Anyone play golf ?

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I used to enjoy it. Then I quit playing but still enjoyed going to driving ranges. Nowadays, after one torn rotator cuff repair and soon to be another, I’d tell you every secret ever been told to me if you made me swing a club.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
no

but I did "invent" a game that would resurrect golf courses that have seen better days,,,,

golftrap,,,

see you put shooting stations halfway down the fairway,,,, the golfer hits the ball basically playing golf and the shooter at the shooting station tries to take out the bail,,,
score is kept between golfers and shooters,,,,
loser buys lunch (or beer,,,or coffee,,, whatever),,,

now THAT would get me on a golf course,
I like it...

I worked 10 years as a caddy...My brothers play a little and have wonderful swings. I've always said that if I hit the powerball, I'm buying a failing golf course.

Actually, looking at a few of them on loopnet, that may be achievable with simple diligence and forethought. They seem to sell somewhat cheap. Great deer, turkey and goose hunting. Ponds could be replanted for ducks. And they come with a restaurant and bar.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Funny story... I am a hacker for sure. 15+ years ago we went to play and a guy in the club house wanted to join our twosome, no problem. He was much better than us and liked to give pointers. I was bouncing a ball on my wedge while waiting on the tee box. He told me if I would spend less time bouncing a ball and more time practicing golf maybe I would be better. I replied with maybe if you would shut your damn mouth you wouldn't be in the clubhouse looking for someone to play with... he rode off after that and didn't say anything else. 🤣 😅

That is exactly what that jackass needed to hear.

I can definitely give you all the tips in the world, but I won’t for two reasons.

1. You’re grown. If you want my advice, you’ll ask for it.

2. Even though I know all I need to know to play the game very well, I don’t play it very well so why would I worry about someone else’s game?

Bonus: I have 3 brothers who play and the last thing you want to do is make a suggestion amongst our foursome.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I like it...

I worked 10 years as a caddy...My brothers play a little and have wonderful swings. I've always said that if I hit the powerball, I'm buying a failing golf course.

Actually, looking at a few of them on loopnet, that may be achievable with simple diligence and forethought. They seem to sell somewhat cheap. Great deer, turkey and goose hunting. Ponds could be replanted for ducks. And they come with a restaurant and bar.

I killed many deer and squirrels on my home course. It pays to develop trusting relationships!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
One of my best experiences on a golf course happened near Virginia Beach. My BIL and I went to a semi-private course. The rule was not to bring any outside beer with you. We had loaded up our bags with beer. We got paired with a member of the club. We were really disappointed on the first tee. On the third hole, the guy pulls out a bottle of beer and asked us if we minded. Nope! Not if he also didn't care. A few rounds were drunk on the course and more in the clubhouse afterwards.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

That could take the hunting "clubhouse" to a whole new level.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I like it...

I like the way you think,,,,, may have to talk you into letting me participate in the plan!!

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I used to play a little when I was in high school. Had some buddies that would play a public course most Saturday mornings in the summer. Every time I was on the golf course, though, all I could think was "Man, this would be a great morning to be out in the boat". Fishing and hunting hooked me. Golf did not.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I play occasionally.

Well… play might be a strong word. I ride around in a golf cart drinking beer and cussing whilst I look for a little ball in the woods( or weeds, or basically anywhere except where it’s supposed to be.)

My biggest golf flex is I can tell folks I shot a 69 in 18 holes without lying. I just omit the fact that it was on a Par 3 course.

1ylab

Six Pointer
I played when I was a teenager and in college, then got married, had kids, worked two jobs and didn't have the time or the money. So until last year I hadn't played much in 30 years. Last year we built a house a golf course. So I started playing again. I can walk out the back door and start playing. I love playing in the evening after work and can get in 9 holes this time of year. I walk and have the golf course to myself which I really enjoy. The golf course runs along the Tar River so I get to see alot of wildlife too which is a nice bonus. I suck golf but I don't care. If they would let me deer hunt it, that would be nice. The place covered up in deer.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I used to play a little when I was in high school. Had some buddies that would play a public course most Saturday mornings in the summer. Every time I was on the golf course, though, all I could think was "Man, this would be a great morning to be out in the boat". Fishing and hunting hooked me. Golf did not.

As a younger man fall was always tough. College football, hunting, fishing, and surfing were all at their prime.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I played quite a bit years ago when living in Upstate NY. Golf there was relatively inexpensive and courses were uncrowded. Moved to NC and played less, cost was higher, courses more crowded and further from home. However both places I found excellent deer hunting adjacent to a golf course! I would have sold/donated my golf clubs during our last move but my wife thinks I'm sexy when I go golfing lol.

