Anybody make their own mouth calls?

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Admittedly, I am not very good with a mouth call. Can I get it done and get birds on the ground with one. Yep, I’ve watched a lot of them die over the years to my raspy clucks, yelps, and cuts. But, I’ve never found a call that I can run “clear” and that I’m happy with even though I know what I have works. With the price of calls these days being insanely expensive, I have a hard time throwing out $10-14 each to either get a so so or an awful sound. When I find one that I like, I usually go back for a couple more only to get one that sounds aweful.

That brings me to the rabbit hole of making your own for what looks like a buck or two each once the jig is paid for…So, who makes their own? And for those of you who do, what jig are you using? It looks like the “Lil’ Jiggy” was the go to for years but I don’t see that those are still available. I found the attached one but it just looks cheap. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 430926E3-2673-4EB9-9FA9-24BE60351DCF.png
    430926E3-2673-4EB9-9FA9-24BE60351DCF.png
    381.6 KB · Views: 24

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I’ve never made any but check some places like brookside for supplies etc. I’ve gotten right many pieces of slate etc from them.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
A little bit more Google investigating this morning and I wound up finding Ricky Joe on FB. Sent him a message and an hour later I had an invoice for a Lil Jig and som extra supplies. $89 later and I’ll have a jig and enough supplies to make 40 calls. I’d say that’s worth he investment. I just hope that they turn out good enough to play.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I do...
Been doing it for a couple years now.
It was rough starting out a few years ago during the bad tape days and then the whole covid thing. Quality supplies were hard to come by for a time, but it has straightened itself out now.

I buy my tape and frames from Pioneer and I get my latex and proph from a call company here in NC.

Its such a unique thing, a very personal thing. I have calls that I like to build and run for me that another person may have zero success with. I know how my palate is structured and what cuts work best, but that same call may be the absolute worst fit for you. I have made a few and given them away to friends, and a few have killed with them but I still get stage fright when someone tries one I made for them 😬

Ive thrown a bunch in the trash and a couple have made the cut to be hunted with. 😉

I got into it mainly because my favorite guy has trouble deciding when he is or isnt going to build any, so I just started out trying to copy my favorite call from him and it works for me. But I do it all now, I try any and every thing imaginable...

If people truly understood how hard it is to make them at a consistent level they would understand why its such a crap shoot to just walk in a store and buy one and hope it works for them.
I can make 10 calls exactly the same way, same latex, with the same stretch, same cuts and all 10 will have subtle varieties to them and 7 may hit the trash can. Adding color to latex greatly affects the product, and 10 pieces all from the same lot will have some amount of variance to them.

I love building mouth calls. The call itself is very easy to do, making the different cuts takes a while to properly learn. SHARP scissors are your best friend, and do not tape up the call before making the cuts to save on wasting product.
Tighter stretch on heavier backing latex with minimal cuts on the top reed is where the cleanest sound will come from. Preferred back tension stretch is a whole 'nother personal can of worms to open.

I bough a used hand jig from a buddy that was made by Thad at Feather River, great jig !!
Never have tried any others....

Packfan

Eight Pointer
I do...
Been doing it for a couple years now.
It was rough starting out a few years ago during the bad tape days and then the whole covid thing. Quality supplies were hard to come by for a time, but it has straightened itself out now.

I buy my tape and frames from Pioneer and I get my latex and proph from a call company here in NC.

Its such a unique thing, a very personal thing. I have calls that I like to build and run for me that another person may have zero success with. I know how my palate is structured and what cuts work best, but that same call may be the absolute worst fit for you. I have made a few and given them away to friends, and a few have killed with them but I still get stage fright when someone tries one I made for them 😬

Ive thrown a bunch in the trash and a couple have made the cut to be hunted with. 😉

I got into it mainly because my favorite guy has trouble deciding when he is or isnt going to build any, so I just started out trying to copy my favorite call from him and it works for me. But I do it all now, I try any and every thing imaginable...

If people truly understood how hard it is to make them at a consistent level they would understand why its such a crap shoot to just walk in a store and buy one and hope it works for them.
I can make 10 calls exactly the same way, same latex, with the same stretch, same cuts and all 10 will have subtle varieties to them and 7 may hit the trash can. Adding color to latex greatly affects the product, and 10 pieces all from the same lot will have some amount of variance to them.

I love building mouth calls. The call itself is very easy to do, making the different cuts takes a while to properly learn. SHARP scissors are your best friend, and do not tape up the call before making the cuts to save on wasting product.
Tighter stretch on heavier backing latex with minimal cuts on the top reed is where the cleanest sound will come from. Preferred back tension stretch is a whole 'nother personal can of worms to open.

I bough a used hand jig from a buddy that was made by Thad at Feather River, great jig !!
Never have tried any others....
Thanks for the info buddy. I’m headed down the hole. I figure I can throw away 34 of the first 40 that I’m going to try to make and break even on 6 bought off of the shelf that more than likely I couldn’t make play anyway.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for the info buddy. I’m headed down the hole. I figure I can throw away 34 of the first 40 that I’m going to try to make and break even on 6 bought off of the shelf that more than likely I couldn’t make play anyway.
yep, you will more than break even I would imagine....
Every one should watch them being made one time and you'll kick yourself for walking into a store and paying $14 for one. Biggest rip-off in the world IMHO.

Hope you have much success and Im sure you'll make some that you like 👍🏼

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I have made a couple by taking an old worn out call opening them up and putting a strip of latex from a glove in place and a piece of duct tape around it . Not the best sounding call but good enough to make a cluck or two to call in a tom on the right day. But seriously with tss shells over $ 10.00 each and gas over 3 bucks a gallon I don't fell too bad buying a couple of factory made calls a year .

Last edited:

Packfan

Eight Pointer
The kit was in the mail this afternoon. I screwed up attempt 1. Attempt 2 plays as good as any off of the slept call. It’s going to be fun trying some different cuts to see which one likes my sorry voice the best.