any of you guys ever built corral traps for pigs

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Have read a ton of stuff on them on line and have a design, just wandering if any of you have any real world experience with them and any advice you can offer?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Build them in a circle is best, always put the post to the outside of the wire. Put wire clips on EVERY strand of wire. No matter how much sign you have always prop your door open at the start. The gates that allow one way entrance that keep allowing more to enter but none to leave will catch more hogs than a single trip guillotine type door.

Also before you go to the trouble of building a corral type trap they do get trap shy. One that you can move does have it's good points.

rem1148

nc gives good advise. Also, when you start accumulating what you need to build it don`t forget to go online and get your trap permit number. It has to be attached to your trap. (unless that's changed last few years) Farmer called us one morning to come catch some hogs that were in his pasture night before. When we got there someone had built a corral trap in that pasture and had caught a calf. Front of its mothers legs were about bloody from trying to get over fence!

Tractor Supply will have most of what you need. I recommend the type of wire panels that has small holes along bottom and graduate to larger holes toward top. ( maybe called goat panel) This keeps smaller pigs, piglets from getting out once in. Also, get at least 4 ft tall panels. I`ve been told if a hog can get its chin over top they can climb out. T post work good. Drive them with a post driver.

I believe state law says all hogs caught in trap have to be dispatched inside trap than removed. Read rules and regs. at NCWRC!

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
nc gives good advise. Also, when you start accumulating what you need to build it don`t forget to go online and get your trap permit number. It has to be attached to your trap. (unless that's changed last few years) Farmer called us one morning to come catch some hogs that were in his pasture night before. When we got there someone had built a corral trap in that pasture and had caught a calf. Front of its mothers legs were about bloody from trying to get over fence!

Tractor Supply will have most of what you need. I recommend the type of wire panels that has small holes along bottom and graduate to larger holes toward top. ( maybe called goat panel) This keeps smaller pigs, piglets from getting out once in. Also, get at least 4 ft tall panels. I`ve been told if a hog can get its chin over top they can climb out. T post work good. Drive them with a post driver.

I believe state law says all hogs caught in trap have to be dispatched inside trap than removed. Read rules and regs. at NCWRC!

Thanks for the info, I have the basics down and have the trapping permit, just was looking for a few little pointers to make it more effective............got a couple of places identified where the pigs are using and rooting......add a little soured corn and I will be good to go...

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
We built one last year out of T post and the panel type wire at tractor supply. Everybody told me not to set the door at first. Mine is gilotine type door. Well...that was a mistake for us. I had trail camera on my trap...first time they went in, I had 6-7 go in it. Then here is my second mistake..when we pieced the wire panels together, somehow we left the wire ends sticking out on the inside...the pigs must of panicked inside the trap and started running around. Well one got cut and we had blood all in the trap. They wont go back in it. After the trap set for several months, we finally caught two piglets. There was three of them but we only got two. The other one ran around the trap all day long trying to get in with them but finally left. So we shot them two in the trap...blood in the trap again. So it set a couple more months without catching a thing. Pigs are there..they just wont go in it. Finally in Jan we had a boar go in and we got him. It took him 45 minutes before he went in. I had it all on trail camera..he would walk up stick his nose in and back away..over and over. So in my opinion...blood in the trap is not good. Set the trap where you can check it from a distance...the farther the better. If you got to drive 4 wheelers into where its at..I would look for another spot. Soured corn was of very little help to me...I think what got the boar was soured dog food. Friend of mine raises hogs..and they love cat food from tractor supply. Of coarse a pig will eat anything but he told me about the cat food and Ive seen it.

Here is a thread that might be worth reading for you. http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/showthread.php?88632-Trapping-Hogs

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The battery operated deer feeders work great at keeping fresh bait in and around the catch pen. Peanut butter is a great bait to put on whatever you will use to trip the trap, it lasts a long time and smells even after it's gone. Also if you don't have bears in the area, used cooking grease will work well for keeping a hogs interest in the trap.
We used t-posts and hog panels and did really well and it's fairly easy to move after your done in the area. Remember that hogs can push up a post if it's not down really well, and the door has to be secured from the inside and outside or you'll have a empty trap when you get back. They aren't the smartest critters, but they have really good instincts and memories when it comes to trapping them.

Trophybucks

There are always exceptions to the rule but I have caught a ton of hogs and always tie the door shut and let them get used to going in...you may miss some like that but you will get more than you miss. I put a trail cam looking into the door from a tree and when I see nothing but hog butts blurring the pic running in the door I then set it. put your trip in the back of the pen to make sure as many as possible get in.

When you bait it don't put all the bait over the back of the trip wire....place a couple little small piles in front of the trip so the first pigs in will stop and eat before they hit the trip wire and allow their buddies to follow. Put a few packets of strawberry jello in the soured corn concoction also. They like strawberry jello.

Another piece of free advice, put twice as many tpost as you think you will need and tie all the connections together, also overlap your panels by at least 3 or 4 holes and tie them well. Do not let the wire at the bottom get off the ground either. Make sure your panels are either straight up or leaning in toward the center of the trap. I have had hogs run and jump then hit the top and roll over. believe it or not it happens.

Also stalk up to the trap in the morning....if there are a bunch of hogs and you catch some then one or two may hang around and lay around the trap. you may can pop one walking in.

I always put a panel leading in to the trap and put my door at an angle inward to give it more support when they are running and ramming into the door.

Attachments

• Photo Jan 17, 10 05 16 AM.jpg
    Photo Jan 17, 10 05 16 AM.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo Jan 17, 10 37 01 AM.jpg
    Photo Jan 17, 10 37 01 AM.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 11712trap 221.jpg
    11712trap 221.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

rem1148

bg, If you count the holes in the wire from top to bottom there are 15 x 4inches = 60 so 5 ft. tall fence. I see that pig standing on his back legs to. Bet that sucker would`ve climbed out if the fence wasn't tall.