Any bass players on here

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
So I’ve played guitar on and off for years. I learned in a pretty unorthodox way. Never learned music theory. Went from literally never playing any instrument to buying an electric guitar and an amp. Could not play a simple G,C,D chord progression strum pattern, but was playing stuff like Metallica, Lamb of God and Slayer riffs and songs(minus a lot of their solos lol). I could learn faster playing with someone than I could using tabs. I have no issue using tabs, just like playing along side someone better. So I never considered myself an established musician. I just liked to jam. I eventually learned acoustic stuff, chord progressions, blues licks etc. But lately I keep finding myself listening to and watching stuff concerning bass. These days I’m less about the heavily distorted down tuned guitar riffs and more interested in bass grooves. Everything from Steve Harris to Victor Wooten to Geezer Butler to Marcus Miller. I don’t think I’d like jazz if it weren’t for the killer bass. Sometime this year I’ll prob buy a bass and amp. I’m just trying to figure out a starting point for understanding music better. Factoring lessons down in Asheville isn’t too feasible right now but might be in the future. I even considered a music theory class at a community college. I’ve been watching a lot of videos lately and I noticed I use a guitar fretboard more like a bass player than a guitarist. Not sure if that’s the best way to explain it but maybe someone will understand what I mean

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've been meaning to pick up my acoustic again... for many years. Lol. I started like you. Couldn't strum a lick but, I could pick the hell out of some Mr Big, Dave Matthews, Metallica... I tried to learn Tim Reynolds' stuff but, dang... he must've gotten his talent at the crossroads. Haha.

You may like Stefan Lessard's playing. With a mix ranging from Watchtower to Proudest Monkey, there's several differences in the style.

Greatest things about any Dave Matthews concert I've been to: every musician gets a solo(I've seen a several go well past 10 minutes) and rarely is a song played the same way.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I was never real good on string instruments, but I do enjoy me some theory. It’s been several years since I studied much, but I always recommend anyone trying to get better on any instrument to learn a little theory. Circle of fifths, major and natural minor scales, basic chord progressions are all things that you can figure out on your own, but life is sooooooo much easier when you actually lay it out on paper and understand why things are like they are. It all goes hand in hand and you’ll find yourself muddling less and actually playing much much more. The base line especially is responsible for setting the foundation of everything happening above it. Understanding the chords you’re responsible for building is always helpful. Some of the best artists in the world never opened a theory textbook, but think about the hours/years they wasted just fiddle farting around to figure out what goes where and what doesn’t sound great following it. There’s guidelines in theory that already have that laid out for you. Start with the basics and build from there. Who knows, you may be one of those crazy ones that actually enjoy theory and become an uncontrollable nerd anytime the topic is brought up 😳

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I was never real good on string instruments, but I do enjoy me some theory. It’s been several years since I studied much, but I always recommend anyone trying to get better on any instrument to learn a little theory. Circle of fifths, major and natural minor scales, basic chord progressions are all things that you can figure out on your own, but life is sooooooo much easier when you actually lay it out on paper and understand why things are like they are. It all goes hand in hand and you’ll find yourself muddling less and actually playing much much more. The base line especially is responsible for setting the foundation of everything happening above it. Understanding the chords you’re responsible for building is always helpful. Some of the best artists in the world never opened a theory textbook, but think about the hours/years they wasted just fiddle farting around to figure out what goes where and what doesn’t sound great following it. There’s guidelines in theory that already have that laid out for you. Start with the basics and build from there. Who knows, you may be one of those crazy ones that actually enjoy theory and become an uncontrollable nerd anytime the topic is brought up 😳
Thanks for the feedback buddy. Since you don’t play strings, what do you play? I think all instruments are awesome.
I shouldn’t have completely discredited myself. I could tell you every note on every fret/string. I can play you different octaves in various situations. I know scales. And so on. I just need to fill in the gaps. Especially when I’m playing a lick or going on a run across the neck. I’ll get myself in a jam and end up on a note that sounds like hammered dog crap lol.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Listening to Geezer Butler's riffs will make anyone want to play bass.
Rose's are red
Violets are blue
When I listen to sabbath
My neighbors do too
Man oh man when I saw them live years ago, Geezer started to solo about a third of the way thru the song and solo’d for 11 min. I had completely forgotten what song they were playing and all a sudden they picked back up where they left off.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Man oh man when I saw them live years ago, Geezer started to solo about a third of the way thru the song and solo’d for 11 min. I had completely forgotten what song they were playing and all a sudden they picked back up where they left off.
I bet that was amazing. The changing tempo of a lot of their songs is a favorite of mine. Been standing around a campfire in the middle of uwharrie and snow blind or suicide solution starts up and just loose our minds. Back in the day of cassette players that would auto flip to side b a sabbath tape might be played nonstop for 48 hours

