Any runners here ?

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My cycle was 12s on weekends.
12, then 14, the 12, then 16, then 12, and so on to 30 two Weekends before a marathon.
You can do the same thing for a half, just half it and add some intervals into your light day instead of doing weights.

Just a few more days from turning 58, today let me know real quick like - I ain't no young whipper snapper anymore 😁

Today's milestone was 12 miles on the OMV (over mountain victory trail) from the Ranger Station to Bandits Roost and back. Mile 1-6 were awesome, felt like SPARTACUS. Mile 6-9 started sucking really bad. Hips, thighs, calves and knees started locking up. Mile 9-12 just really sucked, and became a quest just to finish. 😁

From here on out till our half iron in Georgia, every Sunday I plan on doing 12, no more.

Today was a shuffle, hopefully by the end of August it'll be easily runable at a good pace.

Sucks getting old. Lol

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Just a few more days from turning 58, today let me know real quick like - I ain't no young whipper snapper anymore 😁

Today's milestone was 12 miles on the OMV (over mountain victory trail) from the Ranger Station to Bandits Roost and back. Mile 1-6 were awesome, felt like SPARTACUS. Mile 6-9 started sucking really bad. Hips, thighs, calves and knees started locking up. Mile 9-12 just really sucked, and became a quest just to finish. 😁

From here on out till our half iron in Georgia, every Sunday I plan on doing 12, no more.

Today was a shuffle, hopefully by the end of August it'll be easily runable at a good pace.

Sucks getting old. Lol

I really need to get back in the Game.
A few years ago, when i was training for my first marathon, Cannonball Run in Greensboro, NC. I training mostly on the Catawba River Greenway in Morganton. I had to get creative when my mileage got above 10 there. I was up around Western Carolina University, visiting some family, I only got a 12 miler in Running around campus, on a mountain bike trail across from the school and running on hwy 107 south till the highway went from 4 lane to 2. Then I did the Virginia Creeper Trail. That was pretty cool. I just got dropped off at the top (my wife biked down with my support items)and ran back to town. I only fell once, leaves concealed a rock as i was low riding, skinned up the side of my knee pretty good. My wife said it looked like i fell on purpose, doing a roll and coming back up on my feet. I told her it was my military and Airborne training kicking in.
I also did a couple trips up Hibriten Mountain, after work. not a lot of miles up and back, but damn steep and those big stones they put on the road .
I never considered the OMV road for a run as i have fished Wilson creak a bunch.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I am getting back into running. I have been hitting up the trails here at a local park. I’m up to 5 miles. I am thinking of working my way up to half marathon distance. I don’t know yet.

Honestly, I’m just really worried I am going to get fat and out of shape with my new job. It’s much more desk work. So I am pushing myself to try new things.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I am getting back into running. I have been hitting up the trails here at a local park. I’m up to 5 miles. I am thinking of working my way up to half marathon distance. I don’t know yet.

Honestly, I’m just really worried I am going to get fat and out of shape with my new job. It’s much more desk work. So I am pushing myself to try new things.
I’ve ran 80+ miles a week for a while.
I have buddies that do it still.

you don’t need that unless you are competing.
if you want maintenance and tone, you need to ride a mountain bike.
It works you from the toe to the crown

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer

If you ride good routes and push your legs

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer

When you’re running that much how often do you go through a pair of shoes?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
When you’re running that much how often do you go through a pair of shoes?
1250-1750 depending on terrain and pavement use. Concrete and pavement kill shoes. Never wear your hunting boots to town. Only put them on when you hit the trail
my chacos take about 2000 before a retread.
I buy a couple pairs of stuff that wears good.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
1250-1750 depending on terrain and pavement use. Concrete and pavement kill shoes. Never wear your hunting boots to town. Only put them on when you hit the trail
my chacos take about 2000 before a retread.
I buy a couple pairs of stuff that wears good.
But that also included random introduction to new pairs as break in runs on light days

never use new shoes on a long run.Use new stuff on a maintenance run so they don’t eff your feet

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
But that also included random introduction to new pairs as break in runs on light days

never use new shoes on a long run.Use new stuff on a maintenance run so they don’t eff your feet
Always have 3 pairs of “runners” ready to go to keep your feet hard.
I like chacos. They keep my feet dry and healthy and hard.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Always have 3 pairs of “runners” ready to go to keep your feet hard.
I like chacos. They keep my feet dry and healthy and hard.
Also Always have two pairs of hunting boots in rotation so when one springs a leak you aren’t gimped the next day you need to hunt.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
300-500 miles on shoe changes is pretty typical, depending on how rough you are. A mile of street running is a lot different compared to Fell running for a mile.

