Appliance Question - Wall Mounted Oven/Microwave

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I know this isnt hunting related but hoping someone has some advice on where to turn. I have a wall mounted oven stack with microwave where the microwave has stopped working. Microwave runs but doesnt heat. I had an appliance guy come out and look at it and he quoted me $500 to repair with half that being labor since it will take two of them to remove the entire stack since apparently you can only access them from behind so they have to bring a special dolly to get it out.

I figured why would I pay $500 to repair a microwave when you can buy them cheaper than that. Apparently wall mounted ones arent that simple and I cant find one that matches the same dimensions as the one I currently have. I've looked at the standard places (lowes, home depot, best buy, etc). I can get one smaller but then I have to buy a new trim kit and theres no guarantee the new trim kit will match the one I have.

I also thought I could just go ahead and replace the entire stack but again, cant find one that matches the dimensions since the current one has a warming drawer in the middle of the stack which means I'm looking at possibly needing to have some cabinet work done if I go that route and they are expensive also.

These appliances were all in the house when I bought it so I'd say at least 10-15 years old. They are Thermador brand which the appliance guy said are super expensive thus the high cost to repair. I'm running out of ideas so leaning towards just paying the repair to be done with it but theres no guarantee that something else wont break a week later.

Question is, has anyone run into a similar problem and how did you end up resolving it?

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
Not sure how much room you have not being able to see it.
But , I use to have a double oven. I replaced it with a single oven , added a drawer on bottom and a cabinet on top to hold a new microwave.
Cabinet guy did the reworking for the new setup for less than what your repair guy wants.
That's an option for you to rearrange the current setup .

BamBam

Eight Pointer
You’ve got a good repair quote. Those M-wave/oven combo’s are a pain to work on. Thermador is a good brand. If you like the unit,, do the repair. Finding a new replacement is going to be a headache and cost more than $500.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
3a90b53ad05b43056f89ff6ee9e01424.jpg

Yes, I had an oven/microwave combo where the microwave broke. The above photo was my solution. While that looks like one unit, it is actually a wall oven and a separate microwave that has a trim kit around it. The microwave is just a countertop model that sits on a shelf that was built above the oven unit. You have to get up close to see it is not all one unit. To get it all to fit, I did have to sacrifice one drawer below the oven. There used to be two drawers for storage.

I will say that this isn't a cheap solution. I did it because the microwave is the most likely thing to break. In the future, all I have to do is replace the microwave which is much cheaper than the oven/microwave combo. That future has already occurred once. I have had to replace the microwave once since I had this work done.

Last edited:

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There is also an appliance shortage going on as well. I replaced my on the fritz micro/oven combo and low end pricing was $2700.00. $500 repair stings but I would have gone that route.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
If you look on Youtube etc you might find enough videos to DIY repair the microwave. I fixed mine a couple years back for $50 or so and it lasted another 2 years. It shouldn't have broken the first time if my wife hadnt cooked back-to-back baked potatoes for 40-some women in her ladies club. I don't have my notes with me (i am out of state another week or so) but there are only 3 or 4 things/components that can go wrong with a microwave and it's fairly simple to diagnose which area/component has the fail/fault. My BIL had an appliance business for 35 years so his brief guidance helped . PM me if you want more details.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
If you look on Youtube etc you might find enough videos to DIY repair the microwave. I fixed mine a couple years back for $50 or so and it lasted another 2 years. It shouldn't have broken the first time if my wife hadnt cooked back-to-back baked potatoes for 40-some women in her ladies club. I don't have my notes with me (i am out of state another week or so) but there are only 3 or 4 things/components that can go wrong with a microwave and it's fairly simple to diagnose which area/component has the fail/fault. My BIL had an appliance business for 35 years so his brief guidance helped . PM me if you want more details.

Thanks, I looked into trying to do it myself. It appears the magneto and/or diode needs be replaced is the most common issue. The magneto alone is over $200 so figure i'd just go ahead and let them do it.