Anyone here reload subsonic for suppressed straight wall cartridges?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I'm researching it for a 450 Bushmaster and 395 Hornady .452 Sub X bullets. Contacted Hornady and got the run around, but they did recommend Trail Boss as a good place to start. I've seen a decent amount of info with LIL Gun, CFE Black, A5744, N120, H4198 and H4895, but some of those powders and case fill ratio's are kinda scary. :eek: I'd like to have adequate case fill and corresponding burn rate to keep things under 1050fps, and preferably around 1025fps. Have any of you reloaders played around with sub sonic and straight walled cartridges?

My gut says to try Trail Boss at the minimum load charge and work a reverse ladder until I get under 1050. All the while watching carefully for squibs. I've got a bolt action to play so I won't have to deal with the gas pressure issues commonly found on the jamamatics.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
That pulls up perfectly on my laptop, but most of my research has been on the phone at night and it didn't come up that way when I looked at the exact same page. Thanks. My barrel is a 1:16 twist and 20" so it will likely not meet those speeds. But that's a good place to start. Thanks.

Any reloading tips or advise on straight wall cartridges? Anything different than bottle neck cartridges?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
After seeing/hearing from a close friend how the Hornady factory subsonic .450BM did on deer last fall I'd recommend a wide flat nose bullet to use suppressed. No expansion, no pass thru and long blood trails is what happened on all the deer he shot with that bullet. All shots were 20-70 yards. Rifle used was a Ruger American Ranch with a 46 Hybrid can.

<>< Fish.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
After seeing/hearing from a close friend how the Hornady factory subsonic .450BM did on deer last fall I'd recommend a wide flat nose bullet to use suppressed. No expansion, no pass thru and long blood trails is what happened on all the deer he shot with that bullet. All shots were 20-70 yards. Rifle used was a Ruger American Ranch with a 46 Hybrid can.

<>< Fish.
Thanks for the post. If I ever get around to using it for trophy deer, it will be with supersonic ammunition. I'm mainly planning the subsonic for hogs and maybe deer depredation in a couple areas a farmer has asked me about.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I shot some Hornady "Deer Season" the other day with the 250gr bullets and the recoil reminded me of a 3 pellet muzzle loader charge, even with a muzzle brake. :ROFLMAO: Durn thing kicks. LOL...

I had read to sight it in 2" high at 100 and it would be a little low at 200. That was true for me, albeit a thermal scope in the mid day sun.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I shot some Hornady "Deer Season" the other day with the 250gr bullets and the recoil reminded me of a 3 pellet muzzle loader charge, even with a muzzle brake. :ROFLMAO: Durn thing kicks. LOL...

I had read to sight it in 2" high at 100 and it would be a little low at 200. That was true for me, albeit a thermal scope in the mid day sun.

What rifle?

I sighted mine in dead on at 100 yards then shot it at 200 yards to see the drop. With my 16" barrel the Hornady 250gr Blacks were hitting 4" low at 200. It does have a decent amount of recoil but my R45 can should help with that when it gets out of jail.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll preface by saying g this is with a 300 blkout.

I’ve shot a bunch of deer with Hornady sub x’s. They are accurate and I’m yet to not have one pass clean through a deer and I really like them…….. But……….i also hunt where I can see a couple hundred yards in all directions and I can say for certain, there’s been several that if I hadn’t seen them fall or been in thick terrain, it’d been tough trying to find the deer. Zero blood trails whatsoever. Over the past three years, I’m up to 17 or 18 deer with them. 4 have dropped in their tracks (neck shots) but the rest have all ran from 20-100 yards. I can honestly say I have never saw a blood trail from any.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There's truth behind the old saying speed kills. In 45/70 I quickly went away from 405 gr bullets at 1300 fps and started loading 300 gr bullets at 2100 fps for deer. Yes the heavy slow bullet kills and gives a good blood trail but the fast bullet knocks them off their feet.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There's truth behind the old saying speed kills. In 45/70 I quickly went away from 405 gr bullets at 1300 fps and started loading 300 gr bullets at 2100 fps for deer. Yes the heavy slow bullet kills and gives a good blood trail but the fast bullet knocks them off their feet.
I've not used the 405 grs on deer yet, but the Old Man has. He's killed three with them out of his Shiloh Sharps. None have taken a step, he's pushing his about 1550 fps.

chrome'd.45

Button Buck
45/70 missouri lead cast 405fp at 1025 fps knock them over 100 yd and in. great results. good blood trail, no meat loss how higher vel rounds bloodshot. looks like a surgeon cut the entry and exit holes. quiet as well.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Being a straight wall cartridge you should be able to use 45 colt load data for a starting point. I would stick with faster burning powder like unique or a very forgiving powder like 4227 or 5744. Stay away from 296 and h110 these powders do not download well but most other 45 colt load data should work if you use a case filler like dacron or cream of wheat to keep powder next to primer to prevent flashover. If you have a chronograph you can work up from a starting load of 9 grains unique or even a slower powder like 4227 starting with 19 grains. Another option would be to have quickload software and set 1050 fps parameter with your case volume and match safe chamber pressure with a suitable powder charge and bullet weight combo. 450 bushmaster is newer than most cartridges so you may not find much cast bullet data but research older straight wall cartridges of 45 caliber with similar case volume for cast bullet data and most will be using powder combinations for lower velocity especially plain based bullets than run on pressures lower than 20k

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I shot a little bit this weekend. 20" barrel 1-16 twist. The Winchester Deer season 245's shot ok and were 2100 fps. The Hornady Sub X 395 grain ammo shot a little worse, but good enough to get the job done and were 980fps. I was kinda surprised at the noise of them even though I had my Hybrid 46 on it. I expected it to be much quieter.

I'm going to do more research and try a few different combinations to see if I can get a little better accuracy and super sonic performance out of the cartridge.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
The 300 grain hornady mag xtp, the one that the jacket wraps around the nose of the hollow point would be unstoppable at 1800 plus fps. Going from 250 grains bullet weight to 300 almost doubles the energy downrange at 45 colt velocities so I imagine it's similar at higher speeds

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer

I have a Ruger bolt gun in 450 BM. Been thinking about looking into subsonic but I shoot the Federal 300 grain Power Shok. Its got recoil but its bad medicine on deer. Its a shooter too at 100, if I do my job, itll shoot touching bullet holes consistently. That keeps me from digging into subsonic but I do look forward to your updates.