Anybody got any info on this call?

gobbler

Eight Pointer
This belonged to my great uncle, born in 1890 and died in 1973, as far as I know he was always a nc resident, he was gone before I was ever born but I did know his wife my great aunt and heard stories of him but never heard one of him turkey hunting, I’m gonna do my best to try and get another ol bird with his call, as you can see it has a crack in the cedar sided lip, I’d love to know the story behind the crack, it was carefully put up by my great aunt wrapped in several layers of paper towel and labeled “turkey caller”, only to be rediscovered recently.

if anybody has any info about the maker or time frame or anything I’d love to hear it, it may have been homemade but my dad doesn’t think so7BC015CF-99DC-4220-B7FE-9E4261EF9028.jpeg2C958EDF-B4DD-4067-9926-F1EE5262CB0D.jpeg

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Looks to be an old scratch call, never seen one like it but I like the shape. Should not be too hard to duplicate or a little glue may bring it back to life. Is the bottom walnut with eastern red cedar sides and top ? Or is it all cedar . How long is it point to point? Anyways very cool.

Last edited:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Could you send picture of bottom? The black piece in picture...is it part of call? What material is bottom made of? Looks to have been taken good care of. I have a box call that was cracked on side and carefully glued back together and works perfectly as new...crack gives it character if sound all right.....oh, if it could talk....probably 100 years old...never seen one shaped like that...I would give you top dollar if ever for sale.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Those pics are of every side of the call, it has a lip on either side opposite the other, that black piece is a piece of slate that is the “striker”

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Crc thanks for the link it looks very similar to that Titus Stewart Critcher

mine though is double sided and is pinned not glued, probably a early version there is no writing on my call

I really appreciate the lead

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
That's a nice find. Good Luck getting a bird using it.
I was gifted a homemade scratch box that is old and has a slate striker but is too fragile for me to risk ruining by actually using it.
I love the shape and size of yours; very unique.