Any other suffering Canes fans out there?

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Thread starter #1
I am fairly new fan, but am hooked. I am still learning the game.

There are twelve of us who buy a couple of three game packs a year, but this year the two of us decided to try to February package on our own in addition to that. We have tickets to all the Feb home games.

We tailgate when time permits and the weather is good.

I had lower level season tickets from '98 until my divorce in '10. The atmosphere during that '01-'02 Stanley Cup season thru the '06 win was electric, I sure miss those days. I paid A LOT of money for seats that my butt never touched that whole game 7 win!!! I still go occasionally but it's sure been tough in the post cup years with the way they've played and parking now $20. It's still a fun game and I'm hopeful the new owner can bring it back to like the "old" days.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I had lower level season tickets from '98 until my divorce in '10. The atmosphere during that '01-'02 Stanley Cup season thru the '06 win was electric, I sure miss those days. I paid A LOT of money for seats that my butt never touched that whole game 7 win!!! I still go occasionally but it's sure been tough in the post cup years with the way they've played and parking now $20. It's still a fun game and I'm hopeful the new owner can bring it back to like the "old" days.
If you want a little exercise, park at the fairgrounds and walk over.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a sth up in 323. I'm a fan of hockey.... Canes are in a serious funk... I won't be at tonight's game but hopefully they'll have a better performance tonight

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i think the new owner may be just what is needed.

Everything he has touched turned out well. Hopefully the canes are another of his success stories.

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer
Been to a few Canes games. Love to watch the greatest sport on earth!!!! I learned to skate about the same time I learned to walk. Guess being from Canada that is what you do!!!! Played hockey from the age of 4 or 5 up thru high school and then some inter mural in college in Minnesota. Canes, Red Wings and Canadians Fan!!!!!!

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Thread starter #9
Well, the weekend went a bit better! Two wins. And fun to watch. There is certainly more energy in the building since the ownership changed.

dpc

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anyone following the Olympic Hockey? USA blew their opener in OT to Slovenia.

Looks like the women's team has been taking care of business though.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Love me some hockey.. though I am not a big fan of how they have "over cleaned" up the game.. the physical nature it once had, I fear it is losing.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I saw that. We have to do better and getting talent. It was time for a change.
I like a lot of the talent we have, we just don't have the right kind of talent. Have to get bigger and more physical. Less fancy skaters and more grit.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Thread starter #18
Looks like we might have a new goalie! Yayyyy.

There is a rumor circulating that Darling was drunk at practice and had liquor in his locker. He did have a couple of spectacular saves in their loss last night. And the new young blood is looking pretty good.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like we might have a new goalie! Yayyyy.

There is a rumor circulating that Darling was drunk at practice and had liquor in his locker. He did have a couple of spectacular saves in their loss last night. And the new young blood is looking pretty good.
First off I'd hate it if he fell off the wagon. He hasn't been much of a goalie this year but I'd hate it if he relapsed. As far as a new goalie goes Im not sure where you see us getting one from? Canes hooked their wagon to darling and unhooking it will come at a steep price. They have a lot of money tied up in him that one would think they got to free up to get someone else..... then you got to find someone else..... not a lot of starting goalies hanging around looking for a job. Francis was just bad at picking goalies. I think they got to figure a way to rehab darling cause nobody is taking him off your hands

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Thread starter #20
Helvig from Kingston with the OHL. Entry level deal.

And I didn't know Darling had drinking issues before. If he relapses doesn't that give them the opportunity to void his contract? But yeah, it I would hate it if he relapsed. Tough road for anyone fighting that fight.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Darling got kicked off U Maine Black Bears because he was an alcoholic. That kid they just signed is a minimum of 4 years away from NHL starter.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
I am learning the game. I figured he was a ways away, but didn't realize it was that far.
I know and don't take my post as a criticism I'm just trying to help your education. Take Cam Ward for example drafted by Canes in 02 joined the canes as a backup in 05 won them the cup in 06 as a backup goalie and became the starter in 07. Cam rose pretty quickly not sure how many can really do that. Darling could surprise us and right the ship by next season. Does he need a head shrink? A better goalie coach? Who knows but they got to figure that out. Cam can give them some solid games but his days as a starter are drawing to a close. New owner new GM and likely a new coach will have to figure the goalie situation out along with the rest of the issues the canes have. A long off season with no play offs but little time when you look at what all they need to finish before next season.

dpc

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
you hockey fans are doing yourself a disservice if you haven't been watching the frozen four games and the final on now for college.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Will be interesting to see if Tom Dundon can make hockey work in Raleigh.

Not sure how that will be accomplished if he wants the team to wear Hartford Whalers gear during games

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
But he has to wave his trade clause so I'm not sure how it's the new owner cleaning house. Skinner over the past few years has been rumored to want out of Carolina. No secret he didn't get along well with Muller when he was the coach and he didn't get a long with Peters. Rod was the assistant under both of those men so who knows maybe he shares their views on Skinner. Skinner is a fan favorite but as far as his production it hasn't been consistent so maybe he should go. Ultimately if he does it will be as much his choice as it is the new owners because he has a no trade clause.