Anything I can plant now?

BJordan

Eight Pointer
Wasn't planning on doing a food plot this year but now that I've lost one place to hunt I need to try to get one planted. I have a 1/2 acre disked and prepped. Anything I can plant now that would be beneficial as an attractant for late season?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As stated, oats, winter wheat and rye will all make a nice food plot now and clover will get a good jump for next season. You can use this late time to go ahead and add lime and anything else the plot may need before it gets cold enough that the plants don't take up a lot of nutrients. I actually planted a brassicas mix in my garden this past week and I'm in a cold zone, I expect to get a few leaves to munch on before a hard freeze.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Oats have been the best of the grains for me. I lightly disc in soybeans sometimes. And if the earlier frost kills the soybeans and there are going to be quite a few non frost nights that make it worthwhile, I have planted some more soybeans.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Not intended at OP but I see a lot of people freaking out because they think it’s too late to plant their fall plots. I have never planted my oats until the last week of sept/first week of October. I just sprayed my sunflower field yesterday. I’ll give it 4-5 days and then plant. I personally wouldn’t even worry about it being too late until mid/late October.

If I planted my oats in august or august or early sept like some people do, they’d be 10”-12” tall by the time the deer got off the acorns and started wanting the oats. I have high deer densities here but they hate oats, wheat or rye once it gets past about 4” tall. Plus, the taller it is, the more likely you’ll have frost damage.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Always choose Durana for hilltops,sandy soil over ladino. Durana has a much deeper root but takes a full two years to get established.
Ladino works great in more moisture holding soils and does better as a mix with red clovers.
I always liked the look of Durana and the turkeys love the little leaves but I can't say one is more appealing to deer than the other.
Other than price, is there a reason to pick Ladino over Durana

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I just planted turnips and radishes last week. Takes 50-55 days to mature.

planting wheat and rye tomorrow

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Not intended at OP but I see a lot of people freaking out because they think it’s too late to plant their fall plots. I have never planted my oats until the last week of sept/first week of October. I just sprayed my sunflower field yesterday. I’ll give it 4-5 days and then plant. I personally wouldn’t even worry about it being too late until mid/late October.

If I planted my oats in august or august or early sept like some people do, they’d be 10”-12” tall by the time the deer got off the acorns and started wanting the oats. I have high deer densities here but they hate oats, wheat or rye once it gets past about 4” tall. Plus, the taller it is, the more likely you’ll have frost damage.
I've heard that too from a local farmer around my parts, said the same thing. Always said first week of October was best for sowing oats...good information dark

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Rye is a total waste of money for anything other than looking at a green plot. It’s in so many food plot mixes because it just about grows on concrete and is idiot proof.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rye is a total waste of money for anything other than looking at a green plot. It’s in so many food plot mixes because it just about grows on concrete and is idiot proof.
Big difference in the rye grass that's in a lot of those mixes and rye grain that most people plant. In certain places rye grain gets as much forage action as the other grains such as oats or wheat and is very reliable. It's much better to mix grains in your plot in my experience, deer aren't nearly as choosy when they have a variety of similar forage. It's also better to have something green all season than have something like just clover, just brassicas, just oats, that can and will all fail to provide any forage once it gets hit by a few hard freezes. Rye and winter wheat keep on growing, and with a bit of urea after a few freezes, they actually can outgrow the deer pressure if your plot is set up right.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
the boy is going to finally get my power line mowed this week. I don't have a tractor and they had the rona

is there anything that I can just throw out in the mowed area that will come up and attract deer?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
the boy is going to finally get my power line mowed this week. I don't have a tractor and they had the rona

is there anything that I can just throw out in the mowed area that will come up and attract deer?
even this late in the season, I'd spray it before planting it. I'd sling a mix of winter wheat and oats and plan to seed at least 200 pounds per acre at this stage or 100 pounds then top seed again at the end of October with another 100 pounds of winter wheat and/or rye grain.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Are you sure the farmer was talking about the seeds?
Honestly don't know, just know he always mentioned Oats the first week of October. Oats would germinate and grow enough for deer to munch on, but they would be so juvenile that they wouldn't survive most winters.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
even this late in the season, I'd spray it before planting it. I'd sling a mix of winter wheat and oats and plan to seed at least 200 pounds per acre at this stage or 100 pounds then top seed again at the end of October with another 100 pounds of winter wheat and/or rye grain.

Thats the ticket!

Spreading wheat/rye after is something alot of people do just to have more new growth thru the hunting season. I may try it this year myself.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thats the ticket!

Spreading wheat/rye after is something alot of people do just to have more new growth thru the hunting season. I may try it this year myself.
If I'm disking or rototilling a plot I won't plant it as thick, maybe 100 pounds an acre total, but throwing seed on top of the ground I'll just about double it, sometimes it's much better to over cast it then to plant it all at once. Deer love oats, especially young ones, but they don't do well after a few hard freezes.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I’d stick with rye grain and wheat. Oats like a little more soil contact. If available I’d run a cultipacker over after I top sew. I did a few fields today this way.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
First week in Oct is the best time for oats in the upper Piedmont for agricultural purposes. About a week later for wheat. For hunting purposes I would generally try to be a bit earlier. Oats are most palatable for deer within the first 60 days, but take a while to get going. you kind of have a sweet spot during the second 30 days. Depending on when you want to create the best hunting benefit, I would use that planning factor.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
If you were to plant oats ,wheat, rye and barley in four adjoining plots deer would more than likely prefer one over the other. But I don't think it really makes a difference . If you have a plot green and growing when the acorns are gone and everything else is brown and dead I think they will come. Plant whatever does the best for you in your area when you want them there. And yes this should be a good time to plant just before a good rain.

Last edited:

timber

Twelve Pointer
I have seen wheat planted end of December and it came up fine. But that late want help much for the deer. Far as farmers usually get the best results if planted to harvest around middle of October till Thanksgiving here. Everybody wants a big green food plot but deer are browsers. Have watched them in wheat and oats they will pick out a young tender weed over either.