything I hit DRT. I really like pistol grip guns for box stands.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I don't own 1 being a bolt action guy
BUT
many soldiers we let hunt thru TFO use them and I'm impressed with the 6mm Dasher and 6.5 Grendel and for more poop I like the .270-08 and .260 Rem or Creedmoor

odie408

Ten Pointer
I use 5.56 for coyotes and a 300 blk out for hogs but would love to have a 308 in ar frame for hogs.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My first AR was an Colt SP-1 which did't even have a forward assist, which tells how long ago I hunted with a black rifle. There wasn't much ammo to choose from back then (for medium sized game) so we hand-loaded Speer's 70 gr SP. The magazine kept the OAL so short the best we could do velocity wise was about 2100 fps, but some of my hunting buds still stacked deer like cord wood with those loads.

My current AR inventory includes rifles in 5.56 and .300 AAC, which makes for handy, short hunting rifles.

I'm going to keep an eye on Bill Wilson's new proprietary cartridge; the 300 HAM'R. The performance of that cartridge seems to really max out the potential of the standard 5.56 AR platform with much better ballistics than the 7.62 x 39 or .300 Blackout.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
There is another one turning up some, a straight wall 308 case trimmed with a 45 bullet.
Called the 45 Raptor. Sbooting 200 to 300 grn XTP and can push up to 2750.
Also has 3350 for energy.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I have 2 6.5 Grendel’s that are a joy to shoot and hammer deer.... if I’m sitting a location with more than 300 yards I grab one of my creedmoors or 300wm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I've killed a few with my LR-308. My oldest son killed a 7 pointer last year with it. I am thinking real hard about trying my 5.56 on a deer this year with the 62 grain Federal Fusion.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've killed a few with my LR-308. My oldest son killed a 7 pointer last year with it. I am thinking real hard about trying my 5.56 on a deer this year with the 62 grain Federal Fusion.

The fusion bullets work. I’ve done it as have plenty of others. If you have a rifle length AR, I believe it would work better. I have a carbine and I would rather have a little more barrel and speed. It will put them down, but I have not seen a blood trail yet. That is my downfall with them. Not every deer drops or goes down without running some.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
The fusion bullets work. I’ve done it as have plenty of others. If you have a rifle length AR, I believe it would work better. I have a carbine and I would rather have a little more barrel and speed. It will put them down, but I have not seen a blood trail yet. That is my downfall with them. Not every deer drops or goes down without running some.
It's a carbine length. Even through the ribs no blood?

nontypical

Ten Pointer
How many here hunts with a AR style gun. I have a LR-308 but tend to grab for something lighter. I enjoy shooting the LR and have shot a deer with it but hard to tote a 10+ pound rifle around the woods.
Also just a heads up, if you still are using the factory trigger, I put a Larue MBT in my LR-308 for 87 bucks and it is big upgrade over the factory trigger. I know there are better triggers available but they cost alot more.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Regarding 5.56/.223, sometimes there is blood, sometimes not, just depends. There is usually trackable blood if you get an exit. I have found Barnes bullets to be the most consistent and very effective. You can shoot them in any lethal location and get results. 16" barrel, 20" barrel, they both kill. I wouldn't worry about it until you get past 200 yds. As I understand you want to maintain at least 1800 fps for best terminal performance.

I have killed more deer with .22 caliber bullets than all other calibers combined.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Don't use it on bobcats if you want to save the pelt. Blew a huge exit hole on the one I shot last year with it. I've seen them drop a hog dead in its track with a behind the ear shot.
That might be the one I try on a deer this year then. I'm trying to get my youngest son, daughter, and maybe even my wife in the stand this year. But I need to see how it performs on deer first.

Clifford66

Button Buck
I've killed 4 with 62 grain federal fusion - short range 10 to 50 yards. About half exited the other side. The round did more damage than I thought, but not as much as 30-06.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
I've taking several deer with my 14.5" ARs in 5.56mm. Working on building a 6.8 SPC II upper specifically for hunting. Also need a upper for my .308 lower. Winchester just came out with the straight wall .350 Legend. Ballistics similar to the .35 Rem. Plan on taking my 3 grandkids deer hunting this coming season which they each use their own ARs.

Been shooting the AR platform since 83'. Today's practice session.

CD

Last edited:

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Anyone shoot .458 socom? Shoots out of a an ar-15 with just an upper change and no other mods. Might be Overkill for deer but have read it will take bear and elk under 200 yards. Just wondering if anyone used it here.

double

Twelve Pointer
Anyone shoot .458 socom? Shoots out of a an ar-15 with just an upper change and no other mods. Might be Overkill for deer but have read it will take bear and elk under 200 yards. Just wondering if anyone used it here.

Buddy has one its like shooting one with a 45-70 or a muzzyloader. A whole lotta thump and a good sized hole.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Acrually the 223 does more damage from the speed.

The reason .458 socom was developed was because SOCOM wanted a harder hitting round after combatants in somalia took multiple shots to stop or kill. The round was literally developed to do more damage than .223.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve been looking pretty seriously at a Daniel defense dd5. But just can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money on a gun.