Anyone planting milo or grain sorghum

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Planted almost an acre of milo and chufa today and I am gonna plant another acre plot of milo in 2 weeks. The deer seem to love it as soon as the seed heads form. Can't grow soybeans or peas anymore cause the deer mow them down before they reach 6 inches.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I planted several strips of sorghum along with soybeans and black oil sunflowers,with all the rain and heat it is growing like crazy I’m hoping it will help offset the pressure on the soybeans and some will make it

Reactions: jug

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I dont have large enough spaces to plant Milo, but the times the farmer has the deer loved it.
Only problem was they could wipe out a field quickly. Still seen them in it daily though even when they had ate all the seed heads.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Planted 2.5 acres of sorghum last summer about this time. By Nov 1 it was about gone. I am going to wait a few more weeks to plant it this year.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Wild game food sorghum is good stuff easy to grow

Never seen deer eat broom corn sorghum but it gets too tall

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
Planted a total of about 1 1/2 acres in 3 different plots at the club last year. One got mowed down before I could get the bush hog happy driver to stop (he swore it was Johnsongrass….)

The deer never touched the other two plots, but the bears sure did. Caught one nice boar walking along the rows, just before archery season, eating the heads almost like cotton candy