AR style hunting rifles

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
wondering where the PCM tech is right now? Could think of a few ways to do it economically with robustness if PCMs are at that point.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back to the topic of AR platforms as a hunting weapon. As a shooter new to both the round and the platform I'd considered using mine with heavier lead-point bullets, Hornady 75 grain. Now wondering if it's feasible, even as a short range hunting weapon for whitetail.....

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I picked up some 60 grain Hornady American Whitetail from Academy Sports today. My gun shoots the 62 Federal Fusions decent. I plan on upgrading the trigger with a Larue MBT soon. My gun is 16” barrel 1:9 twist. Hope to find time to try the Hornadys this weekend. I have heard good things about the Remington Hog Hammers for deer from several people.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I haven't killed any deer with a 5.56 yet, but I've seen a bunch that have been taken by my hunting buds. A properly constructed bullet - put in the right - place kills 'em pretty dang well at reasonable ranges. I have no reservations about using mine for our deer at the ranges I'm likely to encounter them.

FWIW: My guns are zeroed with Speer 75 gr Gold Dots.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Back to the topic of AR platforms as a hunting weapon. As a shooter new to both the round and the platform I'd considered using mine with heavier lead-point bullets, Hornady 75 grain. Now wondering if it's feasible, even as a short range hunting weapon for whitetail.....

Yes. It will work well. Shoot them in the right place and from a reasonable distance and I imagine you’ll be pleased with the results.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
subjective - no more "easier to be accurate with" than a 7.62x51,,,,it's the shooter

it's ballistics don't match up with better military rounds plus it is more subject to effects of wind

I am sure you meant low recoil

you talking Armor in the military sense? Then if so, your "obviously" statement is misleading,,,yes diameter plays a small part, but projectile density, weight, and SPEED play a bigger part,,,trust me,,,no one shoots tanks or APCs witha 5.56 intending to penetrate,,,
Who needs an RPG when you have a 5.56. ?

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Since the thread is allready off topic --- Is replacing the 5.56 caliber as the standard necessary? I have several friends that are vets and they all seemed to like the 5.56 in the M4/M16 platforms but find it lacking as a LMG round. Would it make an sense to adopt a slightly heavier itermediate round like the 6.8 solely for LMGs/SAWs (not sure of proper designation)? I understand ammo compatability is a huge consideration but it seems like there could be some benefits.

I think that's why it makes sense to move away from 5.56. instead of having two different rounds just go with the 6.5 or 6.8 and use it in both. Might even be suitable for the designated marksmen or whatever they are called. 3 birds with one stone. But who knows. Just a fun topic to talk about.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I don’t recall what we used in the 6.8 now. With the 556 mine is a 1-7.7 twist so IIRC 90 gr though Ive heard some of the longer Hornady VLD style bullets can be problematic. I know some who swear by the 64 gr sp, others the 55 gr Barnes, I was planning something a little heavier though.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Yes. It will work well. Shoot them in the right place and from a reasonable distance and I imagine you’ll be pleased with the results.

Only issue is blood trails.... I’ve killed 3 with a 556 (fed fusion 62gn) and the one that ran out of sight was hell to find, none of them bled more than a few drops so tracking was difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Only issue is blood trails.... I’ve killed 3 with a 556 (fed fusion 62gn) and the one that ran out of sight was hell to find, none of them bled more than a few drops so tracking was difficult.

What were the ranges when you shot the deer and where was the shot placement?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve killed a hand full of >100# deer with the
.223. 200yds and in. 223yds was the longest. Like said above little blood. But internal damage is massive. If you don’t bump the and give it time they will only go 50yds. I’ve seen deer run that with 7mags.
The TSX by Barnes hammers them. This year I’m going to shoot one with a heavy smk and see what happens.
Are there bigger and better calibers yes but nothing wrong with a .223 for normal deer hunting ranges. No different than shooting one with a 30-30 at 100yds.
Cheers.
I have 20+ loaded 62gn TSX over 23gn AR-comp if you would like to try some on deer.
Pretty sure you will be impressed. It will jelly the boiler room up well.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Ranges were from 60 to 150 yards.. shot placement on the 2 that dropped in sight was neck shots, the one that ran was just behind the shoulder (typical archery placement) and on recovery the damage was good. Bother lungs were liquified, but no exit and blood trail was minimal, few drops over the entire 300yard track. After that I decided that the smallest I’ll let the kids or myself use will be one of the 6.5 Grendel’s, just a superior round for deer. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not gonna sell off my 5.56’s they’re fun and do serve a purpose, and they most definitely will kill, they just have their disadvantages as most things will.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t think you are going to find substantial recoil in any ar15 chambering. I’ve not shot the big ones, but some of those are loaded in pistols.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I am 50/50 on this one (5.56) for deer. I really don't want to rely on neck shots for my kids/ wife. Any reasonably priced uppers 6.5 G or 6.8 SPC you guys know of. Sounds like PSA are good. How about factory ammo availability. I fully intend on learning how to reload eventually, but the up front cost and the time involved to learn puts it on the back burner.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I went over to the local gun shop near me at lunch. Turns out the gentleman who works there let his daughters hunt with 5.56 in the Barnes TSX 55 gr. He said shoot right in the shoulder, pretty good blood trail, and they don't tote it very far. I think the ammo is called Vortx. Left me feeling a little more reassured. I was planning on buying a cellular game camera this year, didn't want to spend that money on an upper.?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
That's what I have been worried about. How much recoil does your 6.5 G have?