Yea. I ran XC in high school, too. Then, a mix of trails and pavement in the Marine Corps.

On the latter, I went through shoes about every 5-6 months.

Crazy. I grew up running trails. Ran XC in high school. Track spikes for the 110 hurdles, 400, 800, 1600, and 2400. Plus the 4x400

I never “ran through” shoes.

Bluecord

Six Pointer
Crazy. I grew up running trails. Ran XC in high school. Track spikes for the 110 hurdles, 400, 800, 1600, and 2400. Plus the 4x400

I never “ran through” shoes.
Yea that’s pretty much the standard on what shops and company’s will recommend. Even the Hokas with the thick soles still fall inside that range. I know when I was younger I would run some serious mileage and not even think about changing shoes for a year a lot of times. Now after a couple of decades my knees and lower back completely agree with the recommendation on mileage, I still run 60-70 miles a month so a pair last me about 6-7 months. New shoes have fixed a lot of pains and aches quickly for me.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns

I got back into mountain biking about 6 or so months ago. Had a wreck first of June. I was riding Kitsuma very aggressively, (which was above my skill level). Didn’t get hurt, but it could have been real bad and it spooked me a little. Made me realize I’m not a 20 yr old kid anymore and I was trying to do things that I had no business doing. That’s why I’m starting to run more. I’m going to alternate trail runs with some easier Mtn biking trails.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Made me realize I’m not a 20 yr old kid anymore and I was trying to do things that I had no business doing.
😁 Those thoughts have crossed my mind quite frequently over the past couple weeks. Lol

On tap for today since it's overcast, a 63 mile bike with ~2,600' of elevation gain. A 2 hour jog/shuffle, and a 2 mile swim.

Our from the couch to a half iron in ~3.5 months is slowly coming together. Hopefully we haven't bitten off more than we can chew 😁

Prior to 03/04 the goal was to finish halfs in the top 10 of our age group. This time around the goal is to simply cross the line within the cut-off time 😁

On the plus side of this suffering, 29lbs lost since March 1St, with ~18lbs to go. 195 is the goal and was my Ironman race weight in 03. 🤪

Last edited:

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
So I just started my program August 1. My wife's daughter started a August Challenge of 50 miles, intentional. It's been rough. I haven't run in 3.5 years, I didn't think it was that long till i did the math. I completed my first Marathon in 2017. Still not up to running/Airborne shuffling a mile with out stopping. I started just walking to get me to a 5k distance. walking at a 15/16 min mile pace hurt my shins, I remember I'd rather run. My third day of the challenge i was walking a 5k. Then i started my Run Walk intervals. I forgot how much my whole body hurts from doing just this, and my ankles, knees, hip flexors more. @ 54 it sucks to get back into the grove. So far I've logged 26.5 miles. Once i'm back to running a full mile It's on. Even doing a Run (.5), walk (.25) my pace time is coming down.
Why did i just stop after my Marathon. My wife got into a really bad accident in 2018 and taking care of her thru recovery, surgery's, more recovery has been tough, the Covid showed up, everything was more important than my exercise and they being Lazy.
Oh well New leaf. Got a Marathon to do in Feb in Austin TX, that's where our daughter lives.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
So I just started my program August 1. My wife's daughter started a August Challenge of 50 miles, intentional. It's been rough. I haven't run in 3.5 years, I didn't think it was that long till i did the math. I completed my first Marathon in 2017. Still not up to running/Airborne shuffling a mile with out stopping. I started just walking to get me to a 5k distance. walking at a 15/16 min mile pace hurt my shins, I remember I'd rather run. My third day of the challenge i was walking a 5k. Then i started my Run Walk intervals. I forgot how much my whole body hurts from doing just this, and my ankles, knees, hip flexors more. @ 54 it sucks to get back into the grove. So far I've logged 26.5 miles. Once i'm back to running a full mile It's on. Even doing a Run (.5), walk (.25) my pace time is coming down.
Why did i just stop after my Marathon. My wife got into a really bad accident in 2018 and taking care of her thru recovery, surgery's, more recovery has been tough, the Covid showed up, everything was more important than my exercise and they being Lazy.
Oh well New leaf. Got a Marathon to do in Feb in Austin TX, that's where our daughter lives.

getting started with the running part puts so much pressure on your joints and those atrophied muscles that it's gonna hurt no matter what. Once you're over that, well,...you're off and running.

