Any body dealt with your boat being totaled?

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
What boat insurance you have?
What kind of claims you had and how long to settle them?

Charter Lakes and no claims, thank God... Friends have had claims and they seemed to be fairly settled.
The point about the transom tie downs was as much to indicate impact force (helpful if the driver isn't owning responsibility) as it is to safety. People have a tendency to overlook things like the rear tie downs but if you have an accident and don't have them your insurance could bow out because of your negligence to use all tie points. Companies today will use ANY excuse to deny a claim.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've had two experiences with Nationwide. My mom totaled her car and I had kitchen damage from an upstairs leak. I was 100% pleased with the way Nationwide handled both. You should be fine, other than being without your boat for a while.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had a similar situation with NATIONWIDE 3 years ago when a woman rear ended me and totaled my utility trailer and Tahoe. They were terrible to deal with. Slow, would not answer phones or return calls, threatened to quit paying storage on truck and trailer if I didn't settle. I don't envy you having to work with them. Good luck...

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mechbob.......I heard there is a video of this with some choice words coming from the cab of your truck......I sent him the pic and he said that was it.......are you aware of video?

miketphoto

Eight Pointer
Plan on hiring an independent appraiser. My 17 year old’s truck was totaled back in October entirely other driver’s fault. Both of us had Nationwide. Low balled us from the start. Cost $400 for the appraiser but he got us an additional $4800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Mechbob.......I heard there is a video of this with some choice words coming from the cab of your truck......I sent him the pic and he said that was it.......are you aware of video?
I do not know. YES there were some very choice words, lasted for a while, I could give a Rats Butt who heard it.
Also the sorry ass had time to take a video, but not see if the driver was okay or want to stick around to be a witness?

Last edited:

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Yeah theres a instagram page called the Qualified Captain, somebody videoed the incident as they were riding by and posted it to that page.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I saw that and are there a lot of dumb asses out there making comments that don't have a clue. No Straps, Going too fast, that's a Ford, ... All I can say to them the world is round and I can only happens to you!

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I saw that and are there a lot of dumb asses out there making comments that don't have a clue. No Straps, Going too fast, that's a Ford, ... All I can say to them the world is round and I can only happens to you!

Yeah there are some idiots on there, but when i first saw the video i noticed the van pulled off to the side and knew they had to have rearended you. Good luck with the insurance. Any time you deal with any insurance claim its never a good experience.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer

If you didn't/don't like my question about the "straps" I think you know where you can go and what to do when you get there.... It was a damned QUESTION, if it hit home that's your problem, not mine....

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you didn't/don't like my question about the "straps" I think you know where you can go and what to do when you get there.... It was a damned QUESTION, if it hit home that's your problem, not mine....
You are sure getting pissed lately. ....
Whats got into you?

Just a question. ....

No one should get all that pissed in less they have anger or mental problems..
Look into IED.1547131875291536015818.jpg

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I'm not pissed, you ain't seen pissed. Since I was the one that brought up the subject of the rear straps I felt it WAS directed at me and I responded. Punch me and expect to be punched back....

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ I think you are the only one in this forum that comprehended it that way. Everybody else knew the source of his frustration . Hint: it wasn't you. Again..... Uncalled for.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I'm not pissed, you ain't seen pissed. Since I was the one that brought up the subject of the rear straps I felt it WAS directed at me and I responded. Punch me and expect to be punched back....
You made a statement with little on no knowledge of the situation, MAN UP and admit your mistake. The prick hit me going at least 50 mph as I was already turned into the intersection.
But a bunch of No Idea Idiots want to comment, feel free to express.
" Open mouth and remove all Doubt."

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
" Open mouth and remove all Doubt."

That's pretty much what you've done....

Bob, As a retired, trained accident investigator with 20+ years of experience I can usually look at the scene and tell YOU what happened. No doubt the guy hit you from behind at a pretty good speed. My question about the rear straps was based on the fact that the boat outweighs the trailer by probably 2 to 1 yet the boat is way off the trailer and it shouldn't have been. When the boat left the trailer it should have dragged the trailer with it if it was strapped, it didn't. Which tells me the two weren't firmly attached to each other except at the front which is still intact and connected together. YOU say the rig had rear straps, what I see doesn't support that but it doesn't matter, it's all over with except the incident report..... Pick yourself up and move on.....

