Any of y’all get hay fever/hives?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Did some side work this past weekend and was spreading straw Friday evening and all day Saturday. Was taking bird baths in the sink since our bathroom was getting remodeled . Saturday my skin was a little red and itchy. By Sunday afternoon I was broke out in hives all over. Went to doctor yesterday and they said it’s possible it could’ve been from the straw bales and the big rolled mats of straw we put down. Gave me a steroid and Benadryl injection and it went away. Fast forward 24 hours and I’m back in the doctors office, covered head to toe in hives again. Haven’t introduced anything new to my system as far as food, detergent, etc. I read that one of the tell tale signs of it can be a rash that appears, goes away, and reappears. They are starting me on actual steroid prescription. Really just curious if any of y’all have dealt with this. If I can find a berry bush on the muzzleloader hunt, I can hunt shirtless and blend right in
Edited to add: I know some of you are prime physical specimens. This post doesn’t apply to you. I’m looking for the unhealthy scourge of the forum

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did some side work this past weekend and was spreading straw Friday evening and all day Saturday. Was taking bird baths in the sink since our bathroom was getting remodeled . Saturday my skin was a little red and itchy. By Sunday afternoon I was broke out in hives all over. Went to doctor yesterday and they said it’s possible it could’ve been from the straw bales and the big rolled mats of straw we put down. Gave me a steroid and Benadryl injection and it went away. Fast forward 24 hours and I’m back in the doctors office, covered head to toe in hives again. Haven’t introduced anything new to my system as far as food, detergent, etc. I read that one of the tell tale signs of it can be a rash that appears, goes away, and reappears. They are starting me on actual steroid prescription. Really just curious if any of y’all have dealt with this. If I can find a berry bush on the muzzleloader hunt, I can hunt shirtless and blend right in
You’re just weird is all. Put your big girl panties on and deal with it😁

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I am prone to get hives out of the blue. Maybe once or twice a year and can not determine what causes it. Drs do nothing but treat symptoms. I just take benadryl and deal. Last time was a month or so ago and it took several doses and a couple days to be rid of it. Would come and go.
You will need to see a dermatologist and get tested for allergies if you want to know what's causing it. I have not gone that route yet but haven't had any internal issues yet (trouble breathing ect).
I always have benadryl with me just in case but will need to see the Dr if it keeps getting worse. Feels like your skin is just crawling when it happens. can drive you crazy.

I was allergic to nothing growing up. First reaction I had was on a plane to Montana due to an antibiotic I took. Sulfates are a no no now for me.
Sucks getting old. 😄

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I am prone to get hives out of the blue. Maybe once or twice a year and can not determine what causes it. Drs do nothing but treat symptoms. I just take benadryl and deal. Last time was a month or so ago and it took several doses and a couple days to be rid of it. Would come and go.
You will need to see a dermatologist and get tested for allergies if you want to know what's causing it. I have not gone that route yet but haven't had any internal issues yet (trouble breathing ect).
I always have benadryl with me just in case but will need to see the Dr if it keeps getting worse. Feels like your skin is just crawling when it happens. can drive you crazy.

I was allergic to nothing growing up. First reaction I had was on a plane to Montana due to an antibiotic I took. Sulfates are a no no now for me.
Sucks getting old. 😄
Yeah that is spot on for my experience . Thanks Dick. Doctor said the same thing. Only 2 thing I did differently this weekend was mess with straw and handle pressure treated lumber. So it could of been one or the other, or neither lol. Yeah I felt great after the 2 shots yesterday. Went home and passed out in Benadryl land. But by midnight last night my skin was on fire and I tossed and turned. Guess I better have Benadryl ready in case it’s not gone by this weekends big hunt. My luck I’ll fall asleep in the woods and @pcbuckhunter will kill a biggin that strolls right by me! I’ll still drag/pack it out tho

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd probably take something like Zyrtec, Claritin or similar instead of benedryl just for the side effects that benedryl can have. Grass, hay, ect are very common allergens.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My experience has been that allergies can and have changed as I have aged. Things that bothered me as a youngster are no longer a problem but some things that had no affect on me as a youngster will light me up now. Poison Oak is a good example. I could walk trough is barefoot and pull it up bare hands when younger and it never bothered me at all. Now, I have to be very careful to avoid contact.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
My experience has been that allergies can and have changed as I have aged. Things that bothered me as a youngster are no longer a problem but some things that had no affect on me as a youngster will light me up now. Poison Oak is a good example. I could walk trough is barefoot and pull it up bare hands when younger and it never bothered me at all. Now, I have to be very careful to avoid contact.
Funny you mention that Harold. I got poison oak last month and it took a month to heal and stop itching even with meds. From the time I was a little kid till I was 29, I had no reaction to poisonous plants at all

