Anybody hunt for arrowheads?

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've got a few hundred found in the 80s & 90s mostly. No pics on this computer, but I'll add some when I get to the desktop.

Jim

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
That's a nice one. I rarely find a whole point around here after all the farming and tilling that has been done over the years. I do see a lot of chips and flakes after a good rain in the garden. Found a piece that has a chipped edge and a groove cut in it like some kind of cutting tool. Almost stained like it has been used for skinning animals and fits a right handed person for cutting. 16870044875511920603872297841842.jpg16870045687093681790204389608026.jpg

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I've been lucky with surface finds at this site. I'm building a soil sifter tonight. I may get lucky again. The site has produced other fluted points and one small quartz fluted Clovis.

<>< Fish
I wanna see more fluted points 👀

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I wanna see more fluted points 👀
Center white flint is fluted. I believe to be a Dalton point and not Clovis. The bottom left is fluted and the type looks to be Caraway. All of these came from the same site, 1/4 patch above a creek in Montgomery county.

<>< Fish

R3uSYcy.jpg

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I believe you’re right about the Dalton. Im not familiar enough with a caraway other than to know I don’t THINK they were fluted in a traditional ‘flute’ sense. Just basal thinning flakes and maybe some grinding, iirc.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I remember my daughter handed me one years ago after she was out in the woods a while.

Took it to work and a guy there who supposedly knows these things gave me some long winded name for it.

Took it home and handed it to my daughter and relayed what the guy told me.

She looked at me all confused and said, "Dad, I made that when I was sitting in your tree stand relaxing."

Deerjager

Old Mossy Horns
I have one found in a plowed field near my gun club. I was metal detecting a suspected site of being the location of Fort McFadden here in Rutherford County.

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
@FishHunt you have one heck of a spot if you're finding multiple fluted points as surface finds, I've been really into it since we started tilling and putting in dove plots about 4 years ago. I have one broken midsection of a fluted point... what you've got there is really special. If you're that into it as a hobby you ought to consider doing a dig.

Place tarps for however many yards you want, dig a 2-3-whatever foot deep trench for however many yards and set all the dirt on the tarps, shovel into sifter and let rain naturally clean the dirt off the stuff sitting on tarps. With a spot like that there's no telling what you might find once you get below the plow line

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
@FishHunt you have one heck of a spot if you're finding multiple fluted points as surface finds, I've been really into it since we started tilling and putting in dove plots about 4 years ago. I have one broken midsection of a fluted point... what you've got there is really special. If you're that into it as a hobby you ought to consider doing a dig.

Place tarps for however many yards you want, dig a 2-3-whatever foot deep trench for however many yards and set all the dirt on the tarps, shovel into sifter and let rain naturally clean the dirt off the stuff sitting on tarps. With a spot like that there's no telling what you might find once you get below the plow line

I've helped with a dig on Barnes creek close to the Uwharrie river before. It turned up some pottery, points and a a spot where a fire had to be kept for a long time due to all the charcoal present in one spot. I have not dug at the current spot on a different creek.

<>< Fish

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is the best looking one Ive ever been around when it was found. Not mine. It was a guy 5’ away. We were working and he bent over and said check this out.

Super frail looking and pretty thin. No clue what it is or how old. Harnett county.

Attachments

• 99A29E00-2F63-421B-B1D7-45F0818F28AC.jpeg
    99A29E00-2F63-421B-B1D7-45F0818F28AC.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 44