Any body dealt with your boat being totaled?

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Had a guy, not paying attention while driving, rear ended my boat, knocking it off the trailer, having the motor shear off, and wiping out the trailer.
I have boat insurance and he has Nation Wide.
What am I in for?
Do I need to hire DOWESCREWTHEMANDHOW?

Attachments

• IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 326

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
Any attorney worth his sand should be able to get a large sum for mental anguish but maybe not pain... there surely is suffering.

Sorry about your situation. I’d be sick.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Dang that was you! I saw a few pics of that floating around yesterday. Hate that for you, good luck!

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Yeah, most every guy that drove by was taking picture of the wreck.
At one time in the intersection / road was my mess, two tow trucks, another Dully Pick-up, then GIRLS in their SUV would drive up and wonder why they could not get through. They were totally dumbfounded.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Auto insurance should cover. Start working dealerships & boat trader to find as close a replacement to your boat as possible. Use that to negotiate your compensation.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Been through something similar about 10 or 12 years back. Be prepared for an initial lowball offer to make you whole again. In my case the damage was pretty much limited to the trailer with a few gelcoat scrapes and a broken skeg on the motor. Thankfully it was a small sports car and it went under the boat instead of plowing into the transom/motor. Trailer was bent beyond repair from the impact and the first offer from the adjuster was $250. IIRC it took about 6 months, but they finally replaced the trailer.
IF you get any resistance at all from the other drivers insurance company, lawyer up and go for the throat.

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
Get online and find several boat & motor combinations like yours and print off the ad's.
Fair market value is all you'll get , nothing for your feelings over the loss of the boat or use .

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
BTW
Check your insurance on what they would do.
If they would cover it as replacment or % due to age.
Want to make sure you are not coming up short vs what your insurance would do.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Forgot to mention a few years back - I had a truck totaled by another person. The other ins co wanted to mess around so I filed the accident with my company for a nice sum and my ins co then handled all the legal crap to get their money back from the other driver. May be something to consider if necessary.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Went through this. My truck and my brothers boat. The guy who hit us and myself had farm bureau insurance. They come out and went over my truck and found no damage. My brothers aluminum boat and trailer took a good lick. They give him a couple thousand for it and he got to keep it. He made repairs and still has it. He did have to go toe to toe with the adjuster. I got my agent involved and we got it handled. I'm not sure you will be in for a fight but you will need to stand tall and have your numbers ready. I would get a dealer for that boat involved and have me a replacement cost in writing.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Went through this. My truck and my brothers boat. The guy who hit us and myself had farm bureau insurance. They come out and went over my truck and found no damage. My brothers aluminum boat and trailer took a good lick. They give him a couple thousand for it and he got to keep it. He made repairs and still has it. He did have to go toe to toe with the adjuster. I got my agent involved and we got it handled. I'm not sure you will be in for a fight but you will need to stand tall and have your numbers ready. I would get a dealer for that boat involved and have me a replacement cost in writing.
That's the worst when both sides are the same company.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
There are two parts to any automobile wreck. The property damage is pretty easy and straightforward to handle and should not be a huge issue. Like we said find comparable boat, motor and trailer and have 3 quotes or examples of each and the property side should be settled pretty fast. If his insurance messes around, file with your company and they will settle it and go after other company(I had to do that with a guy that hit me that had USAA.) The pain and suffering part will take longer. The guys insurance company that rear ended me on 95 refused to pay and I had to involve a lawyer. Interestingly, with the lawyer involved the settlement was over 3 times what I initially asked for from his insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Forgot to mention a few years back - I had a truck totaled by another person. The other ins co wanted to mess around so I filed the accident with my company for a nice sum and my ins co then handled all the legal crap to get their money back from the other driver. May be something to consider if necessary.

This is why you have insurance! Let your insurance company deal with the other guys company!!!

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
You say you have "boat insurance", with whom?? If it's a company that specializes in insuring watercraft they are better educated and equipped to handle this than you are, let them handle the situation. A vehicle insurance company is absolutely the worst when it comes to dealing with watercraft, they have no knowledge and no experience....

Something I just noticed in the pic, you did have rear tie downs in place, right?? If not, shame on you...... The boat should have never left the trailer...

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Thanks guys. I do have boat insurance and I am going to see them tomorrow and most likely going to make them handle it. Unfortunately my boat was and is hard to come by. Ranger Bass Boat designed for Salt Water use.

I called a couple of lawyers and unless I had some damage to me, they did not want anything to do with it.

Bailey Boat: You are wrong. I had two straps that tied the boat to the trailer and the force straighten out the hooks. He was going at least 50 MPH when he hit the motor. He launched the boat off the trailer on impact. No Shame on me!

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When we got hit the tie downs on the back were useless. It just broke the straps and the hooks. They are just a feel good type thing and not worth much with a hard impact.

RBR

Six Pointer
As Gadget replied, any sudden issues with the truck? Leaks, sudden vibration, could very well show some symptoms later when it’s too late.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If the force was great enough to bust the motor off the boat it would have been greater than any standard tie downs made today. Most heavy duty straps are rated only for 2500 lb max. You would need chain. That said the tie down rings, bolt for bolt on or tab on the boat and trailer may not even hold that or anything greater.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You say you have "boat insurance", with whom?? If it's a company that specializes in insuring watercraft they are better educated and equipped to handle this than you are, let them handle the situation. ...

What boat insurance you have?
What kind of claims you had and how long to settle them?

thbassin

Button Buck
When we got hit the tie downs on the back were useless. It just broke the straps and the hooks. They are just a feel good type thing and not worth much with a hard impact.

Yeah this !!!! The tie downs are there to keep the boat from moving on the trailer in normal conditions. No way some nylon webbing is going to live through force that can knock the motor off or push the entire boat/trailer/vehicle around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Erie Boat Insurance. No they do not specialize. Never had any claims with them.
I suspect when he hit the motor, it shot the boat up the side fender and when the rig came down that sheared the cast Aluminum Motor Mounts. Jack plate still looks good but I did have the motor jacked all the way up.
The boat flew off the trailer, trailer pivoted on the ball hitch. I could not see or find any damage to to truck other than possible slight damage to the ball carrier.
Searching the web and cannot find a twin to my boat for sale. 2017 Ranger Z518 CI (Note the "I" for Intracoastal.)

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
That new of a boat your insurance I bet has a replacement value and an amount.
Mine is set to pay a set value up to 10 years if I recall.

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
Great looking boat. Sorry for your loss and hope u do not have a mess getting back to fishing. Hard to tell by my view of pic but any chance of buy back after settlement and repair?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Great looking boat. Sorry for your loss and hope u do not have a mess getting back to fishing. Hard to tell by my view of pic but any chance of buy back after settlement and repair?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My biggest fear would be the transom system. What would happen if I am running 70 MPH, hit a small wave, would the transom hold?

Snakeskinner: I am sure that most everyone that drove by after the accident thought I turned too fast and I dumped my boat.