Any long range shooters around......

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Best long range scope for the money is a fixed SWFA super sniper 10x, they retail for 300 and compare to $1200 glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
I looked those up when I got your message last night and found that and lots of other nice scopes on that swfa website. I really like the Ziess that Bryguy brought to my attention and since today was pay day I may have to pull the trigger on it. Still researching a bit to make sure I don't waste my money but i've heard mostly good things about Ziess and I think it will be plenty to get me started and serve as a good hunting optic too.

I know some of the guys from this board get together and shoot skeet or something like that but maybe we can get a group together at a centrally located range and share tips and techniques for newbies and veterans alike. Anybody interested in something like that?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I think that you will be very happy with the Zeiss Conquest. It is a good scope for beginning target shooting and hunting. I have one of the 6.5-20's that is on my beanfield rifle, and it works well for that application. Those super snipers are good scopes, but if you plan to hunt the zeiss conquest is probably as good a deal as can be found. They were close to a grand when they were in production, and have as good a glass as any of the higher end scopes I have looked thru.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I think Doug at Cameraland had the 6.5-20 Zeiss on deal of the day yesterday. Might be able to get in on it. I like Zeiss and Kahles myself but I was thinking in your budget there are a lot of used Mark 4's out there. The better Zeiss and Kahles scopes are pushing 2-2500. The Conquest line is well respected I would like to try out their new HD5 line at some point. The Regular Conquest line was a good bargain but since being discontinued they have started to climb in price. I would box test any scope you buy. Especially if punching anything other than paper. Admittedly, I haven't heard of anyone having problems with Mark 4's and they are pretty popular. I have heard mixed reviews on the SS and it's predecessor from Tasco. Also, if you are looking at upper end glass decide if you need a Zero Stop or Lockable Turrets. There are a lot of options for you. I think Zeiss and Leupold would hold a lot of resale value if you decided you needed something else. I would email Shooters Corner and see what they had available in a good used scope or check the forums I sent you and talk to the guys I mentioned. They spend every day doing this and will have a lot of good advice. I can't remember if Jerry's range is 1400 or 1800 but it is in his front yard. He is also a very helpful guy as is Kirby. Good Luck with whatever you decide. A lot of ways to skin this one.

BRYGUY,
My 7wsm was set up for 180's. I liked it a lot but just don't use it much because of it's size and weight. The Mcmillan felt good in the hands though. I have a Bansners stock on my sons UL and it has a more open grip. I am thinking of putting the new EH3 Manners stock on my Sako at some point. He doesn't inlet for the one I have but Clint at Duplin Rifles offered to inlet a blank for me.

hungup

Spike
I've got a remmy 700 milspec.5r 24" bbl. 8.5x25x50 that would suit u good for a while. Shoots great. Pm.me.if interested

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
The 5R is a nice gun as well. I actually like it a little better than a 700P. I think that has slightly different stock dimensions and a better fit than the 700P and a lot of companies like the 5R rifling. Put a Jewell in it and you are good to go.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I've got a remmy 700 milspec.5r 24" bbl. 8.5x25x50 that would suit u good for a while. Shoots great. Pm.me.if interested

Great gun and cartridge, but will need to be a hand loader for it though.....

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I think Doug at Cameraland had the 6.5-20 Zeiss on deal of the day yesterday. Might be able to get in on it. I like Zeiss and Kahles myself but I was thinking in your budget there are a lot of used Mark 4's out there. The better Zeiss and Kahles scopes are pushing 2-2500. The Conquest line is well respected I would like to try out their new HD5 line at some point. The Regular Conquest line was a good bargain but since being discontinued they have started to climb in price. I would box test any scope you buy. Especially if punching anything other than paper. Admittedly, I haven't heard of anyone having problems with Mark 4's and they are pretty popular. I have heard mixed reviews on the SS and it's predecessor from Tasco. Also, if you are looking at upper end glass decide if you need a Zero Stop or Lockable Turrets. There are a lot of options for you. I think Zeiss and Leupold would hold a lot of resale value if you decided you needed something else. I would email Shooters Corner and see what they had available in a good used scope or check the forums I sent you and talk to the guys I mentioned. They spend every day doing this and will have a lot of good advice. I can't remember if Jerry's range is 1400 or 1800 but it is in his front yard. He is also a very helpful guy as is Kirby. Good Luck with whatever you decide. A lot of ways to skin this one.

BRYGUY,
My 7wsm was set up for 180's. I liked it a lot but just don't use it much because of it's size and weight. The Mcmillan felt good in the hands though. I have a Bansners stock on my sons UL and it has a more open grip. I am thinking of putting the new EH3 Manners stock on my Sako at some point. He doesn't inlet for the one I have but Clint at Duplin Rifles offered to inlet a blank for me.
I have never personally dealt with any of the MK4s, but have heard from several guys who spin turrets almost daily and run LR shooting schools that the failure rates on the leupy's are up there. Again no personal experience, but comes from guys that I trust and value their opinions. They literally several hundred LR rigs a month. All the leupy's I have dealt with have been great, but I used them in a set it and forget it role, not spinning turrets.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I only know a few as well but I do know Jeff set an NRA record and won the Canadian Nationals and took second at the worlds with a Premier boosted MK 4 ( he also uses NF ) Jerry Teo competed with one too IIRC. I think Clint Cooper and Kirby Allen both use NF on their customs but a bit out of the OP 's range. I sent him a link to a Zeiss 6.5-20 in his range. You don't need to handload a 5R it is a .308. Could probably start put with FGMM ammo and be pretty good.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Misread that post, got it confused with the guy in the classifieds selling a custom 700 in 6.5x284.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I also think either hunting shack or buffalo bore are loading 308 with the Bergers as well....

