Anybody use SimpliSafe? Or any mail order home security?

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What are your thoughts on new-school home security vs the guys from 20-30 years ago?

Likes and dislikes? I've never had a wired/wireless home security system. Looking for one, but I'd rather install myself. Not too keen on strangers traipsing about my house.

pickle

Eight Pointer
I have SimpliSafe and love it. Easy to install, inexpensive, NO contract is what I love best. And when you trip the alarm they are calling in seconds.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I have two SimpliSafe systems (one at duck camp) and I have had no problems. I just wish they would have an extended range (say 100 yards or so) so I could rig up my out-buildings. That would be sweet.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have two SimpliSafe systems (one at duck camp) and I have had no problems. I just wish they would have an extended range (say 100 yards or so) so I could rig up my out-buildings. That would be sweet.

You’ll have to step up to an higher end system to get that range-I would just have it installed if you want it monitored.. 2 different brands of wireless that will have that range: Honeywell Outdoor contacts: 300ft.. and DSC Power G: 3/4 mile open air..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What are your thoughts on new-school home security vs the guys from 20-30 years ago?

Likes and dislikes? I've never had a wired/wireless home security system. Looking for one, but I'd rather install myself. Not too keen on strangers traipsing about my house.

I’ve seen the cost comparison, they are not saving you any money in the long run,once you start adding options. Last I looked at Simplisafe, the equipment they were selling was like 10 years old.

I would also advise anyone that’s looking at installing your own, do some research on tips & device placement. There’s a bit more to it than just slapping devices up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I have the old Simplisafe system and they now offer a newer upgraded system. But they still support the older one. I built a new home so I removed the old system, cancelled the monitoring, and now reinstalled the system back in the new home. Along with all of the doors and windows I have one motion detector covering my safe plus a broken glass detector covering the sliding glass door. I hope it never has to do its job. About as close as I can figure it out is that it is a cellphone and it calls out when the system is triggered. It has a battery backup in case of power failure. The system does an automated routine check every month to make sure everything is working ok. You buy the system and monitoring is $15 a month.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
I have had SimpliSafe for 2 years. I love the system and their response time is unbelievable. As mentioned, this system uses a cell phone. When you order be sure to request the cell phone company that has the best coverage in your area. My first base unit was equipped with T-Mobile and the unit did not work. Called tech support and got the cell service changed to Verizon(they overnited the new card) and have had zero problems. I use the upgraded monitoring package so that I can control the system through my cell phone.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Have had a basic SimpliSafe wireless home protection package in my home for nearly 6 years with no problems. Very affordable option for no-frills home security. I would buy from them again.

samuelrp

Eight Pointer
If you want police dispatch, a local alarm company may be the best value based on the first three years cost. Professional advice can be helpful. Set the alarm using a key fob to instant, eliminating a delay on any door. These new cellular communicators work in seconds.

DozerD

Six Pointer
Anyone here use the ring system? My wife and I were discussing the pros and cons to ring and simply safe last night. Going to be installing one or the other in a few weeks

Hines

Spike
Also consider a BlinkXT2 camera. You operate them via an app on your phone. Great battery life and triggers with movement. It will notify your cell and you can watch video and even 2 way talk through the app. Not a true security system, but it definitely fills gaps.

haulinbass

Four Pointer
Is there a system that doesn't use the listening devices like Alexa, Dot or similar. Im not sure I like the idea of those things...

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Anyone here use the ring system? My wife and I were discussing the pros and cons to ring and simply safe last night. Going to be installing one or the other in a few weeks

I don’t have the ring system but I do have the ring doorbell and simpli safe security. But much negative to say about either. Just make sure your SS home base is hidden so if someone breaks in they cannot find it and unplug it before it goes off ( I set my delay to 30 seconds) that is the only potential negative to me.

And for those that say equipment is too costly. I got brandnew system off ebay for 50% of retail. It has worked fine for the last year- no issues so far. I know eBay is a risk but it paid off for me I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What one was in the news the other day Ring or SS?

Just got part of it, sounded like they make video available to LEO when requested.
In other words if your system is on it is recording and they are watching you...

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Make sure you have a camera on the outside cable box. Thieves just cut the cable line and phone line now and that disables most security systems. I don't have a security system but I have a gate and Blink XT2 cameras. I got them for a 50% discount on prime day.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have had SS for many years. Love the system. Cut phone lines or cable lines will not affect system. It is all cellular.

Our carbon monoxide detector was having issues after a few years. Replaced it free with no problem. There customer service is excellent!

Battery life is good too.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Bad guys know that in the time it takes for a monitoring company to call you, dispatch the cops, and have the cops on site, they will have 5-10 minutes in your house, minimum. It takes a lot less than that to empty the jewelry box into your pillowcases, get the medicine out of your bathroom, look in the night stand and under the master bed for the guns, and grab the dining room silver on the way out. They will be gone long before the cops arrive and all you have are the pics of people stealing your stuff that will give your wife and kids nightmares.

Everyone jumps to the cameras and monitoring first. But your priority should not be taking his picture once he's in your home. Your first priority should be keeping him out of your home.

All the old fashioned stuff is less fun than a fancy camera system, but it should be what you tackle first: trim your bushes, add outdoor lights, put some indoor lights on a timer, reinforce your doors and windows. I added opaque film to my garage windows so you can't tell if a car is in the garage or not. And exercise operational security, "opsec" as we said in the Navy: i.e., don't post your vacation pics on social media until you are back home, don't tell people you don't know well (like your kids' team mate parents) that you're not going to be home on a specific day, don't brag about your $3000 gaming system.

Click here for some hardware for reinforcing your doors.
Click here to see how to harden your windows.