Any experience with early SC low country hunts?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Hunting SC low country for the 1st time this year... just curious if birds are henned up bad then or etc?

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
Hunting SC low country for the 1st time this year... just curious if birds are henned up bad then or etc?
I don't think I'm in low country. I hunt along Pee Dee in SC, which is early season.
But my experience is just like here in nc. Varies year to year, one year no hens gobblers run to you, next hear hens everywhere, you may have to hunt 3 days to kill your 2.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think I'm in low country. I hunt along Pee Dee in SC, which is early season.
But my experience is just like here in nc. Varies year to year, one year no hens gobblers run to you, next hear hens everywhere, you may have to hunt 3 days to kill your 2.
That is such fun understatement there Trkyjedi. Pretty work.
"You may have to hunt 3 days to kill your two."
And from your pics i have no doubt you could pull it off. :)
Do remember that this year there are some restrictive rules on killing them both in three days. If you are a non resident.

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
That is such fun understatement there Trkyjedi. Pretty work.
"You may have to hunt 3 days to kill your two."
And from your pics i have no doubt you could pull it off. :)
Do remember that this year there are some restrictive rules on killing them both in three days. If you are a non resident.
True about restrictions, I just assumed a paid hunt and Helium wouldn't go for 1 bird. Maybe 2 birds 2 weeks apart?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I will be in Florence County which is Pee Dee river area. I called it low country since it’s the earlier season

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
True about restrictions, I just assumed a paid hunt and Helium wouldn't go for 1 bird. Maybe 2 birds 2 weeks apart?
No paid hunt... DIY but have access to 224 acres of private with swamps bordering both ends. 1 birds in those 3 days will be just fine

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
The farm we hunt has the NC/SC marker through the middle of 500 acres. We hunt one side and next week NC side. Was terrible last year as birds were about done with all the warm weather.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
.....The birds can still and were quite henned up the first 3 days in April I hunted Chesterfield County in 1997 and in Hampton county along the Savannah river in 2014.

Last edited:

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I guided hunts in Colleton and Dorchester counties from 08- 15 some of the best hunting I've ever seen. Pigs, poachers and other predators had started taking a toll on the population. Some of the most knowledgeable hunters I've ever meet lived in Walterboro. Killed my first bird in Georgetown in 2000 mosquitoes would tote you off and rattlesnakes were big as beer cans.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I will be in Florence County which is Pee Dee river area. I called it low country since it’s the earlier season
i have hunted near there since 1996. The season used to open april 1st. I would always go down a few weeks earlier and the turkeys would be very vocal and responsive. My thought process was how easy it would be if the season opened earlier. :)

Well Now it does and it seems that they are no easier to kill and nor as vocal or responsive. Lately it has been late morning before i find one ready to play it seems.

But that's just one set of experiences, logically that far north in SC they will be about on par with our lower central and southern birds in terms of "henned up bad".

Good Luck when you go.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Its been bit since I hunted SC but I've hunted around Estill late march and dealt with plenty hens hunted union county and had better luck first week April

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The farm we hunt has the NC/SC marker through the middle of 500 acres. We hunt one side and next week NC side. Was terrible last year as birds were about done with all the warm weather.
If birds were done I'd say had more do with being dead than not wanting to breed they'll breed into June if hens still not nesting