Any furniture people on here?

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
We headed to Durham this morning to pick this up. Curious if it’s worth anything before wife sands and paints it.

Attachments

• 85ADA136-EEF3-4896-811A-3171B800E570.jpeg
    85ADA136-EEF3-4896-811A-3171B800E570.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 7C109A63-6337-449E-8B20-3867DFDA3EC3.jpeg
    7C109A63-6337-449E-8B20-3867DFDA3EC3.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 68

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
If that’s a Drexel Heritage piece from 1968 its more than likely pretty valuable. I’d check with a antique dealer before doing anything to it.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Used to work in a furniture plant in Winston-Salem, summers of my youth. Drexel is good, but not as good as Thomasville. Going to a lot of auctions, I know pieces like that in general don't sell for the big bucks because they are too big for apartments, are heavy and hard to move. fragil with all the glass. Make sure you know where she wants it and move it only once. Definitely a throwback in time, but I am sure it is well made. Good luck!

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Used to work in a furniture plant in Winston-Salem, summers of my youth. Drexel is good, but not as good as Thomasville. Going to a lot of auctions, I know pieces like that in general don't sell for the big bucks because they are too big for apartments, are heavy and hard to move. fragil with all the glass. Make sure you know where she wants it and move it only once. Definitely a throwback in time, but I am sure it is well made. Good luck!
Yeah it’s 2 piece top and bottom. Probably 300 lbs all together. We got it in truck and house without issue. She was wanting one to paint to her own colors and after cleaning up it’s almost too nice to paint. Either way it’s worth the $50 she paid for it.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Either way it’s worth the $50 she paid for it.
Yes, that was a very decent price. My wife does that sort of thing, and IMO the prep and painting would be pretty intense on a piece that size with lots of glass. Plus, if it is already in place you would have to move it to paint it.

np307

Ten Pointer
The name means good quality. The piece itself doesnt have much value though. Outdated market. We rarely took anything like that when I worked at a used furniture store. Sold a lot of Drexel dressers and chests though.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
It's sad that real furniture is basically worthless while cheap fiberboard crap is thousands of dollars