Apocalyptic Moment in Turkey

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not seeing these two new earthquakes on the usgs maps. Are they from today or were they aftershocks yesterday? The weather is cold and thousands of people are trapped and the will not survive the elements long enough to be rescued. Truly tragic

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not seeing these two new earthquakes on the usgs maps. Are they from today or were they aftershocks yesterday? The weather is cold and thousands of people are trapped and the will not survive the elements long enough to be rescued. Truly tragic

I think it was yesterday morning. I believe I heard that the first after shock was almost as strong as the initial earthquake.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
First quake was 7.8, followed 10 hrs later by a 7.5 "aftershock" though it may have been a main shock on a different fault released by the previous 7.8...so two quakes in 12 hrs that were 7.5-8.0...the second big one is where most the building collapse videos come from in daylight.

Would not be surprised to see this get well into the 10's of thousands dead...all those heavily damaged building in the first quake had no chance in the second one....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
I'm guessing this will be the worst ever quake devastation

No there have been many earthquakes that have done more damage than this, heck the 2004 Boxing day earthquake and tsunami killed a quarter million people. China has had earthquakes that have killed nearly a million.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I'm guessing this will be the worst ever quake devastation
Nah, when an over 9.0 happens, and affects the rotation of the Earth, and far away people see liquifaction on top of the ground,.....that is WORST case quake possible. I know it happened in Japan, and I think that also happened a long time ago in Alaska.

What I don't understand is how a 7.7 ish is gigantically more powerful than a 7.0? Both can crumble man made structures. 9.0+ on the other hand can change parts of the planet.

Prayers for all involved in this powerful quake.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Nah, when an over 9.0 happens, and affects the rotation of the Earth, and far away people see liquifaction on top of the ground,.....that is WORST case quake possible. I know it happened in Japan, and I think that also happened a long time ago in Alaska.

What I don't understand is how a 7.7 ish is gigantically more powerful than a 7.0? Both can crumble man made structures. 9.0+ on the other hand can change parts of the planet.

Prayers for all involved in this powerful quake.

A logarithmic scale is used.Screenshot_20230208-222905_Google.jpg

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
7.8 is a huge quake by any standard especially when it happens under a heavily developed area.....even the US west coast or Japan will have a lot of damage and issues if a 7.8 hit under a major city....the Bay Area and Northridge quakes were both 6.8ish for example.

Still these are hundreds of times smaller compared to the big boys on this list....

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Watching those videos just strikes a different nerve. Imagine losing everything you’ve ever know including family and friends in such a short amount of time. Or just falling into the earth while sitting in your office. I can’t imagine what it would be like to work on an emergency team in that area.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Earthquakes are crazy fascinating as destructive as they are. The New Madrid quake…sent the Mississippi backwards for a few hours, created Reelfoot lake, sand boils, tar balls, etc….

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sad!
It's been 50 years since I dealt with logarithmic scales but I think a 7.7 has twice the power of a 7.5!

10 raised to 7.0 = 10,000,000
10 raised to 7.7 = 50,118,723

Over five times more more energy in a 7.7 than a 7.0. I'm guessing there are other factors that can affect destruction, like the duration, direction of shift (lateral vs vertical), whether it's a quick lurch or just grinding past each other. The 1964 Alaska quake lasted nearly five minutes. I also read that the US west coast has softer rocks that dissipate the energy quickly, where any quake in the East (e.g., New Madrid or Charleston) would be destructive over greater distances.

And it seems like this board doesn't support all of BBCODE. I tried 10[sup]7.7[/sup] and it didn't work.

Last edited:

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Watching those videos just strikes a different nerve. Imagine losing everything you’ve ever know including family and friends in such a short amount of time. Or just falling into the earth while sitting in your office. I can’t imagine what it would be like to work on an emergency team in that area.

There is a photo somewhere of a guy sitting vigil on the edge of the rubble holding the protruding hand of his crushed 16 year old daughter. My daughter turned 16 today.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The human condition is fragile at best, mother nature is the 800lb gorilla that will do as it pleases and we are but passengers along for the ride. I often wonder when I see these 'strong quakes' just how much power was involved pushing up the rockies.. that potential I guess is still there I guess. (though I assume that happened when the earth had not cooled as much)

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
My brain is actually having trouble comprehending some if these videos. Never seen anything like that.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
The human condition is fragile at best, mother nature is the 800lb gorilla that will do as it pleases and we are but passengers along for the ride. I often wonder when I see these 'strong quakes' just how much power was involved pushing up the rockies.. that potential I guess is still there I guess. (though I assume that happened when the earth had not cooled as much)
I’m thinking you’re right about the cooled earth thing, and more powerful quakes but I also think it potentially happened on a much slower rate than we can fathom. The last episode responsible for forming the Rockies was 55-80 million years ago. If you take just the one episode over the course of 25 million years, also accounting for erosion, and factor in that parts of the Himalayan’s are still growing at up to 5mm a year, that’s plenty to time for them to form without a catastrophic quake of unfathomable proportions, or 5, creating them in one fell swoop (or 5).

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

The Himalayian mountains are still growing as the Indian plate collides with the Eurasian plate.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Himalayian mountains are still growing as the Indian plate collides with the Eurasian plate.
yep and I may be completely wrong, but I suspect that they did not grow at the current rate initially. Not trying to say they were thrust up all at once however, I am not sure we can grasp just how big quakes have been in geological history. I just wonder if some of those make the biggest ones humans have ever recorded look pretty small.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My brain is actually having trouble comprehending some if these videos. Never seen anything like that.
You have to keep in mind that the camera is most likely being shaken by the same forces as the area being videoed. That makes it hard to judge the real magnitude of what you are seeing. A slight movement of the camera has a huge impact on what you see.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
yep and I may be completely wrong, but I suspect that they did not grow at the current rate initially. Not trying to say they were thrust up all at once however, I am not sure we can grasp just how big quakes have been in geological history. I just wonder if some of those make the biggest ones humans have ever recorded look pretty small.

You should watch “Is Genesis History?” On Amazon Prime. Interesting thoughts around cataclysmic changes in earth.