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
I'm still waiting on a response from hungup about that rifle. I wasn't familiar with his description but you say it shoots .308? If so that is perfect for me. I've already started a rather large collection of factory match grade ammo for my current .308 to try. I don't have a suitable place to reload so that isn't an option for me.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Here is a thread where they discuss the Milspec 5R. I didn't read through it but it should give you some information in them. They are essentially a 700P with a VSSF stock so less of a palm swell in the stock. The barrel is stainless and the rifling is 5R hence the name. I also think it is an 11 twist but not positive. If I had to pic a Remington for F T/R etc. I would pic this rifle
http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...4060-rem-700-milspec-5r-owners-you-happy.html

bflee

I am no pro but me and a few other guys get together every two to three weeks since we got bit with the long range bug last year. We learn a little more each time, and I think that is the goal. We shoot just outside Albertson, NC in one of my cousins hay fields that stretches about 540 yards one way that we can shoot all the time until May, and 900 the other way which we have to plan with the owner due to traffic on a farm path.
I shoot a Savage 12LRP 6.5 Creedmoor, my friend from work shoots a Remington Model 700 308, and my other friend shoots a Stevens 308. I was shooting a Marlin 308 last year before I got the Savage so a high end rifle is not required. We have several steel targets that we put out and bang. We have just got into putting them out and ranging them with our reticles. It gets very interesting from there!
We are an equal opportunity group if you want to give it a shot. This is my group at 540 on 4-6-14. I shot the one on the left first, then found my mark with the three in the middle at less than 1/2" MOA. The high one is my attempt at a head shot after finding my spot.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
bflee, that's exactly what I picture when I envision myself doing this. Just getting together with my friends and sending rounds down range in friendly competition. I'd love to get together with ya sometime. I may like to try formal competition one day but just looking to shoot for fun for now.

Last edited:

bflee

You wouldnt be here very long!

bflee

The down side is I have found it makes you want to upgrade your equipment if you cant shoot with everyone else. Thats why the marlin VH7 308 is my woods hunting gun now! I could probably bed it and make it shoot a little tighter. I actually sold my AR when they were selling high just to get the LRP. I am so glad I did. I enjoy this kind of shooting alot more. Doesnt cost much because we all reload, and its just plain fun. We had an 11 year old with us sunday and he hit a gong at 400 that his dad had just missed twice! I dont think he will ever forget that. The dad certainly wont.
We have a wide age range. Only three if us regulars. I am 44, my work partner is 29, and an old friend who is 38. It will be a couple weeks before we shoot again because of prior engagements, but if you want to shoot its free except for rounds and gas!

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Yeah it sounds fun! I've ordered a scope but still haven't laid hands on it yet. My anniversary is next week and I'll be away then broke for the next several weeks but once I get back and caught up I'd love to find a better rifle that fits the budget and get it fixed up. I'm gonna hit a few gun shops up tomorrow in hopes of finding a good deal.

Once I get a better suited rig and zero it in I'll definitely take you up on the offer.

bflee

I would go 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor if I was interested in long range. The 308 is cheaper to shoot and easier to find ammo for and has been used in long range alot in the past, but the 6.5 calibers are taking over. There was 1 308 in the PRS last year and he lost! The 6.5 calibers can hunt anything from varmint to deer easily and have more power than the 308 down range. If I didnt reload I would go with the 308, but reloading can be accomplished with a couple hundred dollars and your rounds will be the best you can get for your gun. They would far surpass factory rounds.
I have 900 in my gun, 950 in my scope, and about 300 in reload equipment. You dont need alot of room to reload either. Its not hard at all.
The scope has to have turrets that you can dial, you need a canted base, and a decent rifle to get started. The Stevens thT my friend Chad shoots is a sporter barrel 300 dollar gun but he improved the trigger. Look for a gun with a target barrel so you can shoot without it heating and bending. Chad can only shoot about 3 accurately and then wait for it to cool! Me and my friend Preston both have bull barrels and can shoot all day.
Just a few things I learned the hard way.
I have been spanking them since I got the new rig, but I paid for it! Feel free to message me and ask some questions if you like. Its areally fun sport!

bflee

Put a decent scope and canted base on that Marlin and I can show you how to shoot 600! Without the canted base and depending on scope adjustment range we can get out there to around 450-500 probably. But they are all fun!

bflee

Just shot 700 this weekend. It was fun.
Thats a long ways!

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
Remington 700 P get the action trued , lap the lugs,bed the action,little trigger work because the P does have a 40 XB trigger if I'm not mistaken?
Buy a used. Nightforce off the classifieds on sniper hide.
Get a good 20 MOA rail and steel rings.
You will be good.

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

Last edited: