Appmtnhntr’s 2020 Elk Rifle Ramble

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
How are those bikes doing?
Only way to hunt this place if you don’t have a horse. It’s a 7ish mile ride back and forth on random range roads and two-tracks to get where the elk seem to live and travel. It’s a No Mans Land in between and you can’t really go overland through the sand and cactus. No camping and no overnight access so you gotta come in fresh every day.

Still horrendous to pack one out.
I overdid it yesterday but three of us were able to pack the whole bull in one trip.
I carried a ham and shoulder bone in, plus the horns.
My buddy carried the other ham and shoulder.
My brother carried our excess gear and the wobbly bits of meat.

We had like 1.3 miles to walk, then the bike ride back. Pretty brutal on my back and balls with all that weight Bouncing down a gravel and sand two-track.

Then my brothers chain blew about halfway out, so we ferried all the meat to the truck, and went back with straps to tow him out.
Total OnX track yesterday biking and walking was 21.2 miles.
9D78D5FB-2AB4-4BC3-8434-C84331740AA8.jpeg2EF886F4-85D1-490D-B5D5-EFBDFD757A7E.jpeg

This place is brutal. Pics above are the tow out in 20mph headwinds. And the vast nothingness you have to ride through to get to some more contoured terrain that’s got water and feed

If you didn’t have the bikes, you wouldn’t get to the elk till noon, and you’d have to start walking out at 2.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
They are rentals. They’re only allowed on BLM and USFWS lands. Not allowed at all on any forest service land, even trails marked for motorized travel, which is stupid.
We brought two atvs with us in case we didn’t find elk down low, but haven’t needed to probe into the mountains yet.

The brand and model are Haibike Fatsix 8.0

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
DEB7BC54-929C-420B-B7A9-A696EB665C34.jpegC6995E49-94C6-4C62-9610-23788402E100.jpegE721299B-AA4A-4878-AF7E-2D7E6CBA7791.jpeg
Couple pics of the area and kill.

Desolate unforgiving place. And lol, no meat trees. Gotta have Dexter plastic.

Dressing him by myself was NOT fun but I was way too far from everyone else for them to end their day at 7am.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Just got out with one whole bull. The other is hanging for retrieval tomorrow morning.

Our last two hunters are gonna go early and we’ll slide in with frames once they give the all clear.
Tonights packout was 15 miles on the bikes and about 9 miles on foot.

Brother killed a 6pt frame bull that had one side broke above the brow.
Buddy shot a heavy 6pt that had 7 broken tines.

Some real fighters out here.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Just got out with one whole bull. The other is hanging for retrieval tomorrow morning.

Our last two hunters are gonna go early and we’ll slide in with frames once they give the all clear.
Tonights packout was 15 miles on the bikes and about 9 miles on foot.

Brother killed a 6pt frame bull that had one side broke above the brow.
Buddy shot a heavy 6pt that had 7 broken tines.

Some real fighters out here.
8D848117-CE95-4F1D-B7BB-46F4519A8F19.jpegFD8B87A8-0999-40A0-BC66-E7067382E1E2.jpeg
Shots were somewhere around 200. They didn’t need to range.
3ish mile stalk on these bulls bedded.
One was DRT with the 338 ultra mag.
One went a little ways with some 3006 180 grain accubonds helping him.

Tired. We ate steaks. I need a shower.
Got 4 quarters to pack out in the morning.

My brothers first elk!!