Anyone rabbit hunting?

chef

Ten Pointer

interesting article. i wish there were places to do this. i would love to hunt rabbit with someone who runs dogs. they can keep the rabbits if they want.

i fear that large parts of the east are going to go the way texas did.

outdrsmn

Six Pointer
I've been a few times per week since Nov. and tracking has been pretty good.

If you have a place I have the dogs. Going to try and hunt around the rain this weekend.

outdrsmn

Six Pointer

interesting article. i wish there were places to do this. i would love to hunt rabbit with someone who runs dogs. they can keep the rabbits if they want.

i fear that large parts of the east are going to go the way texas did.
I've tried over and over again to open the link for viewing. I'm can't get it to where it's viewable.

Either way, I suspect the article is about the decline of rabbit hunters and such. Well, I'm 47 and don't plan on stopping anytime soon, even though the enjoyment is more about the chase, comradery and time in the field than it is about killing the rabbit.

This past Thanksgiving I was able to take my father (69), son (7) and hunting buddy (86), what a BLAST we had. I think that particular day I ran 7 beagles and they put pressure on ole Peter, to the extent my father complimented the dog work several times. At the end of the day we took a photo that reminded me of how blessed I have been to have shared such great times with my grandfather, father and uncles rabbit hunting many years ago.

Rabbit hunting was and EVENT!!! My grandmother use to gently try and talk me out of not going because it was so cold. It was difficult to have me waiver in most things that I set my mind to and this was know exception. So Granny would pack me up with a couple snacks and two sweet potatoes off of the top of the wood stove. She would tell me to put them in my pockets to keep my hands warm, then I'd run out of the house hearing the makeshift screen door SLAM. Had to move quick or my uncle would leave you.

My Uncle really didn't like having all the guys go because it was too many (7), and all were athletes. Poor rabbit never got to make a turn. Since I was soo young and couldn't keep up, I found myself most times sitting with my grandfather. He didn't do much shooting, instead he always managed to find him a place to sit and smoke his pipe or cigar. I found solace in knowing that he couldn't keep up with the fellas either :)

Kind sir, I'm not going to belabor my point so I'm going to leave you with this. Rabbit hunters are not as popular as before, however; we are still around and welcome you to be a part of our standing tradition.