Same as the 5.56.... relatively nonexistent and I have shot out to 350 yards with good results. Been using Hornady black as they’re basically the Amax bullet and have pretty good velocity (2385) out of my 16 inch barrel, and great from my 24 inch rifle (2560). The longer barrel gets velocity near to a 308 but packs a bit less energy with a 123gn pill, still more than adequate for deer out to 500, but the drop is significantly more. However most wouldn’t attempt that far of a shot without ballistic calculators anyway with any round.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I went over to the local gun shop near me at lunch. Turns out the gentleman who works there let his daughters hunt with 5.56 in the Barnes TSX 55 gr. He said shoot right in the shoulder, pretty good blood trail, and they don't tote it very far. I think the ammo is called Vortx. Left me feeling a little more reassured. I was planning on buying a cellular game camera this year, didn't want to spend that money on an upper.[emoji1662]

I don’t care how many say it’s ok, shooting a shoulder (bone) shot with a 223 is just begging to not recover that deer. Sure you may recover some but there will be more “failed to recover” than with other calibers taking the same shot placement. They will kill but I would pick another caliber for a youth, and I say that given that’s what I started my kids on.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
the one that ran was just behind the shoulder (typical archery placement) and on recovery the damage was good. Bother lungs were liquified, but no exit and blood trail was minimal, few drops over the entire 300yard track.

If a deer runs 300 yards after being shot in the lungs, there was a failure of some kind. You can put a plain old 55 gr. soft point behind the shoulder, and they won't make it 50 yards. Every time.

I guess you can't convince everybody, but my boys will shoot .223/5.56 probably until they hit their teens. I kill deer with it regularly. I've lost a couple deer with my .30-06 over the years, even shooting high dollar bonded bullets. To date, I can't recall a deer making it more than 75 yards with the .223. When I hear hunters who shoot deer with arrows tell me that a .223 won't kill a deer or they are too inconsistent, I'm just SMH.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Sky Hawk, you and Killer Hamilton have both mentioned the Barnes TSX, I hadn't seen that one on the shelves at any of the stores that I shop at, but the guy I talked to today is gonna start keeping them. I like the fact that they are all copper constructed and expand rapidly and hold together well. I believe I will try those, and keep the shots within 100 yards. Thanks for the input!

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Something else I thought about was using a reduced recoil load in my 308. I know Hornady makes custom lite ammo. Anyone ever tried it. I wonder if the gun would cycle properly. LR - 308

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seems like a good variety of folks have given opinions on the 5.56/.223 on deer out of an ar.

Please just keep in mind there is a difference between a 16” barrel with gas ports and a 22” bolt action barrel. The 16” carbine barrel will have less velocity and therefore less power.

I’ve killed deer with an ar15 and a carbine barrel. It can be done. I just don’t know that I would say it is a good choice.

I shot possibly my biggest buck to date this year. It was a longer shot with a .243. I was behind the gun squeezing the trigger thinking “I sure wouldn’t mind the .30-06 right now”. That deer is dead and will soon be on the wall. I’ve killed many many deer with that same .243 rifle and trust it probably more than any other gun I’ve had. Still didn’t stop me from wanting a bit more thump.

The 5.56 or .223 is not a thumper of any sorts. Barnes will probably be the best offering. I’ve seen that on here and heard enough from trusted folks to form my opinion there. I use a federal fusion msr load.

I think in the long run a .243 or another necked down .308 variant in a bolt gun would offer you a better value for introducing kids to shooting deer.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I have a bolt 6.5 cm and a bolt 30-30. I just like the adjustable stock of the ar for different size shooters. My youngest son can probably handle the creedmoor fine. I think I will try the custom lite 125 Hornady in my 308 just to see how it performs.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
The Hornady Lite ammo does extremely well. I used the 7-08 variety for many many deer with New Hunters and kicks like nothing. It’s using a light Cup and Core SST so Expansion is very good at the slower speeds. I prefer them a lot over Corelokt low recoil. I used to Hornady Lite for 4+ years myself since I usually had the UL 7-08 for the kids with me. Shot them from Straight below to 250 yards and no issues. Shoulders, lung, heart, quartering to, quartering away. Only one doe needed a follow up but we found her pretty easily and it was a same side exit type shot my Son took at Lee’s place. Had a massive hole with stomach/intestines hanging out so would have been fatal even if we didn’t track immediately.