Any 260 fans

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Just picked one up and started day dreaming of Nov. I had a older Ruger purpose built for bench in 260 that went bye bye in my divorce years ago that I always regretted losing. Anyone that doesn’t know about this round should look into them, creedmore’’s are all the rage now but these 260s run the same pill but about 100fps faster. Not quite as much factory ammo out there as the creed’s but there is enough that it’s not a “dead” caliber.
I didn’t realize until I found this one that DPMS made an AR10 in 260 but this is one hot lil firecracker
d4ab5c3967fddd70bb581293b93d43cc.jpg

Here’s the 5shot grp at 100....zero‘d at 200 so it’s slightly high
120e0c2e2db0cebbb3b16ba7ddcbc2ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Wtg! I built over a dozen for silhouette shooters back in the 80’s & 90’s. Great cartridge along with th 6.5x55 I like em both !

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Wtg! I built over a dozen for silhouette shooters back in the 80’s & 90’s. Great cartridge along with th 6.5x55 I like em both !

I also had a Gustav in 6.5x55 that falls into that “why did I get rid of it” column.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Been shooting one since Christmas of 1999. Remington 700. Lots of dead deer. Will definitely carry it most hunts this year for its 20th anniversary!

Guybo

Eight Pointer
My daughter has a Remington 700 SPS that I put in a CDL wood stock, bedded the action, floated the barrel and added a timney trigger. She's killed lots of deer with it and absolutely loves this rifle. It's very accurate and does a number on deer. She shoots a handloaded Sierra 120gr Pro Hunter.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep. Have a Savage 110 in 260 that is a shooter. It probably doesn't get used as much as it should, but does get outside a bit. Every trigger pull has resulted in a dead deer.
(Well, except for target checks)

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Remington really screed the pouch on the 260. The factory barrels were twisted wrong and never could shoot the heavier 6.5 bullets very well. Once the faster twist barrels were chambered in 260 was the round truly allowed to shine. I have a 260 in a kimber Montana that is a dream to carry and shoot.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Remington really screed the pouch on the 260. The factory barrels were twisted wrong and never could shoot the heavier 6.5 bullets very well. Once the faster twist barrels were chambered in 260 was the round truly allowed to shine. I have a 260 in a kimber Montana that is a dream to carry and shoot.

Agree!! Had a buddy that had one, accuracy with 140s was terrible, 120s did ok but he didn't reload and had a heck of a time finding them...

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns

Yeah and now that the 6.5 creed has gained such traction there are fewer companies making them. Think the DPMS I have was very limited production then stopped all together after a year or 2.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah and now that the 6.5 creed has gained such traction there are fewer companies making them. Think the DPMS I have was very limited production then stopped all together after a year or 2.

Had Remington got the 260 right, I don’t know that you would have ever seen the creed at all. The 260 similarly twisted barrel wise will do everything the creed will and even better. Same can be said about the 6.5 swede. Put that round in a modern action with a fast twist barrel and load it modern pressure standards and the swede leaves them all in the dust....

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep. Have a Savage 110 in 260 that is a shooter. It probably doesn't get used as much as it should, but does get outside a bit. Every trigger pull has resulted in a dead deer.
(Well, except for target checks)

Picked up same thing. Walked in store one day and had one LH with a good price, figured what the heck. Love shooting it.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just picked one up and started day dreaming of Nov. I had a older Ruger purpose built for bench in 260 that went bye bye in my divorce years ago that I always regretted losing. Anyone that doesn’t know about this round should look into them, creedmore’’s are all the rage now but these 260s run the same pill but about 100fps faster. Not quite as much factory ammo out there as the creed’s but there is enough that it’s not a “dead” caliber.
I didn’t realize until I found this one that DPMS made an AR10 in 260 but this is one hot lil firecracker
d4ab5c3967fddd70bb581293b93d43cc.jpg

Here’s the 5shot grp at 100....zero‘d at 200 so it’s slightly high
120e0c2e2db0cebbb3b16ba7ddcbc2ce.jpg

If your on FB there is a 260 group and they make some pretty impressive rounds, very knowledgeable. About half the arrogance of the 6.5 creed crowd too, lol.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The 6.5 creed is a very good round, but I’m tired of hearing about it from the “gun” folks. You all know the ones that are AR, Glock, tacticool. If you are in that crowd, then 6.5 creed is the best thing ever made since turning a rib into a woman.

Most of the ones I go to for experienced answers like the 6.5 creed but insist...it’s nothing really new...just a tweak to stuff we have and not really gaining anything that wasn’t already there.

I’m gonna buy a bolt gun this year. Can’t decide on caliber. I want a full length barrel and most bolt guns now just love the 22”. I may end up with a 30-06 or I may end up going to the 260/6.5 spectrum.

If they pull have made a .308 based .277 years ago, many of the loved rounds now may not be here. 260/6.5/7-08.

Reactions: dpc

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I've got a Savage 11 lefty in .260Rem that shoots very well. I'm lucky enough to have a few deer rifles to choose from and when I went on an out of state hunt a couple of years ago the .260 was the rifle that went along. 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and 130gr Swift Sciroccos have proven accurate and DRT to very short massive blood trail results on deer.

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
The 6.5 creed is a very good round, but I’m tired of hearing about it from the “gun” folks. You all know the ones that are AR, Glock, tacticool. If you are in that crowd, then 6.5 creed is the best thing ever made since turning a rib into a woman.

Most of the ones I go to for experienced answers like the 6.5 creed but insist...it’s nothing really new...just a tweak to stuff we have and not really gaining anything that wasn’t already there.

