AR platform trigger

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Has anyone used one or has one installed? If all my guns hadn't gone overboard in the last hurricane I was going to install one on a mil-spec Anderson lower.

It's easy to install for sure, the easiest. Everything about this trigger is fast, short and light. It feels more like a switch than a trigger and a very low resistance switch at that. There is virtually no reset, to a point where you might think it could be faulty at first. The break is quick with zero creep, super light and as crisp as possible. This is not a trigger I'd want on any defensive rifle because it "wants" to shoot and I've also fired off a few accidental double taps which isn't something I'm prone to doing. Also, some of my crappy steel case ammunition seems to reject this hammer's effort at igniting them. Still, this is a fun trigger that's a joy to shoot at the range but my advice is to keep it there especially if you have ammo with harder primers.

At this price point I like the CMC drop in trigger a little bit more, if you're looking for a single stage drop in. If you are looking for the best all around trigger at that price point the Larue MBT is the best deal.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Yep, I put one in my last build and one in my moms (dont laugh). In my opinion its a really nice drop in single stage trigger. Easy to install and both sit right at 3.5lb pull weight.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I went with the LaRue MBT as well, found it for $89 online with a link given to me by a forum member. Might be a little tougher install but even for a complete rookie like me it was still quick and simple. I'm not sure you could ask for a better, cleaner break....

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I like a drop in trigger. One that does not need any tools or parts removed to service.

Most mine are SSA, S3G or SSA-E Giselle triggers.

Aside from that many USGI or other match triggers.
CMC is also great but as stated got to take parts off to clean and service. They are good but not my number 1 go to.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
That’s why LaRue had to drop the price to 89, the price used to be much higher but could not directly compete with the “G”. It’s a good trigger for the money, certainly better than a factory mil-spec trigger.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
From what I've read, the only reason LaRue got into the trigger business is because he and Mr. G got into a pissing contest over some business arrangements and some personal comments that followed. Mr. G apparently thought he was the only one that could make a decent AR trigger and LaRue showed him that not only was it not too difficult, he could do it better and sell it cheaper.

LaRue's trigger was selling well enough at the introductory price but LaRue decided to make his point just a little stronger by reducing the price ..... twice. If you were paying attention over the last 5 years or so, G triggers were hardly ever sold at a discount until LaRue got into the business. Now, it's not uncommon to find them "on sale" and it's my understanding G trigger sales have still taken a hit. Mr. G better hope Larue doesn't decide to expand his SKU's beyond the one 2-stage offering they have.

Last edited:

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
From what I've read, the only reason LaRue got into the trigger business is because he and Mr. G got into a pissing contest over some business arrangements and some personal comments that followed. Mr. G apparently thought he was the only one that could make a decent AR trigger and LaRue showed him that not only was it not too difficult, he could do it better and sell it cheaper.

LaRue's trigger was selling well enough at the introductory price but LaRue decided to make his point just a little stronger by reducing the price ..... twice. If you were paying attention over the last 5 years or so, G triggers were hardly ever sold at a discount until LaRue got into the business. Now, it's not uncommon to find them "on sale" and it's may understanding G trigger sales have still taken a hit. Mr. G better hope Larue doesn't decide to expand his SKU's beyond the one 2-stage offering they have.

If you frequent www.ar15.com for any amount of time, you'll find out that LaRue makes world class AR mounts and other equipment. The other thing you'll find is that Mark LaRue is a world class pecker head. At one time he was banned from posting on some of the forums there, even tho he's a site sponsor. He frequently picks fights and doesn't take constructive criticism very well at all. It's very entertaining sometimes :)

That said, I've had a lot of AR triggers. I think the LaRue trigger is on par with the RRA National Match trigger. It's a step behind the Geissele SSA-E, but it's less than half the price. So it's a bargain in that respect.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
I thought the problem was Geissele expanding into the rail and mount business and obtaining numerous Socom contracts over Larue. Either way both should serve well. Carry on.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I thought the problem was Geissele expanding into the rail and mount business and obtaining numerous Socom contracts over Larue. Either way both should serve well. Carry on.

