App Trail Watauga Lake

zbrady

Four Pointer
Looking at doing a weekend trip on this section of the trail. Does anyone here have experience with this part? I’ve got a few questions

Lee

Six Pointer
Like 41magfan I've done that section, but it's stored way back in the memory files. I still have the section maps. Post up the questions; it may jog a memory

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Yes. I'm there often, we have a cabin walking distance to that section on the S end of the lake...I've also done a good bit just across 321 in Laurel Fork/Pond Mountain.

zbrady

Four Pointer
How available is water along the trail (not counting the lake)? How feasible is camping along that section if a shelter is closed or you can't get to one? Thanks for any input

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
How available is water along the trail (not counting the lake)? How feasible is camping along that section if a shelter is closed or you can't get to one? Thanks for any input

Can you give me a better idea of which section? Start and end points?

zbrady

Four Pointer
Can you give me a better idea of which section? Start and end points?

We'll be putting in at the Shook Branch Recreation Area, and going North. Our plan is to cover as much as we can over three days. Planning for the first night at the Vendeventer Shelter. Once we are on the main ridge going North, what's the water situation?

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Day One:
Should be able to get water at the visitor center at the dam and then you will be relying on creeks and springs. As you get close to the shelter you can drop off the west face a bit down into a small valley that has water...or wait until you get to the shelter and take the spring trail behind the shelter to water...it's a longer walk but easier. Day one is nearly all of your elevation gain

Day Two:

Refill before you leave camp, and then there is a spring about halfway through your second day just off a saddle/trail junction. If I recall it is marked on the topo? Hard to miss. I am assuming you do ~7-8mi like on Day one and end up a bit past turkeypen at the shelter There is water just off the trail to the East a couple hundred m or so before the shelter. You also have that small valley off the west face that runs much of the ridgeline and there will always be water in it this time of year...but you have to drop 150-200'. Though I would imagine as wet as it has been a lot of the seeps just off the ridgleline are active. Day two is easy ridge walking

Day Three:
Not sure where you are calling it quits, 91? 34? Fill up before you leave...it's mostly downhill from here after the first little bit. There will be a couple possible water sources at seeps/heads on the way, but you shouldn't need much. Once you come off the ridge you will have plenty of options...gets really wet before 91. I don't know all that much about that Locust section between 91 and 34 if you are stopping at 34...there is another shelter, but the 91-34 section is another 7ish miles and may end up being more than you want on your last day. Day three is mostly downhill after your first bit.

If you are wanting to finish at 34 you may want to go past Iron Mtn shelter and camp just before you drop down to 91 just to make a more even mileage distribution.

One word of caution...there are more bears in this area Big Laurel and across the lake at Pond Mountain than I have seen anywhere. It's not even close. If you are not familiar with camping in extremely high bear densities and around potential nuisance bears, I would read up a bit and take the proper precautions. If you are, then no worries, just stick to best practice.

Have fun! When are you going? Our cabin is across the cove and up the Mountain from Shook Br.

zbrady

Four Pointer
Day One:
Should be able to get water at the visitor center at the dam and then you will be relying on creeks and springs. As you get close to the shelter you can drop off the west face a bit down into a small valley that has water...or wait until you get to the shelter and take the spring trail behind the shelter to water...it's a longer walk but easier. Day one is nearly all of your elevation gain

Day Two:

Refill before you leave camp, and then there is a spring about halfway through your second day just off a saddle/trail junction. If I recall it is marked on the topo? Hard to miss. I am assuming you do ~7-8mi like on Day one and end up a bit past turkeypen at the shelter There is water just off the trail to the East a couple hundred m or so before the shelter. You also have that small valley off the west face that runs much of the ridgeline and there will always be water in it this time of year...but you have to drop 150-200'. Though I would imagine as wet as it has been a lot of the seeps just off the ridgleline are active. Day two is easy ridge walking

Day Three:
Not sure where you are calling it quits, 91? 34? Fill up before you leave...it's mostly downhill from here after the first little bit. There will be a couple possible water sources at seeps/heads on the way, but you shouldn't need much. Once you come off the ridge you will have plenty of options...gets really wet before 91. I don't know all that much about that Locust section between 91 and 34 if you are stopping at 34...there is another shelter, but the 91-34 section is another 7ish miles and may end up being more than you want on your last day. Day three is mostly downhill after your first bit.

If you are wanting to finish at 34 you may want to go past Iron Mtn shelter and camp just before you drop down to 91 just to make a more even mileage distribution.

One word of caution...there are more bears in this area Big Laurel and across the lake at Pond Mountain than I have seen anywhere. It's not even close. If you are not familiar with camping in extremely high bear densities and around potential nuisance bears, I would read up a bit and take the proper precautions. If you are, then no worries, just stick to best practice.

Have fun! When are you going? Our cabin is across the cove and up the Mountain from Shook Br.

Thanks for all of the info! We are planning on putting in on 2/19.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
With as much rain as we've had this year, and you've got a decent filter, water shouldn't be an issue.