Anybody wanna go in on this with me?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Point me to it!!!

If you’re telling me I can get 1500 acres for $500k I’ll buy it. Don’t care if it is reclaimed strip mine. Those places are gold mines for wildlife.
I'm out state at moment but when I get home I'll send it to you. At least I think I looked at it right its my home area I'm always poking around at land back home. It's not at all unusual find land couple or 3 thousandish an acre the large tracts between 1000-2000 acre in that area and some SW VA and east Ky. My uncle just bought nice brick home 3 bdrm with 3 acres relatively flat land for just under hundred grand less 5 minutes from 4 lane hwy 19. Plenty deals in those areas that would cost fortune down here in NC. Another way get the reclaimed coal land is when mining companies unload some I've got several relatives that live on these properties got them for sweet deals and you are correct they got wildlife.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Point me to it!!!

If you’re telling me I can get 1500 acres for $500k I’ll buy it. Don’t care if it is reclaimed strip mine. Those places are gold mines for wildlife.
Ok got minute while lady folks taking care store business 😉 it's in nortfork have it listed on land watch maybe others as well. That area has some reclaimed mine not sure on age of it now and lots bears, turkey is only okay numbers but not super great as far as deer I really don't know never fooled with em but I know people tell me like in SW VA their numbers are up. They also have 69acre tract for 99,000 and id bet with lityle haggle could do little cheaper

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ok got minute while lady folks taking care store business 😉 it's in nortfork have it listed on land watch maybe others as well. That area has some reclaimed mine not sure on age of it now and lots bears, turkey is only okay numbers but not super great as far as deer I really don't know never fooled with em but I know people tell me like in SW VA their numbers are up. They also have 69acre tract for 99,000 and id bet with lityle haggle could do little cheaper
Deer numbers are on the rise around here.
Tazewell, Russell, Smith, Dickinson, Buchanan area especially

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Jump right across the line in Mercer county.
700 something acres sat on the market for almost a year at $369K. Finally sold when they dropped the price to $290K.
Yup plenty good deals be had if you got the cash there is still tons undeveloped huge tracts back there same in VA and Ky. heck no jobs hardly it's areas where instead getting built up population has plummeted and everything decaying

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Deer numbers are on the rise around here.
Tazewell, Russell, Smith, Dickinson, Buchanan area especially
No doubt growing up there was no kind deer season in Dickson or Buchanan of any kind. last wknd I sat and watched 7 feed in Dad's yard clover off and on through day. Really as much as strip mines the gas well company has helped lots timber sold off. Of course with deer come posted signs see several now never ever seen any before them things started popping up😁

Wv67

Ten Pointer
The majority of the bow only counties , you can hunt , there is a lot of open land and some leases to get on that price is to high all day long , they are after out of state money that’s all

Reactions: jug

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The majority of the bow only counties , you can hunt , there is a lot of open land and some leases to get on that price is to high all day long , they are after out of state money that’s all
Some nice clubs/leases up there just gotta find right fit like anywhere else. if turkey numbers were higher I'd be up there in spring not sure why McDowell is low rest of 3 has actually been stable not declined like others areas state.

Reactions: jug
I assure you, I have ZERO interest in that place.

It’s over priced IMO.

A larger property, with a nicer house, and mineral rights included sold for just a little more than half the asking price of this property last year. Same general area of the county.
Is pocahontas land selling out these days, or is this private property?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I see why it’s so cheap😉

Wv67

Ten Pointer
Some nice clubs/leases up there just gotta find right fit like anywhere else. if turkey numbers were higher I'd be up there in spring not sure why McDowell is low rest of 3 has actually been stable not declined like others areas state.
Turkey numbers are low there , you are correct , Wyoming county isn’t much better , I hunt mainly Fayette and Summers

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Has to be something going on with it that cheap. I looked into purchasing around 100 acres just off of the parkway last year. Wanted to flip it but cost of building roads, power, septic, etc. is much more expensive in the mountains.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
There was a similar place like that up here on the VA side that I found out about after I had bought this place. Was listed as 1000+ ac. that sold for a little over $100K. Ten guys from the Triangle area bought it at 10K each for a hunting club. The old house was just that but it had been renovated inside. Tax value on the place is $1.3 mil. now. Guys set up an LLC and if someone wants out they can sell their share.
Dang a 1000 acres for 100k! I've never heard of land going that cheap before.
If you hear of something like that again let me know......lol
Those folks got a steal

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I guess you didn't know that I bought my place up here 25 years ago and it was the same time. I had just paid $80K for my 200 ac and was tickled to death when stuff in Franklin Co. was selling for $2k/ac. I found out about that other place couple of months later. Guess I should have taken out a loan but I don't like owing anyone.

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
The deer didn't look very big in the trail cam pics. Just sayin, that's alot of money to hunt small deer.

Has to be something going on with it that cheap. I looked into purchasing around 100 acres just off of the parkway last year. Wanted to flip it but cost of building roads, power, septic, etc. is much more expensive in the mountains.
It's in the middle of no where. Closest towns are Tazewell and Welch, and there's nothing left in Welch.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Land prices here in NC need to go down. I was amazed at the amount of Real Estate agents that were at the Dixie Deer Classic. Most of them were looking for listings. They are at the farm shows as well. Ask a farmer how many calls he gets from different relators every week. It has gotten to the point now where most North Carolinians can not afford to purchase land. Family farms that have been held for generations are being sold left and right. When I go to the local grill, I see people that I have never meet that purchased hobby farms. A guy from Oregon just purchased 300 acres here. We are going to loose an entire culture Down East. In many counties now there is just a small remnant of family farms.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
It’s cheap, per acre.
Actually it's high per acre for the area totally different world there than here in real estate terms last land I got just across line from there in dryfork only ran 675 acre I'm sure its went up bit but not that much the area populatoon has nose dived for quite while now. Like mentioned above can still buy 3 bedroom brick house with few acres for under hundred grand. Quick access to good rd makes difference plenty spots there your hour from any kind 4 lane rd.