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah that is spot on for my experience . Thanks Dick. Doctor said the same thing. Only 2 thing I did differently this weekend was mess with straw and handle pressure treated lumber. So it could of been one or the other, or neither lol. Yeah I felt great after the 2 shots yesterday. Went home and passed out in Benadryl land. But by midnight last night my skin was on fire and I tossed and turned. Guess I better have Benadryl ready in case it’s not gone by this weekends big hunt. My luck I’ll fall asleep in the woods and @pcbuckhunter will kill a biggin that strolls right by me! I’ll still drag/pack it out tho
That @pcbuckhunter is an :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk. He’d do some :donk:donk:donk:donk like that.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bend over and get one of your bear hunting buddies to give you a shot of Dex. To it quits burning the hives will be gone. 😂

rrednek

Spike
@YanceyGreenhorn Have you had Covid? I have been seeing doctors since September 6, 2020. Woke up with hives about 3 weeks after a very mild case of covid,. Really did not even know I had it, but tested positive for antibodies. Someone mentioned viral above and that certainly fits. I have seen my regular doctor, allergist, dermatologist, pulmonologist, and even had a stress test because of a short period of shortness of breath. Long story short, I am blessed that I have no medical issues after many tests and no medical issues were found. Labeled Chronic Hives by dermatologist and allergist and they say when my blood heals from the viral infection the hives will go away. For some people it lasts up to 5 years. Certainly hope not. In the meantime, I take 2 Zyttec and 1 Pepsid (H1 and H2 blockers) at night and 2 Zyrtec in the morning per doctor. The condition is under control and managed but still there. If I try to get off of the Zyrtec and Pepsid, hives flair up and itch like crazy. I certainly hope your issue is different. Good Luck!

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
@YanceyGreenhorn sounds like you’re even more fair skinned than the fair skinned. Maybe have a doctor check you for immune disorders.

I know as I’ve gotten older I’ve had slight changes. I swear I sweat more than I did as a kid but besides that I thought I had throat cancer from years of dipping because my papillae were swollen and swallowing made my throat more irritated. Turns out the dust from baling hay and certain late summer allergens in forage were the cause. Solved that with a cab tractor. I can mow the yard no problem.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
@YanceyGreenhorn Have you had Covid? I have been seeing doctors since September 6, 2020. Woke up with hives about 3 weeks after a very mild case of covid,. Really did not even know I had it, but tested positive for antibodies. Someone mentioned viral above and that certainly fits. I have seen my regular doctor, allergist, dermatologist, pulmonologist, and even had a stress test because of a short period of shortness of breath. Long story short, I am blessed that I have no medical issues after many tests and no medical issues were found. Labeled Chronic Hives by dermatologist and allergist and they say when my blood heals from the viral infection the hives will go away. For some people it lasts up to 5 years. Certainly hope not. In the meantime, I take 2 Zyttec and 1 Pepsid (H1 and H2 blockers) at night and 2 Zyrtec in the morning per doctor. The condition is under control and managed but still there. If I try to get off of the Zyrtec and Pepsid, hives flair up and itch like crazy. I certainly hope your issue is different. Good Luck!
Dang I hope you continue on the upswing thanks for the suggestions

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I did when I was younger, but thankfully I must have "grown" out of it because I havent had a issue in years.
When I did I lived off Benadryl.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Here’s a shot of optimism. Got another shot of steroids in the glute. Decided to give the Zyrtec a try especially since I already knew it doesn’t make me drowsy like Benadryl. Took one liquigel and 30 min later....still some blotches but no swelling or itching. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Doc had told me take 2 Benadryl every 4 hours and I hate how crappy it makes me feel. The Zyrtec helped a lot. Appreciate ya

rrednek

Spike
Here’s a shot of optimism. Got another shot of steroids in the glute. Decided to give the Zyrtec a try especially since I already knew it doesn’t make me drowsy like Benadryl. Took one liquigel and 30 min later....still some blotches but no swelling or itching. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Doc had told me take 2 Benadryl every 4 hours and I hate how crappy it makes me feel. The Zyrtec helped a lot. Appreciate ya
All of my Doctors have said 4 per day is the limit. Glad it is helping.

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
I'm not allergic to anything and have been tested. But if I even look at wheat straw I break out in chaff itch. Something about the dust from it and the exposed skin. I look like I have shingles about 6 hours after. Dad hated it when I was required to bale in the summer growing up but he sure made up for during hay season. .... anyway.. maybe you have what they call chaff itch. A good hot shower shortly after dealing with straw helps

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I'm not allergic to anything and have been tested. But if I even look at wheat straw I break out in chaff itch. Something about the dust from it and the exposed skin. I look like I have shingles about 6 hours after. Dad hated it when I was required to bale in the summer growing up but he sure made up for during hay season. .... anyway.. maybe you have what they call chaff itch. A good hot shower shortly after dealing with straw helps
Thx Johnny . Interesting you say that cuz my wife said the other night “I bet it’s from the straw but you look like you have shingles!”. Make sense about the shower too. Our bathroom was getting redone that weekend and I was taking bird baths in the sink both nights after working with the straw. Def not the same as a full blown shower