Another yard spraying question

flathead977

Ten Pointer
grass.JPG This stuff has taken over a big section of my back yard. I am thinking about speedzone, but I am not sure what it is or if there is a better chemical to put on it. Hoping to get some input from some of you guys that know more than me about this. I will also probably be spraying some clover when I do this. I may end up with no grass to cut after spraying. Clover is in the front and this stuff is in the back. lol

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What kind of grass do you have? That bit of info is most important before any recommendations can be made.

flathead977

Ten Pointer
Mostly fescue I think. I have sowed what was supposed to be turf type grass seed in the past when I had some stumps removed and resowed a few sections.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If it's fescue or turf type fescue I would spray it with 2-4-D for the broadleaf weeds. Clover is much harder to kill but Banvel will get it. These two can be mixed and sprayed at the same time.

Last edited:

farmmandave

Eight Pointer
Banvel is dicamba. Dicamba (Benzoic acid) and 2-4D (phenozy acid) are both group 4 herbicides.

I would only spray one. 2-4D can kill clover, but it will take longer and might have to spray a second time.

When I tank mix chemicals. I like to have different modes of action.

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've never had any luck on clover with 2-4-D regardless of application rate or frequency. YMMV

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, plantain. Any good broadleaf herbicide should do the job. Add a little surfactant if you want, just to make sure.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Speedzopne with a 1/2 oz./gal. of 820 (or another surfactant). It'll kill both, easily.

I'd be thinking about why the plantain is there in the 1st place. Check your pH.