Appliance shelf for the pantry

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Built the wife a nice sized walk-in pantry off the kitchen. Knocked this shelf together over the weekend and its almost ready for paint. Its 27.5" wide, 16" deep, and 96" tall. Each shelf is double layered for strength with hidden cleats. Will mostly hold things like crock pots, air fryer, rice cooker, blender, etc, so all but the top couple shelves are 16" & 15" tall. Weighs ~200 #

Told the wife it was too pretty to stain, but she wants it white so that's what it will be.

This will be in the back left of the pantry and there will be "L" shaped cabinets, countertops and shelving that go down the right wall and turn 90 degrees left to meet up with the side of this unit.

Attachments

• 20220503_220257.jpg
    20220503_220257.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 26

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
What kind of paint (latex or oil) and how long does it need to dry? It seems that if I paint any shelving, paint will stick to the items I put on the shelf. I'm thinking a white stain may work better.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What kind of paint (latex or oil) and how long does it need to dry? It seems that if I paint any shelving, paint will stick to the items I put on the shelf. I'm thinking a white stain may work better.

Latex, and yes stuff can stick to it depending on factors. Valspar seems to never fully cure and is always a little tacky.

Paint with latex then finish coat with water-based polyurethane. Items wont stick, easier to clean and lasts longer.

That's a good idea, at least for the shelf tops if nothing else.

I'd thought about lining the tops of the shelves with this. I've used a lot of HDPE in industry and its very durable but can be scratched. Stuff slides on it pretty well.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
In the middle of a similar project for my daughter. We finally were able to get a shelf tower from Ikea and installed it in the right corner then installed two cabinets between it and the back wall. She's trying to get hold of some suspended shelf brackets so I can cobble up a pair of shelves above and to the left of the cabinets. The cupboard isn't perfectly square so that should present a challenge when trying to miter the corner.