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
I played when I was a teenager and in college, then got married, had kids, worked two jobs and didn't have the time or the money. So until last year I hadn't played much in 30 years. Last year we built a house a golf course. So I started playing again. I can walk out the back door and start playing. I love playing in the evening after work and can get in 9 holes this time of year. I walk and have the golf course to myself which I really enjoy. The golf course runs along the Tar River so I get to see alot of wildlife too which is a nice bonus. I suck golf but I don't care. If they would let me deer hunt it, that would be nice. The place covered up in deer.

The River?

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
Went out to the range yesterday. Man I certainly don’t hit near as far! Of course I’m 30 years older since I first bought my Ping Eye 2. Any recs on new irons? Can I even get any distance back with new irons? Don’t want to spend a fortune.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Went out to the range yesterday. Man I certainly don’t hit near as far! Of course I’m 30 years older since I first bought my Ping Eye 2. Any recs on new irons? Can I even get any distance back with new irons? Don’t want to spend a fortune.

Your distance clubs are driver and woods/hybrids. Irons minus wedges should be looked at more or less as a preset distance club. However things like a heavier club head or different shaft can increase distance but negligible for the average hacker.

Range balls are notorious for being crappy judges of distance. Before spending the money go buy some premium balls and hit them into a pasture.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
^ Basically your saying regardless of irons or how old they are it will be hard to get more distance with new irons since I’m average hacker? That’s fine. Will save me some money.

As far as woods go, you are saying you can pick up some distance with new technology? I’m using some old Calloway Hawkeyes 1,3,5.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
You can get more distance with newer irons….. keeping in mind that most newer “distance irons” have less loft, so that’s where a lot of the distance will be coming from

In other words, you may hit a newer 7 iron farther than your old 7 iron but if its 2-3 degrees less loft then that’s probably the reason its longer. Not truly apples to apples

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
^ Basically your saying regardless of irons or how old they are it will be hard to get more distance with new irons since I’m average hacker? That’s fine. Will save me some money.

As far as woods go, you are saying you can pick up some distance with new technology? I’m using some old Calloway Hawkeyes 1,3,5.

Reason I say negligible for the average person is lighter irons are more forgiving. Heavier irons require more control and speed. If you don’t make contact in the sweet spot you haven’t made any distance gains.

Find a ball that fits your swing and ability to control. Distance isn’t everything in golf, learn to be a better chipper and putter.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
YMMV..

I only played occasionally for about a 10 year period then started playing regularly about 6 months ago. I noticed that I had lost 5-10 yards on most every club. I bought new set (later replaced the driver and a hybrid) with a regular flex instead of the stiff flex of my older clubs. It took about 2 months to get used to them but I regained most of the yardage that I lost. I play about 9 holes a week.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No..... but I do enjoy walking or cruising a nice golf course. Hilton Head Island has some of the prettiest courses i have ever seen. Pinehurst is okay and Disney World has a nice looking one but Hilton Head is just plain cool. I have seen gators on one end of a sand trap and deer on the other down there with moss hanging down..... Very cool site.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer

I used to worry because I didn't hit my irons as far as every one else did. Then one day I noticed that there isn't any place on the score card to record what club you used!! I never worried about it after that....

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Depends on how old your clubs are and if you are talking max distance or average distance. Todays iron tech. for game improvement can absolutely give you more average distance than say 20 year old irons. (as a rule I change out my irons every 10 years) The consistency across the face and the size of the sweet spot is much better now than in years past.. so the same shot off the toe goes further and also flies straighter than it would off a 20 year old club. Max distance on a 'purred' shot depends on many things.... we all lose some distance with age at some point, if we don't change something in the overall set up.

Best thing I ever did for my game is find a good and patient club fitter. I will never buy another set of clubs off the rack.. my guy starts with the club shaft.. has a device that measures swing speed, lag, tempo etc. and then recommends a range of shafts that match how you swing. Then you proceed to hit those shafts, all with the same head in the simulator and look at the numbers compared to how they feel. (I found that I like a shaft on the heavier end of the range in most cases) Once you have the shaft picked out you start swapping heads in the sim, until you find a combination that feels good and gives you the ball flight, control, and distance you are looking for relative to the other combos. I even tried out different grips (types and sizes)

All that said, a 6 iron today is a bit longer and has a bit less loft than a 6 iron from 20 years ago so if you are going to really compare make sure you are looking at like for like info.