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

Bob, As a retired, trained accident investigator with 20+ years of experience I can usually look at the scene and tell YOU what happened. No doubt the guy hit you from behind at a pretty good speed. My question about the rear straps was based on the fact that the boat outweighs the trailer by probably 2 to 1 yet the boat is way off the trailer and it shouldn't have been. When the boat left the trailer it should have dragged the trailer with it if it was strapped, it didn't. Which tells me the two weren't firmly attached to each other except at the front which is still intact and connected together. YOU say the rig had rear straps, what I see doesn't support that but it doesn't matter, it's all over with except the incident report..... Pick yourself up and move on.....
Where does it state you must have the straps and what type of straps are needed.
Is that a state code, law or what?
Also have you ever been to a bad accident that was a truck or trailer where the load did not come free when it involves items being strapped down or contained?
Just. Wonder how those binder chains will hold in a roll over or heavy crash say with a lowboy and D9.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
This is what the FMCSA states.
1547155805671536015818.jpg

So for many smaller boats on a 3500 pound max axle if the boat was say 2800 lb would require less than 1000 pounds per each of 3 straps.
If you have the front chained for a total of 4 points less than that to be legal.

What happens after the crash is different. Stuff fails. Would guess that is different.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
WOW, I guess a lot of folks got screwed out of a fair settlement, as the adjuster could not see the whole situation. Thank goodness those involved with my accident have open eyes and can see what happen.
If you do not know what happen, don't say what your think.
Prick yourself as you offer an opinion with no knowledge.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.JPG
    IMG_2028.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_E2058.JPG
    IMG_E2058.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 80

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The straps on the back of my skiff are original that come on it. There is no way in hell they will keep that boat in place in a collision. If the straps didn’t break it would rip the eye bolts out of the frame or the transom.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
The straps on the back of my skiff are original that come on it. There is no way in hell they will keep that boat in place in a collision. If the straps didn’t break it would rip the eye bolts out of the frame or the transom.

Then I would suggest they be replaced, ASAP.

The UTC (Uniform Traffic Code) requires that any and all loads are "secured against being dislodged". You would need to go to D.O.T. in each state to see if they have any state specific requirements. At the time I was with the State of Georgia we enforced state law as well as the UTC and many times an accident was caused by an unsecured load coming loose.
It's obvious that Bob's load (secured or not) was not a cause of the accident in question, it was a result of the accident. Had the boat struck another vehicle after being hit things would be different.
I currently have 3 boats, 2 of which are trailer-able and 1 of those does to 10 to 15K miles per season being pulled all over the country. I see my share of trailer involved mishaps and a LOT of them involve sub standard equipment being used. Nothing last's forever and that goes especially true for items that can UV deteriorate, like bow straps and stern tie downs. And don't get me started on TIRES!!!

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Erie Boat Insurance. No they do not specialize. Never had any claims with them.
I suspect when he hit the motor, it shot the boat up the side fender and when the rig came down that sheared the cast Aluminum Motor Mounts. Jack plate still looks good but I did have the motor jacked all the way up.
The boat flew off the trailer, trailer pivoted on the ball hitch. I could not see or find any damage to to truck other than possible slight damage to the ball carrier.
Searching the web and cannot find a twin to my boat for sale. 2017 Ranger Z518 CI (Note the "I" for Intracoastal.)

I've heard good things about Erie, I'd file the claim with them, you may have to pay deductible but will get it back when its decided it was the other person's fault. I was in an accident in April pulling a trailer, bent the frame of the truck and totaled the trailer, and damaged one of the 2 ATVs on it. Look very closely for truck damage. Allstate (other guys insurance company) totally screwed me, they know working folks don't have time to fight with them. I'd let Erie fight it out for you.

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
Mechanic Bob,

Any update? Things come out good or bad with insurance?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

double

Twelve Pointer

Where does it state you must have the straps and what type of straps are needed.
Is that a state code, law or what?
Also have you ever been to a bad accident that was a truck or trailer where the load did not come free when it involves items being strapped down or contained?
Just. Wonder how those binder chains will hold in a roll over or heavy crash say with a lowboy and D9.

Not trying to get in the fight but to answer your question my buddy flipped a trailer with a backhoe a few months back. When it landed the machine was still on the trailer and all but one binder had held on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk