Anyone tie their own soft shackles?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Was looking for a way to use my Amsteel tow rope on some of the newer ATV and trucks with limited tow points and come across soft shackles.
Start looking and most were in the 50$ to 80 and some on Amazon in the 20 to 25$ range made in china.
Looked up info and started playing. Already have and use Amsteel Blue and other tech rope so started to tie them.

Come across a improved soft shackle and it uses a knot that is locked and can not roll out.
Tied and tested a few, so far I like them. Depends on where you look they are about 200 to 240% stronger is the claim. Using stuff the size of a shoe lace and rated at 1700 pounds if I recall so the 1/8" shackle is 3000 range working and the 3/16" and 1/4" amsteel shackles are 10,000 plus.

Kind of wild how strong this stuff is. They are cool for about any use to hold attach where you would use a hook or carabiner.
Used them to hang pack from stand no metal on metal using ladder stand.

Anyway kind of cool and fun to tie. Designed to use Amsteel line.
Few pictures. I plan to use these for atv towing and working on stands.
Find it funny there are really no tow points on most the ATV's and if so the are low in the mud or water when needed.
Dont like using metal hooks or steel that can come off and fly at you.

20210224_213558.jpg

Last edited:

maelstrom

Four Pointer
They look nice. Ive heard of these but never tried tying any. Did you follow any specific instructions? What about a fid, did you use one?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They look nice. Ive heard of these but never tried tying any. Did you follow any specific instructions? What about a fid, did you use one?
I have a few fids but found it easier to make my own puller.
It is no more than a bronze welding rod. Fine stiff wire just folded in two then work it to shape the rounded end.
Works great. Smaller rope smaller wire. Just push it in the rope and grab the end and pull back. It clamps the rope and holds it good.
Will get a picture for you.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you google or search youtube you should find several on there for the improved soft shackle.
For my larger ATV shackles using 3/16 or 1/4 I use what I call a 12" section knot.
It is overkill but easier for me to remember and do.
For smaller shackles I have done 6" section and 8 or 10". Just using round numbers and makes it easy.
For the 12" divided section. It defines the bends, loops and start point to pull line.
6' of line.
Mark 12" along the line for the full length. Taper the ends
Bury 12" ends in 12" of the line makeing a loop about 1/4" or one rope thickness on the ends.
Giving a 4' line mark at the center of the line, backing off 1/4" from center and make my pass through long side in short side making a loop in the center and you have one at each end. That is when you tie the overhand knot then pull the center inside the small loops on the tag ends.

If you watch the videos you will see what Im talking about.
My point is if you use a set number for the section it is easy to remember adjust size and measure. Key is that you want your full knot to have double line for each tag.
Your knot will be 4 rope thickness making the knot larger and stronger holding.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The center cross over20210225_092220.jpg

This shows the small tag end loops that locks the knot.

20210225_092247.jpg
This shows the limits of the double line down to the mark. Where the center loop locks on will be around 4 sections of rope
20210225_092336.jpg

maelstrom

Four Pointer
Yep. Done a lot over the years. Always fun kind of like fly tying. Not work just a fun hobby and way to clear the head.

Yep, I love knot tying, its relaxing in its own way and satisfying when you finally get a new knot down pat.

Thanks for the info and directions, I'm definitely going to give this one a try. And that's a great idea for a puller.