I walk my dog every morning and if she's feeling it, we can make a 14minute pace. I'm not sure that won't ever not make my legs burn. Definitely easier to run when you start doing that.

I just looked and this morning we did 2.99 miles with min/max elevation of 153/451. It was later in the morning and humid. She's napping in a cool spot now.

keep it going, sounds like you're really progressing.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

My how I feel ya! Last week I was off to a good start for shuffling a half then the cramps set in (calves). Had an awesome swim, bike went well but I ended up walking most of the time when I should've been jogging/shuffling. I'm curious if cramps are common in old farts like us?

I've never had them 18 years ago but it's a common event now during most every run.

Good luck with the marathon in Texas!

If you get burnt out running the same areas in Vale, come try running the trails around Kerr Scott in Wilkes, I'd jog with you if I'm off if I can keep up 😎

This whole area is a mountain bike mecca and plenty of trail running to be had without having to pound pavement.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
My how I feel ya! Last week I was off to a good start for shuffling a half then the cramps set in (calves). Had an awesome swim, bike went well but I ended up walking most of the time when I should've been jogging/shuffling. I'm curious if cramps are common in old farts like us?

I've never had them 18 years ago but it's a common event now during most every run.

If you get burnt out running the same areas in Vale, come try running the trails around Kerr Scott in Wilkes, I'd jog with you if I'm off if I can keep up 😎

This whole area is a mountain bike mecca and plenty of trail running to be had without having to pound pavement.
I use the Lincolnton trail 1.5m one way, Jacobs Fork park loop and when my mileage get up to about 4 miles, i head to Catawba river green way, Morganton. 4 miles one way but you can get creative with going around the soccer fields and up to Freedom park. I might jump on some of the trails around Hickory once i figure them out.
what kind of one way mileage up at Kerr Scott. Been by there on our way to Helton Creek and Dixie Donuts.

Last edited:

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
what kind of one way mileage up at Kerr Scott.

From the Ranger station at the Dam to Bandits Roost campground (Over Mountain Victory Trail) is a good out and back. Round trip it's roughly 12.5 miles. Shiners run is like a 2 mile loop which can be incorporated into the Bandits Roost run. From Becky's Park (starts @YMCA) up to the stage @ Merle Fest, and the college loop and back is roughly 6 miles.

Putting together trail runs is virtually limitless because of all the Mountain Bike trails. This will give a good idea of what you can put together:

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns

"...18 years ago..."

Hahaha! I hear ya brother!

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
"...18 years ago..."

Hahaha! I hear ya brother!
😁 Last Tri was back then. A full Iron at Lake Placid in 03. Now I'm beginning to wonder if my buddy and I have bitten off more than we should have. The mind is willing but the body ain't wanting to participate. Gonna be one of those from the couch to a half iron in 3 months, and the goal is not being awarded a DNF 😁
Go BIG or go home..., right? 😎

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
😁 Last Tri was back then. A full Iron at Lake Placid in 03. Now I'm beginning to wonder if my buddy and I have bitten off more than we should have. The mind is willing but the body ain't wanting to participate. Gonna be one of those from the couch to a half iron in 3 months, and the goal is not being awarded a DNF 😁
Go BIG or go home..., right? 😎

Same. My oldest is 14 and that was the year of my last event. I’m pretty sure I could do okay in a sprint today, even though I never ride and swim sparingly, especially in my age group.

but I would be in severe pain the next few days. Especially from the ride.

at this point, I’m just working to offset the losses of age and not hit the decrepit stage too soon.

Edited to add. No iron man, no marathon, at most I might be willing to do a 10k with the kids (but would do my best to talk them into a 5k t-shirt run).

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
After not getting anything accomplished yesterday due to my phone alarming just about every hour yesterday with tornado warnings, the sun is out and brightly shinning! Whoop whoop!

On tap for today is some LSD. A 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile run.

2 more of these LSD days (1/wk for 2 more wks) after today, then starts the taper. There's light at the end of the tunnel 😜🤪😁

LSD are good days but time consuming.
(Long Slow Distance)