Anyone play golf ?

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Loved the game during the 90’s and up to about 2012. Took customers out a couple times a week. Wasn’t good but wasn’t terrible either. Back surgery and arthritis in my hands and fingers made me give it up. It So I don’t play any more. I miss playing and the camaraderie with friends.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Hmmmm.....Do I "Play Golf"?

I'm not sure that's how to describe it.

I definitely bring clubs and balls to a tee, but after that the "golf" part is kind of secondary. I CURSE....A LOT!!! I kick things, stomp things, throw things, chase balls across greens, shoot most cross fit folks don't get the workout I do in 18 holes!

I grew up in S Florida and for a couple of summers I went to "golf camp". BEST way to keep your young boy away from girls most of the summer!!!! I learned lots of cool stuff, but even in my 30's rarely broke 100 (I count every swing).

I golf now maybe 5 times a year, I'd like to do more than that.

My favorites are the vendor golf days. Riding in a cart, smoking cigars, getting schmoozed by tons of sales folks, and talking friendly trash to your competition right before they line up for a 160 yard par 3. Good times.

Couple of funny golf stories.

I used to hit this cow pasture near Raleigh called Broverfield after every cold front that wasn't a hunting season. Pay 1nce, golf till it's dark. Never played more than 36 in a day. It's very fast paced! I'd end up grouping with others. I learned something about myself that day. On the thrid hole, I introduced myself to the other 3. I said "Hi, my name is ST8, they all said "we know......you talk to yourself everytime you swing, usually it's OH YOU IDIOT ST8!!! but sometimes that's how you do it ST8!".

My best friend and his 2 sons for years have put in at a rivers beginning, and canoed/kayaked it to a place 4 days away for many many years. One night they tied off, set up camp, had a great evening and dinner, and went to bed. My buddy had just woken up, stepped out to pee, finished, and heard a shotgun go off in the distance. He scrambled the boys awake, afraid he was on a farmers pasture. 30 seconds later a golf ball rolled past his toes. He said "Boys!!! We have to go NOW!!!" He swears to this day that sand traps are the best places to set up camp!

Last edited:

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I am kind of a fledgling golfer compared to T, who played for Meredith when she was in college. I love to be outside and we have met some nice couples playing golf.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love it. I worked in the industry from 2003-2015
Hit balls and played often enough. I really like playing. Still play a hand full of times a year. With two young boys and a list of hobby’s it’s not first on my list of things to do anymore.
I will be Kiler’s caddy in August….. if Jeff don’t get in the way!!

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I am kind of a fledgling golfer compared to T, who played for Meredith when she was in college. I love to be outside and we have met some nice couples playing golf.
Makes sense…it being a women’s game and all:ninja:

I like golf so much, I waited until they shut the course down before I moved to the country club😂😂😂

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Before kids and baseball, soccer. Dance stuff…. Played usually 2 rounds a week…. Old and fat now and have lost flexibility…. No practice…. One trip a year with 6-8 fine fellows that carry me around the course, let me hack away and putt…. Maybe when I retire I can get skinnier and flexible but I ain’t counting on it! It’s a great game!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
was in a sporting goods (???) store with my Wife,,,,, looking soccer shoes or some such,,,, picked up a golf club,, held it like I was lining up a swing and said " I may have to take up golf",,,,,

she said "you have enough dang hobbies!",,,,,,,,,,

wonder what she meant??????

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tomorrow looks about as good as it gets for golf in the NC summer..83 and low humidity just north of Raleigh.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
was in a sporting goods (???) store with my Wife,,,,, looking soccer shoes or some such,,,, picked up a golf club,, held it like I was lining up a swing and said " I may have to take up golf",,,,,

she said "you have enough dang hobbies!",,,,,,,,,,

wonder what she meant??????

She meant you weren't mentally prepared to do something in your mind that was "perfect" and the object you launched went 60 yards in another directions. Thank God Space X doesn't have this acceptance of failure before launch. I don't think you would either. I can't find one video of Elon Gofling.