I’m gonna buy a bolt gun this year. Can’t decide on caliber. I want a full length barrel and most bolt guns now just love the 22”. I may end up with a 30-06 or I may end up going to the 260/6.5 spectrum.

If they pull have made a .308 based .277 years ago, many of the loved rounds now may not be here. 260/6.5/7-08.

If you want speed and a full length barrel the 6.5-06 is a good round and there are thousands of Savage actions that can easily rebarreled to that caliber with any barrel length between 16"-28".

<>< Fish

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns

I’m personally on the fence between the 2... love my tacticool stuff but I ain’t drinking the cool aid on most things. The 6.5 creed is an outstanding caliber and while I have 2 its not doing anything a host of other calibers can do. What it has done though is helped non-reloaders by bringing properly spec’ed barrels and a host of really high quality ammo to the table.
On the 260, I’ve known about them and other 6.5 calibers and that they are some of the most ballistically accurate calibers until you get into the ultra mags with much higher BC’s.
On a bolt gun I prefer mags over LA cartridges so I would be inclined to the 30/06, good caliber just not my taste. Any of the 6.5s will be good for double duty of hunting and target/long range shooting, so that’s probably where I’d go in looking for calibers.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve got a buddy who loves the .308 and was showing me the speed of it. With the chrono, it could beat one of my old .30-06 hunting auto guns. I just can’t get it through that his 4 extra inches of barrel and not losing gas to function the action is why it is faster in that example. He is forever convinced that the .308 is the faster round.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve got a buddy who loves the .308 and was showing me the speed of it. With the chrono, it could beat one of my old .30-06 hunting auto guns. I just can’t get it through that his 4 extra inches of barrel and not losing gas to function the action is why it is faster in that example. He is forever convinced that the .308 is the faster round.

Yeah that doesn’t make any sense.... it may be faster this instance but in barrels/actions of the same length and action/ammo the 06 is about 150-300 FPS faster. That’s like saying pinto’s are faster than corvettes because you passed a vette with a flat tire

ScLowCountry

Six Pointer
I have a buddy that shoots a model 7 260. Stack the deer like cord wood. I want one. I just have too many guns. I hate having rifles that never get used

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
What kinda optics are you going with or went with. Having that in a semi auto platform is pretty awesome. The 260 is a reloaders dream gun. A legit 1400yd gun according to a lot of folks. At least at steel.
Good find

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
What kinda optics are you going with or went with. Having that in a semi auto platform is pretty awesome. The 260 is a reloaders dream gun. A legit 1400yd gun according to a lot of folks. At least at steel.
Good find

Burris eliminator 3 3-12x44. I enjoy Long Range shooting and don’t mind coming up with shooting solutions but I don’t wanna be doing advanced math to shoot a buck in low-light with a 7 second window to pull the trigger

herman

Six Pointer
Since the rm 260 first came out it has been my goto rifle for deer.Everyone I have had has been a shooter.
The first one was a rem mtn rifle ,the second one was a ruger and the 3rd one was a BDL I traded the mtn rifle for because it had a 24 in barrel.
The ruger a fellow talked me out of for his son.
The BDL I have up graded the stock to a boyds thumbhole and put in a jewel trigger.
Have taken deer with it out 500 yds.
Have a semi custom savage action with a shelin barrel.It has won a 300yd egg shoot by busting 4 eggs in a row.
When I was shooting competion I took it to a 600 yd shoot and it avaraged 2.5 in for 2o shots.
I also have a savage 6.5 creed and about the same fps as the 260.

Thinking of selling this one because I do.t shoot comp anymore.

Crappie man

Six Pointer
I have a buddy that shoots a model 7 260. Stack the deer like cord wood. I want one. I just have too many guns. I hate having rifles that never get used
There is a stainless Model 7 .260 on Speeddogs for a good price if it hasn’t been sold. I have a .260 Mtn rifle and it is definitely my favorite deer gun.Always shot 120 gr bullets best.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
There is a stainless Model 7 .260 on Speeddogs for a good price if it hasn’t been sold. I have a .260 Mtn rifle and it is definitely my favorite deer gun.Always shot 120 gr bullets best.

That’s what bryguy mentioned, earlier barrels twist rate 1/10 was better suited for 100-120gn pills and newer barrels with a 1/7.5 twist can handle 140s with no problem

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah faster twists seems to be a panacea for a lot of older cartridges. I have a 6mm creed and love the gun. It is a savage 10t. Recoil is almost non existent, with the 105 and 108 bullets it is flat and doesn’t drift to bad way out there. BUT it doesn’t do anything that a 243 with the same twist barrel couldn’t do, and the 243 may do it a bit better and faster then the 6 creed will do. Modern bullets have changed the game for all kinds of cartridges new and old.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Had a Ruger M77 in 260 Rem. Loved it. Shot terrible till a buddy handloaded some Hornady sst’s For it. Never looked back after that. Killed the biggest deer I’ve ever killed with it at 240 yards. Killed two hogs with it as well. Both head shots.
I had an opportunity to buy back my 700 Classic in 25/06. It was the first rifle I ever bought. After that, I sold the 260 to a good friend for his son. He’s 13 now and a straight up killer with that lil 260. IMO, the 260 IS the perfect youth rifle. My M77 had almost zero recoil, but...I got another buddy who has a model 7 in 260 and he says it kicks like a mule. I’ve tried to buy it but his grandpa gave to him as a graduation present and he said he’d never sell it.