Any old time Gearheads on here machine shop guys with experience early 70's hot rods

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Some seriously nice rides here. I've got an old C10 pickup that is my daily driver. Thanks to the boredom of the early COVID lockdown I did the body work on it and had it sprayed. It's got a 6.0L LS with 4L80E trans in it. I love having a modern drivetrain. Gets good fuel mileage, is reliable and runs mid 13s at 110 mph in the quarter mile. It's not ready for a car show, but that's not why I own it.
Joe

IMG_20200709_181540509.jpg

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Some seriously nice rides here. I've got an old C10 pickup that is my daily driver. Thanks to the boredom of the early COVID lockdown I did the body work on it and had it sprayed. It's got a 6.0L LS with 4L80E trans in it. I love having a modern drivetrain. Gets good fuel mileage, is reliable and runs mid 13s at 110 mph in the quarter mile. It's not ready for a car show, but that's not why I own it.
Joe

View attachment 82017
That's sharp as a rat turd

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Nothing hanging down now, drive shaft, parking brake, transmission cooling lines, shift linkage, and exhaust pipes are all in place and done! the power steering, alternator, and wiring harness are next

Attachments

• 20211231_173900.jpg
    20211231_173900.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 11

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
Intake, Fuel pump and distributor are on, Do NOT under any circumstances prime the oil pump without a oil filter in place, by gosh the pump works well.
For sure, One time I primed a 454 we built and forgot to plug the hole for the oil pressure gauge sender. Pumped out about a quart and a half before I realized, and that covers A LOT of area on a shop floor, lol.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well the old girl cranked and ran like a top. Survived the 30 min break in and is ldleing smooth now. I'm both amazed and relieved. Both valve covers are leaking a little, may have to upgrade gaskets or some nice cast aluminum valve covers

I've pretty much stopped using gaskets under any valve covers due to way too many issues with warping and leaking. Clean well, run a bead of quality silicone around the flange of the cover and install. Works well on oil pans and thermostat housings also.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Been awile but things kept coming up in life and had a few small issues to track down with the motor. All good now and running like she did 30 years ago!
C6 is shifting like it should and it will break traction going into 2nd if pegged, and bark a tire going into 3rd.

Attachments

• 20220430_184921.jpg
    20220430_184921.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220530_151958.jpg
    20220530_151958.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 32

Tjm1534

Spike
That’s beautiful,they don’t make ‘em like that anymore.I’m into square body K5 Blazers and Suburban.I have 3 and am in the process of completing a 1988 Suburban 4x4 .No expense is being spared,6.2 ls 8 speed automatic and 205 transfer case,but I will use it for hunting and will drive it everywhere.Oklahoma,Kansas Illinois Iowa and Canada.it will look like a 1988 and run like a 2022

big bore bob

Eight Pointer
In my opinion and based on my experience, flat tappet cams and lifters are a real gamble these days. Even the names that we learned to trust 40 or 50 years ago are all made in China now where the metal used is very questionable. Forged and CHina and maybe ground in the USA, but still Chinese metal.
If you aren't afraid of changing cams ever so often because yours is wiped, take a chance on these new flat tappet.
I'm a SBF man and I ain't looking back from rollers. I get faster and smoother RPMs with the rollers.
I too am disappointed with the new flat tappets, but you never know these days. If you do run a new flat tappet don't forget the oil additive.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
In my opinion and based on my experience, flat tappet cams and lifters are a real gamble these days. Even the names that we learned to trust 40 or 50 years ago are all made in China now where the metal used is very questionable. Forged and CHina and maybe ground in the USA, but still Chinese metal.
If you aren't afraid of changing cams ever so often because yours is wiped, take a chance on these new flat tappet.
I'm a SBF man and I ain't looking back from rollers. I get faster and smoother RPMs with the rollers.
I too am disappointed with the new flat tappets, but you never know these days. If you do run a new flat tappet don't forget the oil additive.

I run VR1 Valvoline high zinc in my 69 Camaro. To me nothing sounds better than a solid lifter, cammed up, carb, engine, I get what you saying though about better performance and cheap China metals today. I was just searching for an alum. water pump for my squarebody build. I read reviews where the aluminum water pumps from China was rusting.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I run VR1 Valvoline high zinc in my 69 Camaro. To me nothing sounds better than a solid lifter, cammed up, carb, engine, I get what you saying though about better performance and cheap China metals today. I was just searching for an alum. water pump for my squarebody build. I read reviews where the aluminum water pumps from China was rusting.
Went with Ford racing on the 429. Not sure if it's better but boy does it look good

Attachments

• 20210721_091423.jpg
    20210721_091423.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 10