Yea, that was essentially the issue. LaRue sold a ton of G triggers (making G a lot of money) and he never felt compelled to dabble in the trigger business ... even though he was more than able to do so. So, when G decided to get into the mount business, LaRue just returned the favor.

Hey, believe me I get it .... it's a free market and this is just business on some level. But, it is what it is and how LaRue chose to make his point is not my concern. I do business with him solely on the basis that he makes a quality product and backs it with extraordinary customer service.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Buy a LaRue. You will never want another trigger in an AR platform.
Bring this back from the dead....
I hope you are correct. Went to their site looking some new triggers. To be totally honest just want to try some different stuff. For 70$ each thought I would try them.
Got their two stage and single stage flat and curved. We will see how they stack up to the Geiselle triggers and CMC along with others.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I am a firm believer in the MBT-2S. I had to wait ~ 4 months for mine when they first came out. I have one in every AR except 1 and it has the G trigger (pre-MBT days).

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I am a firm believer in the MBT-2S. I had to wait ~ 4 months for mine when they first came out. I have one in every AR except 1 and it has the G trigger (pre-MBT days).
You need a few more?

Not to happy with them. Need range time but lots of trigger slap.
The single stage is good.
The 2 stage flat is really hard on the finger, on reset, it needs to move forward about 1/8" or to cock. If you follow through on the trigger it will slap the finger.

Not sure if this one has problems or what. Will try it in another reciever and also try the curved. I have not even opened to Curve 2s trigger.

Would like to know if yours does the same? Pull the trigger then cock it when the trigger is to the back see if it forces the trigger forward.

None of the slap in my other triggers CMC, Giessele, CMMG, or othes.

Last edited:

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I'm good unless I build another rifle. Mine are all curved so I can't comment on the flat. I have not experienced the issue you are with any of mine.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Tried it in another reciever and also in their test platform. Still the same slap.
The single stage trigger worked good not checked pull.weight but it is about the same as a USGI tuned trigger. But out if the box ready to shoot with no work.

Plan to try the curved trigger tomorrow when I get more time. The trigger designs are the same just different shape on the trigger.

Would like to know if yours has movement when cocked. May be their design.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I put a rise armament trigger in one of the 300 BO pistols I built and I really like it. It is a flat trigger and it feel great to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Tried the curved trigger yesterday in a gun, did not get to hit the range so just did some dryfire runs. The curve trigger has very little slap. Good feel and good break on it. Put it back it the test frame and was the same. Just a very little trigger slap. Cleaned it a little and more grease on the disconnect and sear made a big difference after several cycles.
Not sure what is up with the flat. Being the same design and the disconnect is not moving much, looks like spring is binding some. Plan to give them a call tomorrow.

There test platforms are very nice to work in a trigger and tune them.

1585618013173882222992.jpg

Last edited:

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
All my curved MBT-2S triggers function on par with the one G trigger I have. Small sample size but it sounds like yours are better than the flat.

Very odd about the flat trigger.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
After several calls and too long wait time I had the time to call today. 45 min wait time.but got to a guy in their technical support. He was not up on the flat trigger, said they are the same design and should be the same pull. He stated he only uses the the curve triggers.
He went and got both and tested them. He said the same, bad trigger slap and a lot of it. Said the trigger had to move a lot to reset. Also said that would not be the trigger for him and would not use it. Also said, what I said it is spot on and he said not the trigger I would want or like.
Ask where that leaves us and he said it is something to know if I sell it or give it to someone. Ask how he could help and said not much. If it is returned and looks like it has been used tbey would just return it as is. If I pay for return and shipping unused he will replace with curved. No return option.
Said it is the way it is. Just has a hard reset and lot of trigger slap..
Also you can not service the trigger disconnect or spring due to their design.

So don't know what to think. Guess I will just sell it, or pass it on. Not going to deal with a trigger like that or one you can not service.
As he said it is in the design. Does not sound like they carry much or do much of warranty on the triggers.
Guess I will stick to my triggers I build/tune or Giessele and CMC or others with many a round and never a problem yet.