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I bet that was amazing. The changing tempo of a lot of their songs is a favorite of mine. Been standing around a campfire in the middle of uwharrie and snow blind or suicide solution starts up and just loose our minds. Back in the day of cassette players that would auto flip to side b a sabbath tape might be played nonstop for 48 hours
Absolutely!

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I am an upright bass player but bluegrass and old country. I also just learn by hearing or seeing someone else play. Understand little about music theory. I was taught to read books photgraphically rather than linearly, so I can't read music well at all. My brain just sees a jumble of dots and lines unless I really concentrate, and then its too slow and no fun.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I am an upright bass player but bluegrass and old country. I also just learn by hearing or seeing someone else play. Understand little about music theory. I was taught to read books photgraphically rather than linearly, so I can't read music well at all. My brain just sees a jumble of dots and lines unless I really concentrate, and then its too slow and no fun.
Yeah I know what you mean. I guess the blessing is there’s more than one way to learn to play music! I think I’m just at this weird stuck point where my hands , eyes, and ears have done all they can do unless I supercharge them with some theory and connect more dots on the fretboard lol. And upright bass bluegrass is absolutely awesome. When one of my metal head buddies asked how I could possibly like bluegrass...I told him the speed and complexity and harmonies is legitimately heavy metal unplugged !

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I tried to learn playing a guitar, fender stratocaster when one of my friends had gotten serious with it enough that he took lessons. I didn't have the time to dedicate to it plus working with my hands all day prevented the dexterity I needed. What I did learn from my friend is if you could get the blues scale down to memory the majority of riffs could and does seem to branch off of it. Don't know if it applies to bass though

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I tried to learn playing a guitar, fender stratocaster when one of my friends had gotten serious with it enough that he took lessons. I didn't have the time to dedicate to it plus working with my hands all day prevented the dexterity I needed. What I did learn from my friend is if you could get the blues scale down to memory the majority of riffs could and does seem to branch off of it. Don't know if it applies to bass though
Oh yeah it’s definitely does. You can do quite a bit with just a few scales. My issue has been branching out and memorizing new ones

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the feedback buddy. Since you don’t play strings, what do you play? I think all instruments are awesome.
I shouldn’t have completely discredited myself. I could tell you every note on every fret/string. I can play you different octaves in various situations. I know scales. And so on. I just need to fill in the gaps. Especially when I’m playing a lick or going on a run across the neck. I’ll get myself in a jam and end up on a note that sounds like hammered dog crap lol.
I used to play a butt ton in the clarinet family and tenor sax. Bb clarinet is where I started and played loads of Bb bass clarinet. I loved playing the Eb sopranino clarinet but it was a bear to control. I always wanted to find someone that had an Ab sopranino to play one time, but there were only like 2 composers that ever wrote for it to speak of, so not much call for anyone to buy. Orchestra playing called A clarinet for the sake of not crying every time I looked at a sheet of music transposed to Bb 😂 and got to play an Eb alto clarinet several times. I wish I owned all of them, but I could probably buy a house for the value of the clarinets people have allowed me to play. And trombone was a lot of fun for dabbling around with jazz.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I used to play a butt ton in the clarinet family and tenor sax. Bb clarinet is where I started and played loads of Bb bass clarinet. I loved playing the Eb sopranino clarinet but it was a bear to control. I always wanted to find someone that had an Ab sopranino to play one time, but there were only like 2 composers that ever wrote for it to speak of, so not much call for anyone to buy. Orchestra playing called A clarinet for the sake of not crying every time I looked at a sheet of music transposed to Bb 😂 and got to play an Eb alto clarinet several times. I wish I owned all of them, but I could probably buy a house for the value of the clarinets people have allowed me to play. And trombone was a lot of fun for dabbling around with jazz.
Dang that’s super cool. I made the mistake of trying to teach myself jazz guitar back when I really couldn’t play worth a crap. It was like Mandarin Chinese lol. I wish I would’ve had this idea earlier in the year...cuz now ill end up with a bass in my hand right when hunting season kicks off 🥴